Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,471 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
12f Mane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's an eastern black-necked garter snake. They are hill county and west animals and it's likely a frog in the belly. One of our most beautiful snakes, IMO.
HuntingGMan
AG
Thanks, 12f Mane. One of the locals suggested that we had seen what he called a "blacksnake". Now I know the rest of the story.
CSTXAg92
AG
12f Mane said:

That's an eastern black-necked garter snake. They are hill county and west animals and it's likely a frog in the belly. One of our most beautiful snakes, IMO.
Thanks 12f Mane! I agree, it was a beautiful snake. And it was not in a hurry to go anywhere either. Good to know we've got them around.
Bassmaster
AG
I had an interesting encounter over the weekend, but couldn't get a pic. I found an isolated pond in the woods near my house (thanks google maps) and hauled my kayak down there with the 4 wheeler. Little pond was loaded with bass. I caught one that was about 2 lbs and reach in his mouth to get the hook out and poking out of his throat was a snake head. It was still alive as it opened its mouth at me but was unable to move as it was almost completely ingested by the bass. I couldn't tell what kind it was as I saw just the head. I didn't have my phone handy and was not about to look around for it while holding that fish.
FrioAg 00
AG
That's a really neat story.
Brush Country
Welp, guess I'm not lipping my bass anymore.
Tursiops93
AG
A couple pics I got of the several snakes that live around the golf course pond behind my house. I spooked up 7-8 of them this morning.

JM84

Posted on Facebook by a friend. Hognose?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yes sir
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Diamondback water snakes
Tursiops93
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Diamondback water snakes
yessir! Thanks to this board I actually was able to determine that! Actually had an argument with one of the golf course workers because he swears they are cottonmouths because of the "Triangular" head...LOL. Saw a couple that resembled checkered garter snakes in the water, but I am not sure if they swim or if they were something else.
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Diamondback water snakes

And they get large!!!!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
That they do. You should see the size fish a 4-5fter will eat.
Tursiops93
AG
Our-turn-to-rule said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Diamondback water snakes

And they get large!!!!
That one I got the pic of looked to be at least 3-4 feet long and was quite thick. Scares the hell out of golfers that go looking for balls down there!
CowtownAg06
AG
Saw this guy crossing the running trail by Buffalo Bayou under Memorial in Houston this afternoon. I saw another one swimming in the bayou but couldn't get a good enough shot.

tex2000
AG
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/f9ZOX

I know it's not poisonous, but what is the species? My guess was speckled king snake?
12f Mane
AG
Looks like a buttermilk racer to me. North of Houston?
12f Mane
AG
Good looking hognose
CowtownAg06
AG
That's what I thought but thanks for the confrim.
tex2000
AG
Yes it was
Qfaced~ag
Qfaced~ag
AG

First time I've seen one in the wild
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Where at?
Qfaced~ag
AG
Outside of Bandera, near Sisterdale.
Rookie_91
AG

I give up.
Mathguy64
AG
Snakes in Thailand. Nope.

SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Cameron park zoo sent out an update on their special snake. Should be on display late summer!

12f Mane
AG
JM84 said:

I missed this one earlier. What a great looking snake
The D
AG
Buddy sent to me.

Said it had pretty good length.

Told him I think rat snake
carpe vinum
AG
12f Mane said:

JM84 said:

I missed this one earlier. What a great looking snake
I had to do a doubletake when I saw this because I thought my wife had a texags account. I knew I didn't take it, but we saw the near exact snake Saturday. Carpe milkum spotted him first, and hollered. Perfect markings, and behavior. Fun to see right in our back yard.
Badace52
AG
You are correct...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CowtownAg06
AG
I'm guessing that one was on the 2016 thread but I had missed it. Here's an article about the two headed snake from last September.

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/environment/two-headed-snake-slithers-into-cameron-park-zoo/article_b452198a-ace3-5ff9-90c0-d27e3598f174.html
JM84
This one was spotted midday by a SAHM in a neighborhood just south of College Station. One of the other neighborhood housewives apparently attempted to kill it with a shovel, but fortunately it got away.
Ags20-10_'75
S
My mom killed this Coral this morning in College Station.

Badace52
AG
Big one
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.