Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,532 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
Badace52
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The "very, very, very deadly" part is definitely not accurate. See my previous post above.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
OnlyForNow
AG
The neuro-toxin they possess is very dangerous/deadly would be a more accurate statement.

Whether or not getting bitten results in death seems to me not as pronounced.
NoahAg
tx4guns said:

I want a hognose as a pet so bad.
Here you go.

http://ultimatereptiles.com
ursusguy
AG
You may be able to confirm or deny, my understanding is the venom is bad, but once in the hospital isn't particularly hard manage.
Ptery83
carpe vinum
AG
He seems nice.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
carpe vinum said:

He seems nice.

Looks like he just wants a big ol' kiss on them purty white lips...
12f Mane
AG
That's a really good photo
BuddysBud
AG
I probably would have been dead because it took me a while to see this nice guy with purty white lips in the picture.
Ptery83
Thanks! I let it be thanks mainly to this thread. Was walking creek bottoms looking for pigs. Just took a pic then kept walking.
ursusguy
AG
Neat photo
4stringAg
AG
Speckled king snake? Or something else? Seen today in Memphis TN. Very docile and let me handle him with no aggression at all.

ttha_aggie_09
jbanda
AG
This guy was at my doorstep minutes ago. Didn't have the arrow shaped head so I let him on his way into our front flower beds. He was about the diameter of one of those fat pencils you used in kindergarten.

Texas rat snake?

ttha_aggie_09
AG
That appears to be a young rat snake. Definitely non-venomous.
zooguy96
tx4guns said:

I want a hognose as a pet so bad.

I have a western hognose. It eats frozen thawed mice. I got him from a friend. I used to have about 6 westerns, 4 Mexican hognoses, 2 easterns, 2 speckled madagascans, and 2 giant Madagascans.

You can find them on kingsnake.com under classifieds. They'll go anywhere from $50 and up, depending on size, color, etc

Westerns will still typically hood, but not play dead. The playing dead is usually only seen in the wild ones.
tx4guns
AG
Any disadvantages to the albino sold in shops?
zooguy96
tx4guns said:

Any disadvantages to the albino sold in shops?

No, that's just a color variation. No issues whatsoever. I have a student who has one - it's fine.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Ran across another person today spewing the falsehood of rattlesnakes today. If you're not up to speed, feral hogs are NOT impacting the rattling of rattle snakes, despite the viral spread of the contrary...

Please know that rattlesnakes often don't rattle, even when closely encountered. This has nothing to do with behavior and more so to do with vulnerability of exposing their position to a potential threat.

Most of the rattlers I have encountered in the wild do not rattle until provoked. Im so sick of hearing this from people who have no idea what they're taking about.
Bunk Moreland
Came across this guy getting some sun in Nantucket neighborhood in CS today.

AZAG08
AG
Kicked up a ribbon snake doing the yard yesterday. Just missed it with the weed eater.

He sluggishly disappeared under the fence to the pasture behind our house
zooguy96
MemAg92 said:

Speckled king snake? Or something else? Seen today in Memphis TN. Very docile and let me handle him with no aggression at all.

Looks like a king snake. I haven't seen any here in E tenn - mostly just black rat snakes and corn snakes.
4stringAg
AG
I've seen a few speckled kings over this way over the years but most of the time I'm seeing water snakes, moccasins, and copperheads given I'm usually fishing or near water when I see snakes
carpe vinum
AG
Sorry, no pics, but carpe milkum found a hognose in the backyard yesterday. I didn't know they could swim, but after he put on his show of flattening out he bailed right into the pond.

Then today he ran across a red line ribbon, and followed him around for a long time.
jah003
S
Found this guy (or girl) on the front porch yesterday...

Google tells me Checkered Garter Snake.
HuntingGMan
AG

Ran across several of these while I was cycling the Katy Trail through Missouri last week. When we rode up on this one, he was stretched motionless across the trail. I took a few pictures of him from various angles. I wasn't even sure he was still alive.

He finally woke up when we nudged his tail a little bit.

Can anyone tell me what this one is?

Had some trouble getting pictures to post from Photobucket.

Thanks for the help Ol Jock.
Ol Jock 99
AG
EFE
AG
Eastern indigo?
Badace52
AG
Pretty sure that's just a texas rat snake with an unusually dark color phase.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Qfaced~ag
AG

?
EFE
AG
Rough earth snake
tx4guns
AG
That's a legendary hoop snake!

Ryan C. Whittenberg
AG

Found this little guy back home in Midland. Something got a hold of him right before I found him. Can someone identify it for me?
12f Mane
AG
Ratsnakes a in Missouri are considered black ratsnakes
CSTXAg92
AG

TexAgs - I live in Austin and found this little fella by the pool this evening. Looks like he (she?) may have just had a meal (rodent control?). I Googled "snake + orange + stripe + on+ back" and from the results I think it is a Plains Garter Snake, but I'd really appreciate the collective wisdom of TexAgs to confirm or let me know otherwise. Thanks in advance!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.