Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,525 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
trip
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That is a new one. I don't kill any snakes but I would have given him a wide birth and then exaggerated the story later. He would have at 2.5 inch fangs by the time I was done.

Lets keep the non venomous to humans out of it.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
12f Mane said:

I got bit by one in Costa Rica and it got a little swollen/red with some tingle (TWSS) but wasn't a big deal.
The snake?
AG
Outside the front door in the top of a holly bush, texas brown would be my horrible guess but not confident at all, really cool looking pattern on the head. San Antonio, pre-Harvey.

12f Mane
AG
Young Coachwhip. Let him ride out the storm with you.
AG
12f Mane said:

Young Coachwhip. Let him ride out the storm with you.
Damn, that is really cool. He backed off when I brought everyone out to see him and slithered away safely.
Daddy-O5
AG
Friend posted on FB, just wanted confirmation of ID.

https://imgur.com/a/8vifr

I suck I posting from mobile.
12f Mane
AG
Not showing up for me
magnumtmp
AG
For JD.

Daddy-O5
AG
Thanks magnum. I'm starting to feel old when I can't figure out technology.
magnumtmp
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

Thanks magnum. I'm starting to feel old when I can't figure out technology.

No problem. On iPhone, you have to tap the picture first to bring up only the picture, then copy the link. I have the Imgur app...that probably makes it easier.
12f Mane
AG
Good sized Texas ratsnake
Daddy-O5
AG
That's what I was thinking. I think it was the size threw me for a second so thanks for the confirmation.
Long Live Sully
AG

Rat snake? Found him today in my barn while I was rearranging all the junk I should throw away. He never moved in 4-5 hours.
AZAG08
AG
Im going to take a stab and say buttermilk racer?
Long Live Sully
AG
AZAG08 said:

Im going to take a stab and say buttermilk racer?
I took a look at web images for buttermilk racers and they look different to me. And I am in the Hill Country. Wiki puts those in southern and east Texas.
12f Mane
AG
Good sized Texas ratsnake
JD Shellnut
AG
Those rat snakes seem to have a lot of variability in their looks.
Long Live Sully
AG
Thanks. I hope he stays around.
AZAG08
AG
Drifter. said:

Those rat snakes seem to have a lot of variability in their looks.
throws me off every time
BuddysBud
AG
Neighbor in Northern Grimes County saw this guy a couple weeks ago. He said it was a timber rattler with seven buttons. Is this is a timber rattle snake? I did not think that I might see one in this area.

MemphisAg1
AG
BuddysBud said:

Neighbor in Northern Grimes County saw this guy a couple weeks ago. He said it was a timber rattler with seven buttons. Is this is a timber rattle snake? I did not think that I might see one in this area.

Yep, that's a timber rattler. The yellow streak running down the back, combined with the bands, is a signature mark.
BuddysBud
AG
Thanks, Memphis. Now I have something else I need to watch for when I am walking the property.
OnlyForNow
AG
Also, look at his "velvet tail".
12f Mane
AG
BuddysBud said:

What an awesome ****ing photo! Looks like it is in squirrel ambush position
BuddysBud
AG
It did not get any squirrels this time. It was too close to the neighbor's grandkids that were playing in the yard. He said that he moved it to the back of his property. He did not say how he moved it. He wanted to let me know in case I run into it. I would not mind if it took out a few squirrels and groundhogs at my place.
ellebee
I had another snake thread dream. Found several in this hole and yelled "BRING ME THE CAMERA!!"
The Original AG 76
AG
BuddysBud said:

It did not get any squirrels this time. It was too close to the neighbor's grandkids that were playing in the yard. He said that he moved it to the back of his property. He did not say how he moved it. He wanted to let me know in case I run into it. I would not mind if it took out a few squirrels and groundhogs at my place.
Grimes county as in OUR Grimes County ??? Not to doubt this but perhaps one of our experts could comment on a timber rattler in this part of the world.
When you said " moved" are you telling us that your friend moved a live timber rattler ?? Really ! Brave man..I hope he was a well trained experienced snake guy.
12f Mane
AG
They are not uncommon in the wooded portions of Grimes, especially the northern portion of the county
OnlyForNow
AG
Caught a small one on our family property that is in North Zulch and Grimes County about 15 years ago. Only one we've ever seen though, but he came from Somewhere.
barney94
AG
76 - yes, timber rattlers are in this part of the world. I've seen two of them on our place this year out in Eastern Brazos County near the Navasota River. One with 11 rattles, about 6 ft long, and another 4 footer.

In neither case did I have the time or inclination to snap a picture.

BuddysBud
AG
Yes, it was Grimes County, Texas between Keith and Iola. Since his property is wooded, as is the back of my property, it fits 12f's description. You might say that my neighbor had a lot of experience handling the two legged variety of venomous snakes, but I do not know if he has experience handing the legless kind. He is one of the few neighbors who does not kill every snake he sees.

Several years ago another neighbor had mentioned running over an eight foot timber rattler on the road, but I always took what he said with a grain of salt. At the time I interpreted an eight foot long rattle snake to be a four foot rat snake. Maybe he actually did see a timber rattler.
carpe vinum
AG
12f Mane said:

They are not uncommon in the wooded portions of Grimes, especially the northern portion of the county
It's my understanding they are fairly common in Southern Brazos as well, though I have never seen on on my place here.
https://i.imgur.com/uReoXE6.gif
Badace52
AG
I really wish my friends would ask me what kind of snake it is before they kill it...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jgh85Ag
AG
That's an 8 foot rattler, right?

Or hognose?
Badace52
AG
One of those two...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.