Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,431 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
Badace52
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've explained this several times already on this thread, but moccasin refers to any water going snake (i.e. water snake). The cottonmouth is the only water moccasin native to the United States that is venomous. Water moccasin is a general term that people take to be synonymous with cottonmouth, but it is actually more of a synonym for water snake.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
AG
It literally means water snake.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Badace52 said:

I've explained this several times already on this thread, but moccasin refers to any water going snake (i.e. water snake). The cottonmouth is the only water moccasin native to the United States that is venomous. Water moccasin is a general term that people take to be synonymous with cottonmouth, but it is actually more of a synonym for water snake.

Well I've missed it but I've never, ever considered a moccasin to be synonymous with just "water snake." Nor have I heard people who can properly ID snakes refer to them as such, only people who can't properly ID them. In fact, Wikipedia notes that it specifically refers to the viper.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Man, the snakes have been active on the Upper East Side recently.

Another copperhead showing up at somebody's house:

Badace52
AG
Just look up the definition of the word water moccasin ( google water moccasin definition) and you will see it includes all snakes of the genus Nerodia. Nice underhanded insinuation that I have no idea what I'm talking about btw...
Badace52
AG
The word moccasin is Algonquin for shoe BTW. It's a weird usage of that word anyway to call snakes moccasins and etymologists don't know why Americans do it. Call the snake a cottonmouth and there will never be confusion.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Badace52 said:

Just look up the definition of the word water moccasin ( google water moccasin definition) and you will see it includes all snakes of the genus Nerodia. Nice underhanded insinuation that I have no idea what I'm talking about btw...

No insinuation whatsoever. But you're literally the only person I've ever heard say that moccasin is an acceptable synonym for any snake other than a cottonmouth. Every other one has been somebody who tried to claim that some other species of water snake was a cottonmouth and venomous.
EFE
AG
Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
Badace52
AG
The original moccasin word referred to copperhead to confuse to matter even further. The "water" distinction in water moccasin was originally meant to distinguish the two types of venomous snake. However as time passed using moccasin for copperhead fell out of favor and water moccasin came to mean any water snake (probably because people are so bad at identification of cottonmouths).
BuddysBud
AG
My understanding is that those who really know their snakes use "cottonmouth" and avoid using "water moccasin".
Scoopen Skwert
AG
I love it when y'all get down verbally.
12f Mane
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Man, that's a beautiful snake.
Fairview
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."

DifferenceMaker Ag
And here all this time I thought moccasin was synonymous with soft soled footwear made principally of tanned leather of some such.

hillcountryag86
AG
Let the academics separate moccasin from cottonmouth.

Most of us grew up referring to them both as the same snake. Will continue to do so.
Oogway
12f Mane said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

Man, that's a beautiful snake.
Yeah, I am scared of the venomous snakes, and that one looks disgustingly healthy, but it is pretty.
evestor1
Which part of the Upper East side do you live around? I havent seen anything other than water snakes and a few grass snakes since March... in March we had a run of copperhead in our flowerbeds every night for 10 days!

Finn Maccumhail
AG
evestor1 said:

Which part of the Upper East side do you live around? I havent seen anything other than water snakes and a few grass snakes since March... in March we had a run of copperhead in our flowerbeds every night for 10 days!

Summerwood.

Haven't seen a snake in our yard in quite some time but there are a lot of folks who back up to the flood control canals or nature preserve areas who have them frequently. We used to see tons of hogs and deer but they tend to stay to the E/SE edge now- still in decent numbers but more wary. Other than frogs, toads, and lizards the only snake I've found recently was a dead, dried out brown snake in the garage.
MemphisAg1
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

Let the academics separate moccasin from cottonmouth.

Most of us grew up referring to them both as the same snake. Will continue to do so.
Me too. I don't remember what caused me to call it one or the other. Probably cottonmouth when telling friends how I killed them with my bare hand.... while the other was tied behind my back, and water moccasin when I saw them from a distance.
12f Mane
AG

agcrock2005
AG
Top guy looks cool...bottom one seems like he's an *******.
reveille23

Lots of copperheads lately. This one didn't make it across the road. Gonzales county this morning. Been coming up here for 20 years, that's the first copperhead I've seen here.
txags92
AG
reveille23 said:

Lots of copperheads lately. This one didn't make it across the road. Gonzales county this morning. Been coming up here for 20 years, that's the first copperhead I've seen here.
They are moving in because the hogs have caused the rattlers to stop rattling.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Bloody hell- some dude (I hesitate to say "man") just posted a comment to the recent copperhead pics, "don't relocate it, kill it before it kills a person."

I really need the eye roll emoticon.
ellebee
Finn Maccumhail said:

Bloody hell- some dude (I hesitate to say "man") just posted a comment to the recent copperhead pics, "don't relocate it, kill it before it kills a person."

I really need the eye roll emoticon.

I got you. Not eye roll but accurately portrays this situation.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Not a snake but cool sighting in Uvalde County

ellebee
Horned frog?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
ellebee said:

Horned frog?

Texas Spiny lizard, I believe.
12f Mane
AG
That's a crevice spiny lizard. Very cool.
txags92
AG
Let's test y'all a bit if we are doing lizards...

agent-maroon
AG
Iguana?
12f Mane
AG
That's a good one. I don't know, but my guess would by a species specific to one of the Caribbean islands.
txags92
AG
agent-maroon said:

Iguana?
Yes. But what kind?
txags92
AG
12f Mane said:

That's a good one. I don't know, but my guess would by a species specific to one of the Caribbean islands.
You are on the right track.
agent-maroon
AG
Assuming it's found in Texas... so, maybe Mexican Spinytail Iguana?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.