Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,524 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
Spotted Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
12f Mane said:

Find the rattle?
Unfortunately, no
Covidians, Communists, CNN, FOX, and all other MSM are enemies of the state and should be treated as such.
MouthBQ98
AG
Another friend found my minnow trap...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WiMyao][/url]
12f Mane
agcrock2005
AG
That's awesome and scary how many you're catching. Hopefully not too close to your house!
4stringAg
AG
Man, do you live in copperhead alley?

So on the traps, what attracts them into the trap if they are not baited?
OnlyForNow
AG
you put it along a barrier and they just slither into it.
MouthBQ98
AG
They get caught moving along the fence line. Barber wire fence, but the grass under it is thicker and taller.
Serious Lee
missed opportunity for steve earle joke
Ranger1743
AG
http://imgur.com/a/1Wtjh

Any help on these in North Carolina? Was thinking Copperhead and either Rat snake or Racer.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Looks like an alphabet string link 404 error snek
Ranger1743
AG
Whoops, thanks, fixed it
MouthBQ98
AG
[url=https://flic.kr/p/WcDue4][/url]

Found another little guy in the front yard this evening. I'm getting pretty good at this. This one was very ornery and bitey.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Second one is definitely a copperhead

First one is tough without setting the head, but I'm gonna guess rat or yb watersnake.

ETA images:

SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Is it just the lighting or was the snake really that gray/silver? She's a beaut and that coloration looks awesome
agent-maroon
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WcDue4][/url]

Found another little guy in the front yard this evening. I'm getting pretty good at this. This one was very ornery and bitey.

Have you started marking them yet? If not, then maybe you've already caught him once or twice before and the attitude is in response to you hauling him off of his home turf every other night.

Great pics
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ellebee
He should superglue little neon mohawks to their heads.
Your Friend
Mouth, good on you for not killing them
ellebee
I had a dream last night that I was in a place infested with all kinds of snakes (and got bit by what I thought was a coach whip) and I was like "I NEED MY PHONE TO TAKE PICS! THEY'LL NEVER BELIEVE ME!"
MouthBQ98
AG
Speaking of coachwhip, I just found a 5 foot shed. Now I have a day shift helping me hunt copperheads, except he doesn't set them free I imagine.
Sean98
AG
Tell him to invite some friends.
ellebee
MouthBQ98 said:

Speaking of coachwhip, I just found a 5 foot shed. Now I have a day shift helping me hunt copperheads, except he doesn't set them free I imagine.

BUT DID YOU GET THE MINI NEON MOHAWKS???
SabineAg
AG
Where are you at that you're finding all these copperheads?
ellebee
Hell. He's in hell.
MouthBQ98
AG
Paige, TX, west of Giddings, out in ranch country in the post oak belt. No capture last night, surprisingly.
ttha_aggie_09
MouthBQ98
AG
Walked up to the fence this afternoon talking on my phone, looked down at my feet, and in a small depression between them, emerging from an old gopher hole, another copperhead. He backed into the hole and I couldn't capture him, so I buried the entrance, since I needed to let my dogs out. Fate will determine if it lives, if there is another entrance somewhere on the far side of the fence.
DifferenceMaker Ag
Good lord man. You seriously need to consider something a little more drastic.

ellebee
White phosphorous will burn a hole to the center of the earth. Might solve his little snake problem.
CSTXAg92
AG
Dale Earnhardts Stache said:

Uncle Gunnysack said:

80 vials of antivenom? any guesses what this guys bill will be?

A friend of mine knows Milton. He told me they were billing him at $15k a pop.

80 x $15,000 = $1,200,000
Brush Country
For the experts, if BQ has that many, is it not a matter of time before He or someone in the family gets tagged inadvertently?

I'd be calling uhaul right now.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Brush Country said:

For the experts, if BQ has that many, is it not a matter of time before He or someone in the family gets tagged inadvertently?

I'd be calling uhaul right now.

Not true... you would be surprised how many people live around large populations of venomous snakes and never have an encounter. Most likely because they don't venture into the areas where snakes are cruising around.

Look at all the descriptions BQ has had.... most of them are non-aggressive despite being on top of them on several occasions. Sure, you'll have your ornery guy every once in a while but unprovoked bites are not very common.

Dogs on the other hand may be a different story. They tend to "investigate" things a little more.
Brush Country
Don't know if he's said how big the yard is or not. But seems like if there are that many it'd only be a matter of time before accidentally stepping on or grabbing one.

Met a lady at a tailgate once who was doing some gardening, reached into a potted plant and got tagged on the hand by one. She had a helluva time getting healed where she could use the hand again.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I can bet you that BQ and his family will not be pulling weeds out of their yard without some thorough searching beforehand. Knowing snakes are around and taking precautionary measures (I.e relocating them) eliminates a lot of the risk.
MouthBQ98
AG
I do the great majority of activities likely to encounter a snake, and I know to look out for them. My big concern is expensive vet bills but I am taking steps to mitigate that. When it cools off they will be less of an issue.

Pretty soon, I may have some yard birds to help me keep them in check.
TxLawDawg
AG
N/M

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.