Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,483 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
GiggityGoo13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well better safe than sorry for his 2 year old playing in the garage. Thanks for the help though.
carpe vinum
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Your BIL needs to stop being a little girl and afraid of 12" harmless snakes. His rodent populations thanks him.

/half kidding
I want to post that I wish a plague of rats upon the dolts that kill snakes that aren't doing anything but good, then I remember who I'm dealing with a lot of the time..

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Haha!

I'll never question people when they are doing what they think is protecting their family.

The problem is people failing to EVER learn the types of snakes that are actually harmful. In most cases, we are talking 2-4 venomous snakes in the region.

1.) Coral - black and yellow... (you're colored blind if you don't know what they look like)

2.) Copperhead - pretty easy to tell given color and size but can see confusion with a hognose and possibly broadband water snake (just bc of the bright colors - despite being mostly black)

3.) Rattlesnake - does it have a rattle?

4.) water moccasin - tricky, but a little education can eliminate species like a rat snake from the possible imposters.

I'm not advocating for people playing with non-venomous snakes but it's important, especially with children, to teach that snakes can be very bad but also serve a purpose in nature.

carpe vinum
AG
Oh, I get it.

You pull posts of mine just a few years ago and I was turrible at IDing, but I recognized my blindspot, and got better at it.

Blindspots are funny things, you can't see'em.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
carpe vinum said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Your BIL needs to stop being a little girl and afraid of 12" harmless snakes. His rodent populations thanks him.

/half kidding
I want to post that I wish a plague of rats upon the dolts that kill snakes that aren't doing anything but good, then I remember who I'm dealing with a lot of the time..

Stupid and unable to identify 100's of species of snakes at a glance are hardly the same thing....
carpe vinum
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

carpe vinum said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

/half kidding

Stupid and unable to identify 100's of species of snakes at a glance are hardly the same thing....
Here ya go, slappy.
I was bad at it too.
Quote:

Oh, I get it.

You pull posts of mine just a few years ago and I was turrible at IDing, but I recognized my blindspot, and got better at it.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
You're not stupid... but your approach is a common mistake. Don't think about it as learning hundreds of species. Learn the dangerous ones first, which should only be a handful, and then you can slowly accumulate knowledge on the others.

And it's hard. You have to remember that nature is very good at disguising itself as something it's not. There is a reason most water snakes flatten out their head to make it look triangular when provoked.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
carpe vinum said:

Tx-Ag2010 said:

carpe vinum said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

/half kidding

Here ya go, slappy.
I was bad at it too.
Quote:

Oh, I get it.

like I said being terrible at ID'ing snakes does not equate to intelligence... Only a willingness to learn about snakes.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

You're not stupid... but your approach is a common mistake. Don't think about it as learning hundreds of species. Learn the dangerous ones first, which should only be a handful, and then you can slowly accumulate knowledge on the others.

And it's hard. You have to remember that nature is very good at disguising itself as something it's not. There is a reason most water snakes flatten out their head to make it look triangular when provoked.

Every time I think I have a rat snake figured out... It turns out it was just a juvenile water moccasin...
ttha_aggie_09
12th Man Ag
AG
Son killed a young coral snake in the front yard last night. About 8-10 nches. We are in Fall Creek in Humble.

trip98
AG
12th Man Ag said:

Son killed a young coral snake in the front yard last night. About 8-10 nches. We are in Fall Creek in Humble.

just keep them in your yard!!!
BCO07
AG
I want to see a wild coral snake so bad. I grew up in the piney woods and was always outside and never saw one.
12th Man Ag
AG
BCO07 said:

I want to see a wild coral snake so bad. I grew up in the piney woods and was always outside and never saw one.
This is the third one we have killed in 7 years. I guess I should capture them and take them to the zoo or something, but we haven't done that yet. I get nervous because the 2nd one we found was when our dogs were "playing" with it. Dogs and barefoot kiddos seem like a bad combination with coral snakes, but maybe I am over reacting.
1990AG
AG
the only one I have ever seen in the wild was in Nacogdoches in the woods behind our house
1990AG
AG
THIS particular one seems harmless enough.

You can see there is no arrowhead shaped head here to be scared of!!
4stringAg
AG
So with coral snakes, what is myth from truth? I've always heard they are rear-fanged and have to "gnaw" on you to inject venom so the chances of an envenomation are pretty low with them. True/false?

ttha_aggie_09
AG
False. Low chance of being injected because they are relatively docile and just rarely bite.
JM84
They actually have a pair of small fixed front fangs and they're relatively docile, but they'll definitely bite if you mess with them enough. One of my dumb friends found that out the hard way a few years ago, but luckily didn't suffer any permanent damage from the bite.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
So he was handling it?
12th Man Ag
AG
1990AG said:

THIS particular one seems harmless enough.

You can see there is no arrowhead shaped head here to be scared of!!
Yup! His head was already removed and in the woods by the time the kids came and told us.
JM84
Yep. He and another buddy of mine found one in his backyard and, apparently never having heard the old rhyme that everyone knows, thought it was a milk snake.

They handled it for about five minutes before it tagged him on his hand. People say they can only get you on the webbing between your fingers because they're mouths are too small. Yeah, that ain't true either.

The ambulance got him to a hospital in Houston and they started calling around trying to find anyone who carried the antivenom. Eventually they contacted the Houston zoo, which did have some but by that time it was too late to administer it. They were also afraid of giving him too much pain medication, so my friend had to ride the pain train for about 12 hours while the docs monitored his symptoms.

In the end he came through it all in good shape. They determined that he was pretty lucky, in that the snake only injected a tiny amount of venom and didn't "walk" it's fangs up my friend's hand.

tl;dr I know a lot of stupid people. Don't mess with coral snakes.
jgh85Ag
AG
So he thought it was red on yellow is a friendly fellow, black on red, you'll be dead?
JM84
Knowing my friend, it was probably more like "Red and yell- squirrel!!"

Actually now that I think about it, I believe the other guy who was there (who grew up in east Texas and damned sure shoulda known better) told my friend that it wasn't a coral snake. Dumbassery begets dumbassery.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Quote:

They handled it for about five minutes before it tagged him on his hand.

So the moral of the story is, if you're going to play with a coral snake, keep it under 5 minutes
zooguy96
Moral of the story about ID-ing snakes -

Rattlesnakes - easy.
Coral snakes - easy.
Copperheads - pretty easy, only a couple of others look similar.
Moccasins - most difficult.

Anything else is harmless. Not really that difficult if you want to learn. I used to teach elementary students, and they learned very quickly.
Ag83
AG
zooguy96 said:

Moral of the story about ID-ing snakes -

Rattlesnakes - easy.
Coral snakes - easy.
Copperheads - pretty easy, only a couple of others look similar.
Moccasins - most difficult.

Anything else is harmless. Not really that difficult if you want to learn. I used to teach elementary students, and they learned very quickly.

Unless it's an escaped cobra in your Houston apartment building...but those should be an easy ID as well...
tx4guns
AG
Hognose.
BuddysBud
AG
IS THERE A MONGOOSE IN THE BUILDING?!
JM84
Exactly. There are three things you should always have on you when you go out looking for snakes: protective boots, tongs or hooks, and a damn good stopwatch.
ttha_aggie_09
JoeCephas1974
BCO07 said:

I grew up in Woodville and had two in my front yard several years apart. We had a shady front area with pine bark mulch that they seemed to like.
OnlyForNow
AG
Where's Ricky-Ticky-Tavi when you need him most?!
CowtownAg06
AG

I stopped by the zoo yesterday with the kids. These two are still in love.
Whens lunch
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

I stopped by the zoo yesterday with the kids. These two are still in love.
Uhh, threesome.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.