Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,430 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
EFE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rattle bug
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Great picture and great post.
Daddy-O5
AG
PalomaPachanga said:

Taken from a friend's Snapchat. Pretty confident it's just a harmless rat snake right???

Cottonmouth
Allen76
AG
BuddysBud
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

PalomaPachanga said:

Taken from a friend's Snapchat. Pretty confident it's just a harmless rat snake right???

Cottonmouth with a noisy tail

FIFY
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
https://www.facebook.com/BombSquadBattles/videos/1777573412542861/
12f Mane
Tursiops93
AG
Southern Crap Snake??? I heard they stink pretty bad!
AZAG08
AG
Buddy sent me this from South Carolina

https://m.imgur.com/cKfxYkD
ttha_aggie_09
AG

Pretty snake! I'm not going to ID but this should be easy.
Badace52
AG
Nice reddish coloration on that Eastern hognose..
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Way to spoil the fun... we know you know what it is.
AZAG08
AG
Tonight I picked our dog up from the in-laws house in Surfside
As I was leaving we were walking down the stairs to the truck- my dog, my FIL, my MIL's little rat dog, then me

As we are walking down both dogs and my FIL all get to the bottom of the stairs and my FIL is telling me about how his neighbor saw a juvenile rattle snake yesterday, and how he saw one earlier today

Then as I get to the bottom of the stairs (right where they had all just walked past) I said "just like this one?"

Scoopen Skwert
AG
I sympathetically pooped my pants for you.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yet it didn't rattle?

Hmmmm.... either the hog population has exploded in Surfside or rattlesnakes actually don't rattle all the time. Particularly when they think they're hidden.
SteveBott
AG
So rattlers don't rattle if rattling is a bad idea?

Ya don't say.
SteveBott
AG
Must be the hogs
ttha_aggie_09
AG
SteveBott said:

Must be the hogs

Occam's Razor ... hogs!
mazzag
AG
We've only seen one rattlesnake on our property. That was 9 years ago. My 5 yr old daughter told us she saw a snake, kinda like she saw a unicorn. But I asked if she remembered where...yes of course she did, it was when she tried to follow her brothers to the creek. So we hop in the gator, and she leads me where she saw it because she walked right past it. Under the shade, among rocks, with the boys walking around, they all pointed out the snake, coiled up asleep. I told them to walk quietly to the shop and get dad. I wasn't positive but the hair on my neck stood up and it was a rattlesnake that was sleeping thru all this. He was shot and skinned and pinned on a 6ft board for years.
We used to see coral snakes all the time. But haven't in years.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Where was this?
mazzag
AG
Off of 190 in central Texas. Supposedly there was a snake zoo up the road a couple of decades ago that closed and released... We do have a wild hog population that's getting braver every year for the last 6 years. I despise them and their destruction.
AZAG08
AG
I can confirm the snake did not rattle. I can only assume the 4lb toy snauzer was mistaken for a hog
DifferenceMaker Ag
AZAG08 said:

I can confirm the snake did not rattle. I can only assume the 4lb toy snauzer was mistaken for a hog
You may be onto something there. Especially if your schnauzer was carrying a rawhide bone, which could easily have been mistaken by the snake as a huge set of deadly tusks. I cannot imagine a more menacing image than that.

AZAG08
AG
DifferenceMaker Ag said:

AZAG08 said:

You may be onto something there. Especially if your schnauzer was carrying a rawhide bone, which could easily have been mistaken by the snake as a huge set of deadly tusks. I cannot imagine a more menacing image than that.

The tiny schnauzer belongs to my MIL, not me....just for the record
MPD280
A well-intentioned citizen brought this to our animal shelter-

https://i.imgur.com/B1SqiWt.jpg

Despite advice that I should blast the box and contents to hell, I chose to release him or her to live another day

https://i.imgur.com/slbd3VE.jpg

Finn Maccumhail
AG
MPD280 said:

Despite advice that I should blast the box and contents to hell, I chose to release him or her to live another day

So did this well-intentioned citizen have any clue that was a venomous snake or did they just think it was a snake that needed to be relocated and animal shelters did that sort of thing?
thirty-two
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

MPD280 said:

So did this well-intentioned citizen have any clue that was a venomous snake or did they just think it was a snake that needed to be relocated and animal shelters did that sort of thing?
It's just a rat snake.
MPD280
I had a long talk with my employee about how we would handle these things from now on. He felt like he was stuck once it was brought inside, so we did the best we could.
AZAG08
AG
Not sure why but "office supplies" is cracking me up
Allen76
AG
I finally got the opportunity to put an actual photo on this board. I had just set the little work-light down when I saw him guarding the barn door.

[url=https://imgur.com/7ybrshO][/url]

[url=https://imgur.com/Xn2yUqd][/url]

Too bad it isn't one of the more spectacular species...... Great Plains Rat Snake..... please correct me if I am wrong.
12f Mane
Legal Custodian
AG
BIL just posted this from his ranch up in SE Oklahoma. Was he right with his guess?

https://instagr.am/p/BZmSOylgC3Y
Log
AG
Yep.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yes
DDSO
AG
#Yes

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.