Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,469 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
oneeyedag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155066734129888&id=53153159887

Don't be scared.
ATX_AG_08
AG
Red racer - Marfa, TX

ellebee
That's a pretty one!
carpe vinum
AG
Great pic. That's one of the first snakes I ever watched as a kid. I thought it was cool the way they raise up to look around.
Brush Country
Makes for fun practice with a .22
carpe vinum
AG
Brush Country said:

Makes for fun practice with a .22
Sadly, I did mindless things in my youth too. Thankfully most of us get smarter as we age.
Brush Country
I've never shot a red racer. Did you see the winky face?
carpe vinum
AG
I did consider it a troll, but figured a backhanded response with a personal mea culpa was a decent response as I had been personally quoted.
My personal favorite "practice" has always been pigeons and grackels.
Not big on mindless killing, but those are a couple of my weak spots.
SteveBott
AG
I hearby pardon you from all past and future takings of pigeons and crackels
Brush Country
I wish you'd rid the world of grackles.
carpe vinum
AG
The trick to grackles is to shoot one so the others see it.
They travel in packs so they see one get blasted and take you off their route.
You only have to blast one every 3-4 years to keep the swarm away.
ATX_AG_08
AG
I ended up between the snake and his hole and he raced right through my legs. Even though I knew he wasnt venomous I still did a little river dancing.
mrsbeer05
AG
Rod Ryan show ( Houston) just said you can get a snake that is biting you to let go by pouring liquor down its throat. This was in response to a story about a women with a boa latched onto her nose. So what say y'all? BS?
SabineAg
AG
I think it'd probably let go in the amount of time it takes to go get the liquor and some how manage to get it in a snakes mouth that is currently latched on to you. Then again if you're doing something dumb enough to get bit, you probably have liquor in your hand already
Stive
AG
That was apparently in the article because the Ticket in Dallas read the same thing (although it just said alcohol, not liquor).

And the lady had time to run outside, the fire truck came, and the fireman cut off the snakes head, all while still attached....so it took a little while.
agent-maroon
AG
I've read that you can instantly & effectively stun a large fish by tossing a shot glass of liquor into it's open mouth. It hits the gills and instant ethanol stupor. Suggested method for taking a large fish into a small boat. Wouldn't work the same way with a snake but it might be effective.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GinaLinetti
AG
Can you ID a snake by the skin? Sloughed off skin. Not while on the snake
Badace52
AG
Sometimes... 12f mane could probably do it almost every time if he had the skin in person to count scales as long as it was fully intact.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
LisaMarie
AG
We use isopropyl alcohol. Some snakes are tenacious through and you just have to wait them out.
Badace52
AG
Run hot water on the snake and it will let go as well. They are very temperature sensitive.
12f Mane
AG
I've been but hundreds of times and have never had a snake latch on to where I need to pour something in it to get it off. Moot conversation unless you are being eaten.
Legal Custodian
AG
This snake was removed at the Cowboys training camp in Oxnard, CA.

Tursiops93
AG
King?
Badace52
AG
Yep California king
Brush Country
Apparently he is a Dak fan.
Tursiops93
AG
Slightly longer than a non-California king right???
Sailor
Hmm, I thought this was the California King Snake:

chickencoupe16
AG
?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

Found this guy in a rat trap at work today. Unfortunately, he was really hurt, so I had to put him out of his misery.

Edit: Help on the picture? Never posted one before. Why is it screwy?
LisaMarie
AG
12f Mane said:

I've been but hundreds of times and have never had a snake latch on to where I need to pour something in it to get it off. Moot conversation unless you are being eaten.

I've never had to use it, myself.
carpe vinum
AG
Serious Lee
LisaMarie said:

We use isopropyl alcohol. Some snakes are tenacious through and you just have to wait them out.
this is apparently effective for gators and turtles as well. theres an outdoor guy on youtube that let himself get bit by a snapping turtle and after the first 2 methods failed, he was able to get the snapper to immediately release with just a little bit of rubbing alcohol.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
HAppy to report the YB racer living around my house is doing well. No recent pics but did find a fresh shed this am.

Badace52
AG

Pulled these off the Rolling Plains Quail Research Ranch facebook page. Didn't know coachwhips would take down rattlers. Picture reportedly from Miles, TX
SabineAg
AG
That is bad ass!
carpe vinum
AG
It's surprising how many snakes eat other snakes, certainly that a bunch of nons regularly eat venomous ones.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.