Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,465 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
Log
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
txags92 said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Doubtful. Most companies have to outsource to environmental engineering firms if they are in an area with a protected/endangered species.

It can make a simple task very expensive due to habit restitution costs.
My wife is actually doing the environmental side of the assessment, the Eco folks were there earlier this week I believe, but their efforts were more focused on wetlands delineation I am sure part of their review will confirm what protected species are potentially in the area, but knowing for sure whether one is actually present onsite will help. I am sure she will share the turtle photo with her colleagues when she gets back. My guess based on looking at pictures is Eastern Box Turtle.
Definitely not a Box Turtle. I kept lots of them as a kid; western, ornate, and three-toed. I was leaning toward some sort of musk turtle, but the smooth, non-keeled top of the carapace is different from most of the ones I've encountered. Additionally, it has webbed feet =/= box turtle.
zooguy96
It's a hognose.
willis01
Bummer. I was so focused on identifying the speckled king snake, I jumped to conclusions on the victim.
oneeyedag
From a friend's FB. I don't know how to post the video, but this is the first Rat Snake I've heard make loud hissing noises.

$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Agree. That's not a copperhead.
tx4guns
AG
I think that's a Pine Snake. Anybody else have a guess?
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Yup. The pattern is right for a pine but the shape of the tip of the head is a dead giveaway.
oneeyedag
Interesting he's in Troy, didnt realize Central Texas had pine snakes. Thought primarily located deep east Texas and Louisiana.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Log said:

12f Mane said:

Gota De Limon said:

My google-fu leads me to believe it's a Southern Pacific Rattlesnake...Croatalus oreganus helleri

Correct
I think it is actually a Northern. Cool, CA is way outside the range of Southerns, plus the juvenile pattern matches the Northern better.

http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/c.o.oreganus.html

http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/c.o.helleri.html

Excellent catch. I believe you're right. I didn't read the range map close enough to see that only a certain color represented the species. You'd think they'd leave the other colors off....or maybe they expect people to actually READ. Lol.
Nice work, Log.
Post removed:
by user
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
From Facebook this morning near Conroe. Never seen this sort of color. Any guesses? Facebook comments were pretty hilarious. Guy that took the photo is an animal lover.

12f Mane
AG
oneeyedag said:

From a friend's FB. I don't know how to post the video, but this is the first Rat Snake I've heard make loud hissing noises.

This is a bullsnake. Pine snakes in east Texas are pretty much eradicated.
12f Mane
AG
willis01 said:

Our dog discovered this altercation in the backyard yesterday right next to the kids' swingset. We are in Brazos County, inside Bryan city limits.

[url=.html][/url]

From following this thread, I believe my new buddy is a speckled king snake. If I am mistaken, please provide the correct i.d.

[url=.html][/url]

He was struggling a bit, and upon further evaluation, he only had his mouth around the copperhead's top jaw (tough to see in this picture).

[url=.html][/url]

I did not have time to stick around and watch the show. I decided to give him an assist and make sure the copperhead did not make a miraculous escape. I estimate I was able to get about 3/4 of the copperhead with the shovel.

[url=.html][/url]
[url=.html][/url]

When I got home from work, about six hours later, the king snake was still at it.

[url=.html][/url]
[url=.html][/url]

Thanks to the posters on here that champion these non-venomous good guys. I am officially converted. This speckled king snake is welcome in our yard any day.

This is ****ing awesome. And that's a hognose.
12f Mane
AG
txags92 said:

Also, she found this turtle near one of the canals...any thoughts on an ID? Doesn't appear to be the typical red eared slider.

Looks like an eastern mud turtle to me, Kinosternon subrubrum
12f Mane
AG
blindey said:

From Facebook this morning near Conroe. Never seen this sort of color. Any guesses? Facebook comments were pretty hilarious. Guy that took the photo is an animal lover.

That's a good looking broadbanded water snake
12f Mane
AG
Log said:

12f Mane said:

Gota De Limon said:

My google-fu leads me to believe it's a Southern Pacific Rattlesnake...Croatalus oreganus helleri

Correct
I think it is actually a Northern. Cool, CA is way outside the range of Southerns, plus the juvenile pattern matches the Northern better.

http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/c.o.oreganus.html

http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/c.o.helleri.html
Good catch. I missed the location on it.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
12f is on a ROLL
12f Mane
AG
Slammed some coffee and got a lot of work done yesterday. TexAgging all day today son.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
12f Mane said:

oneeyedag said:

This is a bullsnake. Pine snakes in east Texas are pretty much eradicated.

Good call. If I had known that pic was from Central Texas I wouldn't have declared it a pine. But the pattern, shape of "nose", and hissing sound described screamed "Pine Snake" to me.
Chazz03
AG

Aggielandma12
AG
Rat snake?
Badace52
AG
Yes, rat snake. Im starting to think we should change this to the rat snake/hognose thread.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieAuditor
AG
We had a quite a few CMs on the last few pages.
oneeyedag
Thanks!
Throwout
AG
BCO07 said:

At some point we need to talk about how fake this pic is. Now I know that a python can certainly take down a leopard, but this pic is poorly photoshopped.
agent-maroon
AG
The other one with the rock python eating the lion seems legit though
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
sellthefarm
AG

Rat snake? Its about 5.5 feet long. First snake I've seen in my yard since moving in 4 years ago.
Badace52
AG
That is a Texas Rat Snake having a really bad day.
Kool
AG
My buddy, also an Ag, came across this little scene this afternoon while hiking around his crib in Utah. I am kind of surprised he got the photo, because he really isn't a snake kind of guy. He didn't stick around to see if the two played nicely or not.
P.S. You can see his wife's footprints. She stepped between the two, didn't see them, then freaked out when he pointed them out to her.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
sellthefarm said:

Rat snake? Its about 5.5 feet long. First snake I've seen in my yard since moving in 4 years ago.

Why'd you kill it?
sellthefarm
AG
Our cat was stalking it and it kinda got pissed when I went to check it out. And it is freeking huge. I'm not one to kill snakes indescriminetly but when one as long as me is in my yard that's a good enough reason for me.
Also we have a crawl space that it has proabably been getting in (I found a shed down there a couple years ago) so I didn't really want it getting in our house.

Isn't almost 6 feet pretty big for a Texas rat snake? Wikipedia says 4 to 5.
Badace52
AG
Kool said:

My buddy, also an Ag, came across this little scene this afternoon while hiking around his crib in Utah. I am kind of surprised he got the photo, because he really isn't a snake kind of guy. He didn't stick around to see if the two played nicely or not.

Very cool. The lizard is a desert iguana which is cool in it's own right, but that might be a midget faded rattlesnake as well. Paging 12f mane...
(Sorry messed up the quote function posting from phone)

P.S. You can see his wife's footprints. She stepped between the two, didn't see them, then freaked out when he pointed them out to her.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
I think you're right about the midget faced rattlesnake.

I was having trouble figuring out what it was (not overly familiar with all of the rattlers outside of TX) and that species bears the most resemblance. No idea if that's right but it sure does look like it.

Also, interesting note about this snake is he has hemo and neuron toxic venom (like only a few other rattlesnake species)... very dangerous.
Kool
AG
My amigo thinks it's a Great Basin rattler. He is not a herper, and his wife is DEFINITELY not. Neighbors said they hadn't seen one in 12 years. I guess just a bit of Mother's Day good luck.
magnumtmp
AG
So, what's the lizard? He's awesome!

Ah, desert iguana, missed it the first time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.