Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,455 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
Stive
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Question about the large constrictors eating large prey:

When a python eats an impala or leopard, is it more vulnerable for a period of time due to the extra weight/large lump in its gut? And if so, how long?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
On something that large, it will likely not eat again for a few months, if not longer. Anytime a snake has a meal that's a substantial portion of their body weight, they are at risk. Partially because they can't really move when their body weight just doubled (more/less) and partially because of the extra time needed in warm areas to help digest the meal.

Growing up as a kid, it was very common to catch a broad banded water snake or diamondback water snake with a fat belly and as soon as you picked him up he would begin to regurgitate the frog/fish that he just ate. It was actually pretty cool.

I'm no expert on the bigger guys but imagine they can do the same if threatened.
BroncStomper06
AG
On our road in Grimes County. Thoughts on this one?

$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
BroncStomper06 said:

On our road in Grimes County. Thoughts on this one?

Cottonmouth.
BroncStomper06
AG
That was my guess. We've had several Copperheads, but this is the first CM I've seen.
jbanda
AG
Can't see the side markings on the head, but that fat to skinny tail is a dead give away.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Definitely a a cottonmouth
RandAlThor
AG

Wife sent me this picture of a snake they found at work(North Austin Area) and I was hoping that you could help me ID it. I was thinking Garter but I just recently found this thread and I am not very good at this game yet.

Thank you in advance!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Juvenile Texas Rat Snake
RandAlThor
AG
Thank you.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
BCO07 said:

Can't help but be reminded of this clip:

I realize it is completely inappropriate on this thread, btw.
aggieAT07
AG

On the Mason Creek Running Path in Katy. New to this game as well, so I'm not to sure here...
Log
AG
Cottonmouth.
agingcowboy
AG
Everything I know about snakes I learned on Texags: black stripe behind the eye = cottonmouth = water moccasin.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JM84
Cottonmouth with some really nice patterning.
aggieAT07
AG
I was afraid of that but didn't realize it till later on. Blah.
Throwout
AG
Here's a baby rattlesnake killed in my sister's driveway in Cool, California. Tube of chapstick in the photo for reference on the size. Any ideas what type of rattlesnake? It sure has some great colors.
Log
AG
Looks kind of like a Red Diamond Rattlesnake, but I think that is too far north of their range.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
My google-fu leads me to believe it's a Southern Pacific Rattlesnake...Croatalus oreganus helleri
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I grew up in that bayou, before it had a path. Surprisingly, there aren't a lot of water moccasins but a ton of water snakes.

That's definitely a water moccasin though.
12f Mane
AG
Gota De Limon said:

My google-fu leads me to believe it's a Southern Pacific Rattlesnake...Croatalus oreganus helleri

Correct
Serious Lee
bodaciousbood14 said:

Not to be distasteful, but, Indonesians aren't exactly known for their size. If it was a smaller than average man and a larger than average python, I don't see why it'd be a problem. I'm not an expert though
average asian man is smaller than average american, thats a fact which is why i wasnt all that surprised to see the story. getting off topic here, but the Kali River Attacks were the first thing that came to my mind.
spadilly
S
Not that impressive, but the we found a dead Texas brown in our backyard tonight. (Houston)

I dug up most everything in several flowerbeds this week and didn't see anything remotely exciting, then we came across this picking up some of the kid's toys in the backyard.

txags92
AG
My wife was doing an assessment at a site near Donaldsonville, La and was disappointed to find this guy. It appears that it was either hit by a mower clearing the road area or run over by a vehicle in the last day or so. Am I correct in guessing Buttermilk Racer?

Also, she found this turtle near one of the canals...any thoughts on an ID? Doesn't appear to be the typical red eared slider.

$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
I'm gonna say speckled king on the snake. On the turtle, I have no idea.
txags92
AG
Gota De Limon said:

I'm gonna say speckled king on the snake. On the turtle, I have no idea.
I was thinking Speckled King until I looked at the underside. I don't remember any of the ones I have handled having the variegated underside like that. But now that I have looked more online, I could go either way.

Edit: And after looking more, I agree is probably a Speckled King.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I am going to agree but will defer to 12fmane.

Racers, I believe, usually have a yellow or solid color belly. This guy doesn't and fits the looks of a king more than a racer.

Be careful with the turtle/tortoise... a couple of them in La are protected and can seriously impact any excavation or construction in an area if that's one of those species. It looks like a box turtle of sorts to me but I am not a turtle guy.
txags92
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Be careful with the turtle/tortoise... a couple of them in La are protected and can seriously impact any excavation or construction in an area if that's one of those species. It looks like a box turtle of sorts to me but I am not a turtle guy.
That is part of why I was looking for an ID. Her company is doing a property assessment for a potential real estate transaction and I know most of the box turtles are protected in one form or another.
rather be fishing
AG
txags92 said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

That is part of why I was looking for an ID. Her company is doing a property assessment for a potential real estate transaction and I know most of the box turtles are protected in one form or another.
Do they not have an ecologist on staff?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Doubtful. Most companies have to outsource to environmental engineering firms if they are in an area with a protected/endangered species.

It can make a simple task very expensive due to habit restitution costs.
rather be fishing
AG
A company doing environmental should have someone on staff with enough experience to ID the big risk animals.
willis01
Our dog discovered this altercation in the backyard yesterday right next to the kids' swingset. We are in Brazos County, inside Bryan city limits.

[url=.html][/url]

From following this thread, I believe my new buddy is a speckled king snake. If I am mistaken, please provide the correct i.d.

[url=.html][/url]

He was struggling a bit, and upon further evaluation, he only had his mouth around the copperhead's top jaw (tough to see in this picture).

[url=.html][/url]

I did not have time to stick around and watch the show. I decided to give him an assist and make sure the copperhead did not make a miraculous escape. I estimate I was able to get about 3/4 of the copperhead with the shovel.

[url=.html][/url]
[url=.html][/url]

When I got home from work, about six hours later, the king snake was still at it.

[url=.html][/url]
[url=.html][/url]

Thanks to the posters on here that champion these non-venomous good guys. I am officially converted. This speckled king snake is welcome in our yard any day.
Log
AG
12f Mane said:

Gota De Limon said:

Correct
I think it is actually a Northern. Cool, CA is way outside the range of Southerns, plus the juvenile pattern matches the Northern better.

http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/c.o.oreganus.html

http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/c.o.helleri.html
txags92
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Doubtful. Most companies have to outsource to environmental engineering firms if they are in an area with a protected/endangered species.

It can make a simple task very expensive due to habit restitution costs.
My wife is actually doing the environmental side of the assessment, the Eco folks were there earlier this week I believe, but their efforts were more focused on wetlands delineation I am sure part of their review will confirm what protected species are potentially in the area, but knowing for sure whether one is actually present onsite will help. I am sure she will share the turtle photo with her colleagues when she gets back. My guess based on looking at pictures is Eastern Box Turtle.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Right about the king snake but I am not so sure about the copperhead. Looks like a hognose.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.