Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,523 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
dave99ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Proper TA handle for that post.
OnlyForNow
AG
Is there a video of this?
Whens lunch
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Is there a video of this?
Was being sarcastic, but maybe there is....
OnlyForNow
AG
I don't think the snake is in two pieces, I think that's a log or something that has holes in it.

Maybe I'm not seeing it right, it also looks like it has a crappy instrgam filter on it.
Ol Jock 99
AG
abdm01
AG
https://i.imgur.com/zSokPBE.jpg

New to liking snakes, saw this in the yard yesterday. Western Ribbon? Safe to handle?
SteveBott
AG
Very safe.
ursusguy
AG
Gambusia work pretty well.
DeBoss
AG
That's the biggest damn rattlesnake I've seen and now has re-affirmed my deep rooted fear of snakes. I have been working through this thread to make me more comfortable and now I see a rattlesnake that looks like a freaking anaconda. Nope nope nope.
Daddy-O5
AG
P.U.T.U
AG
My toddler likes digging up rocks and throwing them in the stream by a golf course. Found where a 3-4 foot diamondback water snake lives, wife has a phobia of snakes but he wanted to go touch it (I am not going to teach him how to on a wild snake). Next time she is not there I will see if I can get a good picture of him.
BCO07
AG
I was sure that if I ever saw one I'd be calm, cool, and collected. I was wrong
VaultingChemist
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Well tarantulas are the biggest spiders we have in the states and they are pretty cool. So this guy is probably some wussy ground spider.
I have always been fascinated by tarantulas though not enough to keep one for a pet. As a kid, I assumed that because they were slow-moving that it was safe to use my shoe to gently poke it. I was wrong.

The SOB jumped on my leg (luckily I was wearing jeans) almost to my knee. Needless to say but I went into a whirling dervish mode until it fell off my leg. I never poked another one again.
OnlyForNow
AG
Ya and they aren't all that slow.
Bitter Old Man
AG

Can anyone tell? Its in the hill country, in my neighbors yard. Wife sent me the picture....
Brush Country
**** tarantulas.

I lived in Oak Hill in SW Austin for a couple years, in a duplex. One time I come home from class at night and one of them sum beeches is on my door mat. Nope. Nope. Nope. Went thru the gate and in the side door.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Meant to tag you in my pic above...
JM84
Rat snake of some sort
Tursiops93
AG
I'm thinking Blotched Water Snake, but I always end up being wrong! LOL
Badace52
AG
Definitely texas rat snake.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
txags92
AG
Had a little fun today out at former Reese AFB in Lubbock. Went to lunch and left some of our tools on the ground next to one of our trucks. Came back and picked up two other boxes to put in the truck. When one of the guys reached for the next box he saw this guy sitting there right next to where he had just picked up the other box. The boxes in the pictures are around 32" long for scale. Never saw the snake stretched out, but would guess maybe 4-5 feet long. Apprears to be Prairie Rattler to me.

spadilly
AggieAuditor
AG
Rat snake
txags92
AG
AggieAuditor said:

Rat snake

He had the loudest most pissed off rattle i have ever heard from a rat snake...
jbanda
AG
It's camo is damn near perfect.
OnlyForNow
AG
Amazing how that is wihout any green in it huh?
txags92
AG
Btw, didnt mention it but he was left alive. Went to find a longer pole to encourage him to relocate. When we returned, he was gone.
12f Mane
AG
Badace52 said:

Definitely texas rat snake.
agingcowboy
AG
txags92 said:

Btw, didnt mention it but he was left alive. Went to find a longer pole to encourage him to relocate. When we returned, he was gone.
Did you check inside those tool boxes? Just saying...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggiePetro07
AG
jbanda said:

It's camo is damn near perfect.

It really is.

The weirdest thing to me is how damn well a copperhead on a green blanket of St. Augustine can not look like a snake. Breaking up the outline makes even the most obvious snakes hard to see sometimes.
txags92
AG
Yes...with extreme caution. The whole site is basically a giant prairie dog town, so I suspect he went down a nearby burrow once we left him alone.
ursusguy
AG
Helped with an owl project out at Pantex, after about 2 days the prairie rattlers were pretty ho hum. Found them about as often as I found the down at Sinton.
agent-maroon
AG
Great pics!

Lived in what was then the outskirts of Lubbock until age 12 and never saw a rattler. Caught and released literally hundreds of hognose snakes and horny toads, scared up jackrabbits for fun, "hunted" grasshoppers for thousands of hours hours with our BB gun arsenal, captured black widow spiders & preserved them in rubbing alcohol to show our friends, etc. But not one rattlesnake did I or my younger brother ever find.

Moved from Lubbock to the western edge of Amarillo with large prairie fields all around. Spent less time playing in the fields because we were getting older, but it was the same story. Even worked at Pantex for a bit. No rattlers.
Oruc Reis
AG
welp, almost got tagged by a copperhead last night. You can vaguely make out my footprint about 2" in front of it. This was in Moss Park, middle of Dallas

ursusguy
AG
He wanted to be petted.

He figured that poison ivy would hide him.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.