Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,450 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Oversized earth worms...
VaultingChemist
AG
Found this one sunning himself:

We don't see many snakes in North Texas in December
12f Mane
Fairview
AG
Badace52
AG
Probably escaped pet that froze to death with the cold weather. Also that doesn't look like a meal. It looks like the snake's stomach is bloated from bacterial decay.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Badace52 said:

Probably escaped pet that froze to death with the cold weather. Also that doesn't look like a meal. It looks like the snake's stomach is bloated from bacterial decay.

This... unless it ate another escaped Burmese Python, that was close to the same size as this snake.
Serious Lee
since this thread is slow this time of year, heres a story from florida:http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/12/07/record-breaking-17-foot-python-captured-by-florida-snake-hunters/

is a 17 ft python large enough to constrict a 175lb man, has that ever happened in the wild?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
To constrict, yes. To eat, no.

A couple of guys on here with more experience may be able to go into more depth but people have been constructed by smaller snakes than that.

Look up African Rock Python... can eat a lechwe (antelope).

Any snake that gets to 17ft or bigger is not one I would want to be around. Especially if it hasn't eaten in a few months...
ellebee
I have a feeling it would take a snake much smaller than 17 feet to restrict a full grown male if you're not paying attention. They're pretty strong. I had a snake that was about 5-6 feet and had a tendency to try to choke me out. If he started restricting I made sure to put my arms in the way so he couldn't wrap around my neck bc I probably wouldn't have been able to take him off once once he got around there. Im also much smaller and not nearly as strong as a full grown man though.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
My ball pythons were extremely strong at 4ft. The red tails I have handled in the 8-10ft range are strong as hell. It's not really a question of "can they" but moreso of "how likely is it".

At 17ft, that likelihood is a lot higher but still relatively low if you're just walking along a trail. You'd likely have to crawl in for a snuggle to become a targeted food source.
ellebee
Oh that's true. Mine would do it when I put him over my shoulders. It's not like I was walking by and he'd go in for the kill.
SteveBott
AG
Saw an internet pic by email about ten years ago. It was a snake as big as that 17 footer. The first pic was just the snake but the second pic they had gutted it and he had an adult man in his stomach.

It was from South America and the dead man was at best 5'5" and 150 or so. Back then they did not have the photoshop skills they have today and it looked pretty damn real. I've seen a real video of a snake in Africa eating a full grown antelope so it was possible
Badace52
AG
Only one confirmed death that I know of where a man was killed and eaten by a snake, but it was a reticulated python in Indonesia and I believe it was 23 ft long. It happened very recently.

Snakes have trouble getting over human shoulders from the top and our limbs don't lie down well from the bottom. Basically we are hard for snakes to eat. The generally accepted size of a snake capable of swallowing an average sized adult human is around 20 ft. Obviously the size of the human is a big factor here.

Snakes are capable of suffocating humans by constriction at much smaller sizes.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ellebee
Once you get a snake over your shoulders, how small do you think?
marble rye
AG
This wee baby was in my office this am.

Badace52
AG
Nice... pretty late in the year to find any snake.
marble rye
AG
I put him outside in a planter. Now wondering if he has siblings in the house. The dogs were just like WTF is this?
Spotted Ag
AG
Here's a different one folks! Back story...friends, with small kids, (from the U.S.) live in India and killed this, with a brick, in their yard. Nope, nope, nope

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Indian hognose?
ellebee
Spotted Ag said:

Here's a different one folks! Back story...friends, with small kids, (from the U.S.) live in India and killed this, with a brick, in their yard. Nope, nope, nope

Ummm... I'm thinking I would not get close enough to kill it with a brick.
Spotted Ag
AG
That's exactly what I told my wife.

Although, not very many people from the US can say they killed a dang cobra!
ellebee
That's a BMF
Badace52
AG
That's not a baby rough earth snake so it probably won't have any siblings anywhere near your house. HTH.
King
AG
Big rattler and his small companion

Not sure what this one is

And finally got quite a surprise when i opened my gas grill
ellebee
Badace52 said:

That's not a baby rough earth snake so it probably won't have any siblings anywhere near your house. HTH.

What is it?
jgh85Ag
AG
I think he is saying it is a full grown rough earth snake.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
ellebee
jgh85Ag said:

Oh. Duh. I blame lack of sleep.
jpd301
AG
King said:

And finally got quite a surprise when i opened my gas grill
Great, now I will never be able to just walk out and open my grill again without worrying about a snake.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
So you shot the Rattlesnake and picked up the snake you weren't sure what it was?

Either you correctly followed the flowchart of "is it venomous in Texas?" (Headshape, presence of rattles, red touch yellow, etc.) or you're one lucky SOB.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Turn it on first
Mathguy64
AG
Of course the snake is in your grill. It looks so clean, like its never used. Its a perfectly safe place.
agcrock2005
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Turn it on first
I will be doing this from now on!
12f Mane
AG
I'd imagine that means you have rats in your grill. Better check for turds at the bottom.
12f Mane
AG
King said:

This is a terrible shirt

This is a coachwhip

This is a southwestern ratsnake
marble rye
AG
ellebee said:

jgh85Ag said:

Oh. Duh. I blame lack of sleep.

Full grown??? He was TINY! Head smaller than a pencil eraser.

He didn't do much. Just turned into a pretzel/ writhing knot if approched

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.