Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,539 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
ellebee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CherryLodes said:

EagleFordEarl said:

Schools are giant rat magnets, back when I taught it was nothing to see one trucking down a hall way after hours. And this was in a newer campus. The older campuses were way worse.

I swear to god if I find a snake in my classroom I'm going back to sales.

I thought you were better than this...
ellebee
I can't remember if I already said this, but I worked at a preschool a lifetime ago. There were several times when they called me to come get scorpions, spiders, etc out of the classrooms. One time there was a garter snake in the hall. It was the most aggressive little punk and struck at my legs and feet several times. Got his fangs caught up in my shoelaces. We finally got it relocated to a field.
magnumtmp
AG
CherryLodes said:

EagleFordEarl said:

Schools are giant rat magnets, back when I taught it was nothing to see one trucking down a hall way after hours. And this was in a newer campus. The older campuses were way worse.

I swear to god if I find a snake in my classroom I'm going back to sales.

Sales offices are full of rats also, they just don't attract snakes.
mrsbeer05
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

I would have given anything for a resident snake when I was in the classroom. Beats mice poop on my desk every morning. Yuck!
GinaLinetti
AG
You would be wrong.
hillcoag16
AG

Does anyone know what kind of frog this is? My mom took a package out of the mailbox this evening and this guy was clinging to it. My folks place is in the country outside of Hillsboro, TX. He doesn't look like any frog I've ever seen in Texas. Sorry to get off topic, but I figured someone on here could answer my question.
jgh85Ag
AG
Not sure, but I can tell it is a boy, because it is definitely a mail toad.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
EFE
AG
Looks like a green tree frog
Badace52
AG
That is definitely a native texas frog.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
WE ha a couple of those tree frogs that live in our backyard. We are in Waco.
Sean98
AG
I didn't go to that school, but I've been in it a time or two.

Edit: (Oh wait, elementary... Maybe not)
zooguy96
Yep, green tree frog, hyla cinerea.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Tursiops93
AG
ellebee said:

Tursiops93 said:

ellebee said:

Is this snake poop? It's about 2 1/2 inches long. The white looks like urate to me.

Taste it! If it tastes like chicken it's probably snake!

Tasted like pork. What does that mean?
Hognose??
ellebee
Tursiops93 said:

ellebee said:

Tursiops93 said:

ellebee said:

Is this snake poop? It's about 2 1/2 inches long. The white looks like urate to me.

Taste it! If it tastes like chicken it's probably snake!

Tasted like pork. What does that mean?
Hognose??

ellebee
I FOUND SNAKES!

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Arboreal Neon Cobras
tx4guns
AG
Saw this on Facebook. I know the answer, but I won't spoil it.

Finn Maccumhail
AG
Wild-ass guess: broad-banded water snake
Badace52
AG
location? Looks like a cat eyed snake.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
AG
More specifically, northern cat eyed snake Leptodeira septentrionalis
12f Mane
1990AG
AG
I don't know what it is....I know it's angry looking and the OB has taught me that Angry looking snakes are angry....

Saddened to say....I would likely kill that one....

right or wrong 12f?
Badace52
AG
Wrong. They are rear-fanged and slightly venomous, but not deadly. If I remember correctly they have a mild neurotoxin that paralyzes forgs/toads/lizards, but has minimal paraesthetic effect on humans.
12f Mane
AG
Badace52 said:

More specifically, northern cat eyed snake Leptodeira septentrionalis
This is correct. Limited range in Texas and not commonly seen.

I got bit by one in Costa Rica and it got a little swollen/red with some tingle (TWSS) but wasn't a big deal.
MouthBQ98
AG
Captured another 24" copperhead last night. Not one strike. He just wanted to be on his way.
agcrock2005
AG
OK, I know a couple days ago I posted about not killing snakes because I'm not an uneducated idiot anymore, but that thing is scary looking and I would probably kill that thing immediately upon seeing it. No ID necessary...dead creepy ass snake!
12f Mane
AG
agcrock2005 said:

OK, I know a couple days ago I posted about not killing snakes because I'm not an uneducated idiot anymore, but that thing is scary looking and I would probably kill that thing immediately upon seeing it. No ID necessary...dead creepy ass snake!

They are protected in the state of Texas... not that chicken **** TPWD would prosecute any herp related violation anyway.
Badace52
AG
I think the snake looks "creepy" due to the vertical pupils (cat eyes) that give it its name. It's actually a boldly patterned and attractive snake which is harmless to humans and very rare to see in Texas. If that pic was taken in Texas this is an awesome find and up there with the coolest posts on this thread so far.
agcrock2005
AG
I was kidding, but that snake in the picture is creepy as hell. I googled it and the others aren't near as crazy looking as that one. That would definitely scare the crap out of me if I stumbled upon it!
1990AG
AG
100%
12f Mane
AG
From what I've seen it was found around Kingsville.
Badace52
AG
Isn't that pretty far north for that species??
12f Mane
AG
They have not been found north of kingsville, so yes.
jgh85Ag
AG
Wonder how he got past Sarita?
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
Brush Country
Refrigerated van truck with 27 others just like him also packed in.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.