Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,451 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Great... I can already hear it now:

"Did you hear about water snakes?"
"No..."
"They stopped swimming because all the bass are eating them"
Icecream_Ag
S
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Great... I can already hear it now:

"Did you hear about rattlesnakes?"
"No..."
"They stopped rattling because all the bass are eating them"
FIFY
Aggielandma12
AG
you kept a large mouth
cledus6150
AG
Negative that was my brother, however we have so many that it's a good thing he is taking a few. The bass are making it difficult to catch the crappie, you gotta waid through them to get to the crappie.
4stringAg
AG
Moccasin colored plastic worms are my go to bait on some of the local lakes in this area. When all else fails I can usually get a hook up on those.
jpb1999
AG

Not sure what this is... help appreciated. Located in Bell county. Was spraying poison ivy on a new lot and saw this a few away...

On mobile so not sure if the pic worked...
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
jpb1999 said:

Not sure what this is... help appreciated. Located in Bell county. Was spraying poison ivy on a new lot and saw this a few away...

On mobile so not sure if the pic worked...

Pretty sure that's a coachwhip. Sure is pretty.
Also, there is ZERO poison ivy in that pic.

Edit: Oh, here's your pic
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Coachwhip
jpb1999
AG
Gota De Limon said:

Pretty sure that's a coachwhip. Sure is pretty.
Also, there is ZERO poison ivy in that pic.

Edit: Oh, here's your pic

Cool, thanks for info. I don't think I have ever seen one of those in person before.

Oh and thanks for the compliment on my spraying abilities!
AggieEE2002
AG
This guy was right off the porch last night. Dog and little kids around so he had to go. About 24".

ID: Copperhead
Status: Headshot with pellet gun, then divided in two with hoe.

AggieAuditor
AG
Should probably light him on fire to make sure he's really dead.
AggieEE2002
AG
dave99ag
AG
Wife just took our 10+ yr old beagle to A&M vet hospital this evening. They're certain a snake bite. My guess is a copperhead even though I haven't seen any in the backyard yet. Dog was probably not paying any attention sniffing around on the ground. Never heard a yelp either. He was chilling out on the couch until we noticed his swollen nose. He's staying overnight so they can watch after him.
JM84
Found this picture while I was cleaning out my phone's photo log. This one was just hanging out in my driveway one eveninv last spring. I didn't put a tape to it but it was easily five (maybe six) feet long. Docile as could be.

Edit: neglected to mention this was off of Rock Prairie on the east side of 6 in College Station

carpe vinum
AG
It was in a food coma.
Bassmaster
AG
This was on our neighborhood Facebook page. A few days ago, the lady that took this pic posted a comment about how the drainage fitch beside her property was a mosquito breeding ground. One guy said she should just throw some fish in there to help control the mosquitos (wouldn't have been my first choice, but that's beside the point). She posted this pic a few days later and asked if anyone else had any bright ideas. The current leader in the clubhouse is "get a Mongoose."

12f Mane
AG
That's an old photo that gets circulated a lot. Not hers.
Bassmaster
AG
Dang, she's trolling the hell out of everybody. I thought the pic quality was a little too good to be true.
EFE
AG
You need to reveal Lady Barnes and post results here
AggieStout
AG
Saw this story on the Austin news website. Did not say if the cat lived or not. Laguna Vista, Texas it says.

http://kxan.com/2017/04/24/texas-cat-faces-off-with-rattlesnake-in-viral-photo/

12f Mane
AG
I have a set of tongs like that and the end is probably 6" long. I'd put that snake at 60". Certainly a big snake.

Hopefully that cat got what it deserves.
Bassmaster
AG
Somebody already did. She played it off pretty well.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Hard to see the head but this was on FB- juvenile water moccasin, right?

White Liberals=The Worst

Ummm...WTH kind of spider is that up in the top right portion of the photo???? That is by far the scariest thing on this thread and it's not even close.

Sorry, I haven't read the entire thread so maybe it was covered, but havent seen it mentioned yet.
tx4guns
AG
Yes. The head is a dead giveaway.
BCO07
AG

First time to see one in the wild and I saw 2 in a quarter mile of trail. Almost stepped on this one. Trying not to exaggerate it was 5ish feet long.
Ol Jock 99
AG
This is an old picture. Probably 2013 or 2014. Caught him in our old garage in Garland (near a pond and creek). There was much debate about whether is was a moccasin or just an ill tempered watersnake. What say you guys?

Spoiler: non-poisonous narrowly won and I let 'em go.
White Liberals=The Worst
ttha_aggie_09 said:

jbanda said:

Was there some talk a while back of there being a OB snake thread get together to go find snakes in the Houston area, guided by one of the experts on here? Seems like a really cool idea.

Still would like to do this. I proposed George Bush Park (Barker Reservoir)
We used to catch them like crazy behind Add*cks Dam growing up in Spring Branch.
BCO07
AG
I can see vertical stripes on the bottom jaw on the second picture. Water snake. Ass holes, but not venomous
12f Mane
AG
BCO07 said:

I can see vertical stripes on the bottom jaw on the second picture. Water snake. Ass holes, but not venomous
magnumtmp
AG
Wycliffe_03 said:

Ummm...WTH kind of spider is that up in the top right portion of the photo???? That is by far the scariest thing on this thread and it's not even close.

Sorry, I haven't read the entire thread so maybe it was covered, but havent seen it mentioned yet.

Eff me, now I'll be checking under my bed and covers every night for that MEffin spider. Hit that MEffer with a boat paddle, napalm, MOAB, something; holy crap! I'm not scared of snakes at all, but I'd tear a hole through concrete to avoid that *******.
OnlyForNow
AG
I don't understand the spider thing?

just because it is tan? or what?
magnumtmp
AG
OnlyForNow said:

I don't understand the spider thing?

just because it is tan? or what?

Maybe it's perspective, but it looks big. I just get the heebe jeebes with spiders.
OnlyForNow
AG
Well tarantulas are the biggest spiders we have in the states and they are pretty cool. So this guy is probably some wussy ground spider.
Whens lunch
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Well tarantulas are the biggest spiders we have in the states and they are pretty cool. So this guy is probably some wussy ground spider.
Well it may be just lame ground spider, but it just bit that snake in two.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.