Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,543 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
Legal Custodian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can you explain to me what makes it a young wm?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Can you explain to me what makes it a young wm?

The pattern and coloration. They sometimes look very similar to a copperhead but with a yellow tipped tail
Badace52
AG
Young copperheads have the yellow tipped tail too, but yes it is the pattern with both stripes and a few dots.

Juvenile Copperhead:

Juvenile Cottonmouth:
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Didn't know that. I have never encountered a juvenile copperhead.
Complaint Investigator
AG
Someone posted on Instagram. I figured I'd come here. Central Texas. People have said everything from king to coral snake without the red.

https://instagr.am/p/BaOt7uIgPBv
ellebee
My first thought was king snake of some kind

I take that back. I missed the central Texas part. Some kind of coral morph (if that's even possible)?

Edit 2: or milk snake? Can't remember if those are in texas though
Stive
AG
My wife glanced over my shoulder as I was looking at this thread and promptly told me confidently:

That's a bumble bee snake!!!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
We have already had one black coral snake on this thread. This should make two if I am remembering correctly.
Badace52
AG
Every melanistic coral pic I've seen the snake has a yellow band on its head. I don't know what that snake is. It doesn't look like any snake I know of native to Central Texas. Paging 12fmane...

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
12f Mane
AG
Lol, that is a rubber snake
ttha_aggie_09
AG
12f Mane said:

Yeah, but what species rubber snake
Badace52
AG
Ha! It absolutely is... Good eye.
ellebee
Complaint Investigator
AG
Dude swears it wasn't a rubber snake. That's what I said it was. Read the comment section. Said he still hasn't figured it out. I figured TexAgs would back me up.
12f Mane
AG
ellebee said:

12f Mane
AG
Complaint Investigator said:

Dude swears it wasn't a rubber snake. That's what I said it was. Read the comment section. Said he still hasn't figured it out. I figured TexAgs would back me up.
It has immaculate banding
ursusguy
BuddysBud
AG
12f Mane said:

Does that mean that this one is probably poisonous?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
BuddysBud said:

12f Mane said:

Does that mean that this one is probably poisonous?
probably a first for this thread.
Bassmaster
AG
I didn't get any pics, but I had a cool experience Saturday. I opened my front door and there was a ribbon snake on my doorstep that looked like it had just swallowed a golf ball. I called my boys (3 and 6 years old) to come look and they were pumped. They wanted to know if he "was the good kind" that we could pick up. So I went to catch the snake and once he saw what was happening, he started the process of regurgitating the "golf ball." After a few seconds we see a couple of legs coming out of the snake's mouth. As my boys began cheering like it was the last defensive stand of the Florida game Saturday night, out came a toad that was still alive. I grabbed the snake and the toad sat there for a second stunned, and then began to hop off. I doubt that toad has ever had a cheering section like that. We examined the snake for a few minutes and then safely relocated him to the woods across the street. My boys were amazed!
ellebee
It's like it never happened without pics...

J/k. That's awesome.
The Fife
The local news ran a story this evening on copperheads - I guess people have been calling in a lot of them since they're starting to look for hiding places. Did they show a copperhead? Of course not, they showed one of these instead. There were still pictures and clips of one in motion - it wasn't a simple one off accident.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Is your local news in Africa?
TheClaw07
AG
Beautiful snake! What in the heck is it?
Badace52
AG
Gaboon viper... longest fangs of any snake. Lives in west Africa.
The Fife
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Is your local news in Africa?
Charleston, SC so... close? About a thousand miles closer than TX anyway. They may have had the gaboon viper pictures from a couple of years ago when a shed skin from one of those was found (snake was never found BTW).

But still, it's a story on copperheads and they can't even use pictures of the right kind of snake?!
ellebee
I found my rough earth snake I rescued Friday dead on my porch yesterday. No visible injuries. Just dead. Maybe he got fried in the sun.
chiken
AG
ellebee said:

I found my rough earth snake I rescued Friday dead on my porch yesterday. No visible injuries. Just dead. Maybe he got fried in the sun.
how can you be sure it was the same one? Did you put a faux Mohawk on it to identify it from others? Maybe it was just it's time to give up the ghost. Fear not, there's 80 million more in your backyard you can't see.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Couldn't deal with the sudden fame after you posted the pictures on the internet.

Oh it's a cautionary tale truly of the excesses that come from being thrust into the fast paced world of online fame.
ellebee
bh93 said:

Couldn't deal with the sudden fame after you posted the pictures on the internet.

Oh it's a cautionary tale truly of the excesses that come from being thrust into the fast paced world of online fame.

Must've had an audition with Weinstein.
Badace52
AG
Nice... very current humor.
ellebee
Badace52 said:

Nice... very current humor.

Did you notice I said "rough earth" and not "grass snake" like I've called them all my life? I knew you would be proud. Now I'll take this opportunity to condescendingly correct everyone that calls them grass snakes.
SteveBott
AG
Elle old habits die hard and I'm afraid you will always correct me. Caught many of those as a kid
ellebee
SteveBott said:

Elle old habits die hard and I'm afraid you will always correct me. Caught many of those as a kid

I will only correct you if I remember they're not called grass snakes.
Ryan C. Whittenberg
AG

Caught this guy at my parents house here in Midland. 3rd one we have gotten here since May. I very nearly stepped on him, but luckily I noticed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.