Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,415 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
Icecream_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
tx4guns said:

Our neighbors posted a fuzzy picture a few weeks ago of a snake with a red head and black colored body. Any idea what it could be? League City area.
only thing that google finds is a red-headed krait, but those are asian.

sure it wasnt a red headed centipede?
agingcowboy
AG
Perhaps the head was red from the bludgeoning that sometimes occurs just prior to obtaining photo documentation of the snake in question...?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
tx4guns
AG
Yeah, the krait is what scared me. Somebody else saw it a few days later. Not sure what it is, but it may just be a funny looking rat snake.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I'm wondering if it wasn't a broad banded with a lot of red/orange on the head. But it wouldn't be solid in color and likely a lot of black, too.
Dallasag02
AG
This would suck.

Woman buys house, turns out it's full of garter snakes

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Dallasag02 said:

This would suck.

Woman buys house, turns out it's full of garter snakes

Seriously. If your house is going to be infested by snakes, you would at least hope it would be something cool/interesting.
LisaMarie
AG
Until I see a picture I am always skeptical about peoples' snake descriptions. People are generally lolbad at it.
Badace52
AG
Coachwhips can have a red head fading into a darker colored body. Was it a long thin snake with a smallish head and neck area?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jbanda
AG
SIAP

Badace52
AG
That's one pissed off reticulated python. Gotta admit though, I've never really seen a nice one. They're just an angry snake.
agcrock2005
AG
jbanda said:

SIAP

The narration is awesome...
SteveBott
AG
Wow
12f Mane
AG
Green seems to be used a ton and there are very few green snakes here
tx4guns
AG
Here's the pics the lady posted of the red headed stranger... Water snake or coachwhip would be my guess. It's probably more brown and not red.

12f Mane
AG
Coachwhip. Ha, "red head and black body"
tx4guns
AG
Her words, not mine. Haha. I posted a thread with detailed pictures of how to ID water snakes and cottonmouths and rat snakes a few weeks back. Trying to educate the soccer moms and save beneficial snakes. I have no problem with neighborhood cottonmouths dying.
12f Mane
AG
They can definitely have more intense red heads and black bodies, depending on where you are. I'd imagine her snake looks something like this

tx4guns
AG
A lot of coachwhips get killed because of how mean they look. Intimidating snake.
AggieStout
AG
When I see pics of coach whips I always think of Indiana Jones and his whip
BeardofZeus01
AG
Turkey hunting this past Saturday just outside of Glen Rose, TX. This guy was creeping along the house foundation a few hours before a front rolled in. Saw more snakes this weekend than we have in a decade of hunting this ranch, but he was the only one who would cooperate for a pic. 2 copperheads while cutting some oak dead fall, a sizable rattler killed by a cattle rancher (as reported by him) and this guy plus another one just like him on another part of the ranch. I'm unsure, but my guess is rat snake with a darker coloration. What say the experts? And he lived to help continue to dent the rodent population in our camphouse.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
You're correct!
VaultingChemist
AG
tx4guns said:

A lot of coachwhips get killed because of how mean they look. Intimidating snake.
They will chase you if you make them mad. You will often see them in pairs.
Badace52
AG
Ha... it was a coachwhip.
12f Mane
AG
VaultingChemist said:

tx4guns said:

They will chase you if you make them mad. You will often see them in pairs.
reveille23
had one at the house last week, the rib came unglued when she saw him slither passed the door as she let the dog in. So off I go, tried to usher him off to the pasture to make momma happy. He wasn't having it, after a few attempts to hide under the AC unit he turned around and rose up like he was gonna come at me. That's when the beatings commenced. Sorry OB, I tried to save him but I guess the lizards at the homestead are going to get out of control.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Curious what this one is? I'm almost certain that it isn't venomous but I couldn't be 100% certain.

Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
carpe vinum
AG
Young Texas Rat
tx4guns
AG
Rat snake
Tx-Ag2010
AG
That was my guess... It startled the hell out of me. I was changing the oil on my truck (on my back) and it was about 1' away from my wrenches.
Sean98
AG
Why didn't you just tell her it moved along? Even if it did escape to the pasture it would have been back.

... and have no fear. Another one will take it's place tomorrow.
@ggie
AG
ID? Brazos County - about 18" long.

jbanda
AG
Some sort of mamba.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Pretty sure it's a yellow belly racer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.