Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,390 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
Legal Custodian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DDSO said:

#Yes
DDSO
AG
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
chiken
AG
Are there much snakes in Washington state?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
http://wdfw.wa.gov/living/snakes.html

Diamondback is the only guy you need to worry about.
Sean98
AG
Sounds, from the link you posted, like it's not actually a Diamondback? But simply a "Western rattlesnake?"
12f Mane
AG
chiken said:

Are there much snakes in Washington state?
Yes. Certain spots have huge densities of gartersnakes. Some are really wild looking too.

These are from Oregon but along the Gorge and similar snakes are in Washington.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
12f mane can probably talk about the taxonomy but I believe they're subspecies of prairie rattlesnakes.
JD Shellnut
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/living/snakes.html

Diamondback is the only guy you need to worry about.

The rubber boa is a cool looking snake on that list. Never knew boas lived that far north.
12f Mane
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

12f mane can probably talk about the taxonomy but I believe they're subspecies of prairie rattlesnakes.
They were moved into the "western rattlesnake" clade a while back and are now part of the "oreganus" complex. Washington snakes are considered Northern Pacific Rattlesnakes (Crotalus oreganus oreganus).
Finn Maccumhail
AG
MPD280 said:

I had a long talk with my employee about how we would handle these things from now on. He felt like he was stuck once it was brought inside, so we did the best we could.

So he didn't know it was venomous?
MPD280
My guy did. He was bitten on the hand once before (at a different job checking water meters). But he did not get the gentleman's name, and the guy has not returned to claim his office supplies container- so I don't know for sure. He used a bunch of tape on the container, so probably?
12th Man Ag
AG
Lab got bit on his nose by a copperhead. Anything we can do at home or does he need the emergency vet?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
MPD280 said:

My guy did. He was bitten on the hand once before (at a different job checking water meters). But he did not get the gentleman's name, and the guy has not returned to claim his office supplies container- so I don't know for sure. He used a bunch of tape on the container, so probably?

This is extremely strange... I don't doubt the validity, I am just trying to understand how:

1. Identify Snake
2. Safely capture it
3. Recognize (most likely) its venomous
4. Secure snake in container
5. Not know what to do with it??????
6. Bring it to shelter

Just very odd. You would think they would either not capture it, kill it or release it.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Benadryl 1mg per lb and watch the dog for severe reaction if you want to take a chance at home. Probably worth taking it to the vet though, just in case.

*Not a vet
ellebee
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Benadryl 1mg per lb and watch the dog for severe reaction if you want to take a chance at home. Probably worth taking it to the vet though, just in case.

*Not a vet

This thread has taught me that copperhead = Benadryl.

**even less of a vet than the dude above me so don't listen to anything I say.
Badace52
AG
Dogs handle snake bites much better than humans and copperhead bites are very rarely fatal in humans. The dog will most likely be completely fine and other than give benadryl and steroids (possibly pain meds and IV flyids) the vet is unlikely to do very much. However, without seeing the animal myself I can't tell you what to do.

*Also not a vet
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MPD280
I agree. We posted on the FB page thinking someone might come forward, but no luck so far. I'd love to hear his side of the story. The box is not very big, still not sure how he managed to load it up.

ETA- well maybe the gentleman has identified himself- https://www.facebook.com/marshallpd/posts/1564646620269112
Serious Lee
i was always told by coon hunters that if he gets bit in the face he will be okay sans a bunch of swelling (may lose sight in one or both eyes in extreme cases). the bites in the chest are the ones where you should haul ass to the vet or start prepping the grave.
12th Man Ag
AG
Well, we went to the vet and $400 later we are going home. He would have most likely been fine with Benadryl, but I am in California and my in-laws are at the house, so the vet was a peace of mind call.
Badace52
AG
I hear you... I spent 600 on a dog we ended up having to put down anyway to "give him a chance". Putting him down cost 40. They were gonna do it for free the first time cuz the wife was so upset.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agent-maroon
AG
12th Man Ag said:

Well, we went to the vet and $400 later we are going home. He would have most likely been fine with Benadryl, but I am in California and my in-laws are at the house, so the vet was a peace of mind call.
Copperheads in Cali? Or are you just talking snakebites in general?
Badace52
AG
Wait... I missed this. Are you in California? There are no copperheads in California.
ellebee
Ok so now I'm curious and I can't remember if it's been discussed. If a human gets bit by a copperhead, what should they do? Is a trip to the dr necessary?
Badace52
AG
Yes. You should definitely go to the ER if you are bit by a copperhead. People do occasionally die from copperhead bites and the risk of that happening goes to almost zero with antivenom.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yes

Most likely won't do anything other than monitor heart rate, watch for allergic reactions and administer anti-biotic and steroid.

Friend of mine was bit and it was just an overnight trip to the ER with the above administered. Highly doubtful they give you Chrofab (antivenin)

If you're a really big gambler... take some Benadryl, draw lines around the swelling and drink a lot of alcohol

Please, God don't do the last one.... it was a joke.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Badace52 said:

Wait... I missed this. Are you in California? There are no copperheads in California.

He is in California while his parents watch his dog, is they way I read it.
ellebee
ttha_aggie_09 said:

If you're a really big gambler... take some Benadryl, draw lines around the swelling and drink a lot of alcohol

PERFECT!!

J/k. Ok good to know. I assumed you would want to go to the ER but then started thinking maybe it wouldn't be necessary.
Badace52
AG
Ok... makes sense.
12th Man Ag
AG
agent-maroon said:

12th Man Ag said:

Copperheads in Cali? Or are you just talking snakebites in general?

Sorry, I am in California this weekend, but we live in Humble.
agent-maroon
AG
Thanks for the reply. ttha_aggie_09 had already figured it out for us readers that were still a coffee or two short of comprehension
SabineAg
AG
I've gone through the whole $500 vet trip. Benedryl is the well documented move. However, I've also learned through our on campus Aggie vets that Pepcid is a good thing to give as well because the bite can upset their stomachs and you want to do all you can to calm the dog
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I don't know if it was due to the cooler weather this morning but the snakes were active in the neighborhood today. One family had a copperhead in their front shrubs and a decent sized coral in another yard. I'll try to get the pics off FB.

Neither are uncommon around here but 2 legit venomous snakes on the same day has folks a little riled up.

Of course one dude claims to have had a rattlesnake in his yard. I suppose it could have been a timber but here on the Upper East Side of Houston it would be exceedingly rare.
12f Mane
AG
What area?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
12f Mane said:

What area?

Summerwood. Off the SW corner of Lake Houston.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Not sure about range (defer to 12fmane) but a guy I worked with lives there and the development around that area has pushed wildlife around. Especially recently.... wouldn't surprise me if that hasn't moved snakes around too

Edit*

If he saw a rattlesnake, very unlikely it's a western... most likely a timber

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.