Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,394 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
Iowaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CherryLodes said:

If it had been me, all that would be left was a house sized crater.

It's an irrational fear. It's only a snake in your toilet that can FREAKING KILL YOU by putting it's fangs into your ball sac. But only if it feels trapped. By your ass.
Mathguy64
AG

Now imagine that happening to your junk/scrot because you had to get up and go in the middle of the night and didnt want to turn on the lights.

Nope.

edit. Do not google "rattlesnake bite on scrotum" If you do, do not scroll down the page a while. No no no.
AZAG08
AG
mathguy86 said:

edit. Do not google "rattlesnake bite on scrotum" If you do, do not scroll down the page a while. No no no.
Thanks for falling on that sword for all of us
aggieaviator
AG
Took dogs for a walk 11/1/16. Came home and told my wife to hurry and put in the dogs inside. I went in and told her she had just walked by this little guy on our front porch. Believe it's a Great Plains Rat Snake. She would have freaked and I'm afraid my dogs would have killed it. It slowly made its way into a large weep hole in the stone column and disappeared. About 2 ft long. Beautiful color pattern.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
I think thats just your standard rat snake but I may be mistaken. Where was this?

O and good job not burning your house down!
aggieaviator
AG
Spring, TX
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I'll let 12fmane or someone else confirm but the dark coloration screams Texas rat snake to me. Especially if it's in the Houston area.
12f Mane
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I'll let 12fmane or someone else confirm but the dark coloration screams Texas rat snake to me. Especially if it's in the Houston area.
aggieaviator
AG
Thanks for the confirmation. Pretty snake. I assume he/she will eventually leave the house and settle in elsewhere once it can't fit inside that hole anymore? I don't have a rat problem; so I have that going for me. Which is nice.
Ag83
AG
aggieaviator said:

I don't have a rat problem; so I have that going for me. Which is nice.

Maybe he's the reason for that. He leaves...
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
12f Mane
AG
That looks like the Victoria zoo. I had to clean all of the glass there as part of community service.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Impressive. What species?
12f Mane
AG
Depends on locality and if you buy the recent split of that species... but it's a black-tailed rattlesnake.
oneeyedag
aggieaviator
AG
That camouflage.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
12f Mane said:

Depends on locality and if you buy the recent split of that species... but it's a black-tailed rattlesnake.

Care to elaborate more on this?
12f Mane
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

12f Mane said:

Care to elaborate more on this?
Basically the eastern and western populations of black-tailed rattlesnakes (Crotalus molossus) were split into two species based on "morphological and molecular" evidence. Texas and New Mexico, roughly, got the new species "Crotalus ornatus." It's part of a recent trend of splitting "species" by herp scientist, mainly using mitochondrial and nuclear genes. I don't buy into most of it.

http://digitalcommons.utep.edu/dissertations/AAI1503704/

EFE
AG

He stood perfectly still right up until I got the camera out and then he hauled ass into the sugar cane.
12f Mane
AG
Sugar cane in the valley?
EFE
AG
Yep, he was stretched out sunning himself and was sleeping soundly until right as I got my phone out to snap a pic.
Madaman
What is it? Looks iridescent but too light (and too south?) for an Indigo.
I'm not familiar with the far south of the state.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
It's an Indigo. Plenty of them down south.
Madaman
Blue Smoke
Found this one in my garage and chilled him out in the freezer.

[img][/img]
LisaMarie
zooguy96
12f Mane said:

That looks like the Victoria zoo. I had to clean all of the glass there as part of community service.

I worked there for the Summer of 2000 as an intern. Right after the flood of '98.
txags92
AG
My sister worked there as education director for 10 years back when it was still focused on native Texas wildlife. Had fun playing with the education critters they had there when I was in high school.
Ptery83
Snake related question. Without having to make a whole thread for this- I'm looking at ordering some Chippewa Snake Boots online and the website Solomonoutfitters.com is a bit cheaper than any other vendor and with free shipping. I've never heard of them and can't find a lot of info on if they are legit or not. Anyone with experience with them? Thanks!
suprafly03
AG
No help on Solomon Outfitters.

But I got my Chippewas from Workboots.com.

They have a good selection, better prices than most, ND offer scratched samples that were even better priced.
Ptery83
Thanks! I'll check them out.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Figured I would ask here.

Ok first off I live in Austin's Colony for a geographic setting. I've noticed the snake smell the past few days. I don't think I'm crazy but I swear I can smell water snakes. My wife told me today the dog spent a great deal of time barking under the porch. I've used the moth ball concoction before when my neighbor had the yard overgrown and I saw a few snakes years back. Should I go poking around or is there something y'all could recommend?

Burning it with fire is not an option.
AZAG08
AG
bh93 said:

Burning it with fire is THE ONLY option.
FIFY
12f Mane
AG
bh93 said:

Figured I would ask here.

Ok first off I live in Austin's Colony for a geographic setting. I've noticed the snake smell the past few days. I don't think I'm crazy but I swear I can smell water snakes. My wife told me today the dog spent a great deal of time barking under the porch. I've used the moth ball concoction before when my neighbor had the yard overgrown and I saw a few snakes years back. Should I go poking around or is there something y'all could recommend?

Burning it with fire is not an option.
Austin's Colony in Travis County? Looks like suburbia to me, so you shouldn't have a snake problem. Maybe an occasional visitor.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Brazos county.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.