Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,521 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
black spiny-tailed iguana?
txags92
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

black spiny-tailed iguana?

Nope.

Hint: There are only about 1600 left in the world.
TheVarian
AG
That would be my Ex
txags92
AG
agent-maroon said:

Assuming it's found in Texas... so, maybe Mexican Spinytail Iguana?
Not found in Texas. Only found on two islands.
Badace52
AG
Lesser Antillean iguana??
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
12f Mane
AG
Ctenosaura bakeri?
mrsbeer05
AG
Salt water iguana? Not sure if that's the actual name, but the sneeze salty snot.
txags92
AG
12f Mane said:

Ctenosaura bakeri?
Cyclura nubila caymanensis - Lesser Cayman Iguana
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclura_nubila_caymanensis

We just spent a week on Little Cayman a few weeks ago. Terrific diving, but they also have some very cool native wildlife that isn't found anywhere else. There are about a half dozen of these guys hanging around the resort where we stayed, ranging from about a foot long to about 3 feet.
Badace52
AG
Technically not a species. Just a subspecies and the Cuban subspecies is not endangered. Population between 40 and 60,000.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
txags92
AG
The Cuban is its own species, and the Lesser Cayman is a subspecies of that. There are around 1600 of the Lesser Cayman subspecies remaining, mostly on Little Cayman.
Badace52
AG
They are both subspecies of Cyclura nubila... The Cuban subspecies is Cyclura nubila nubila and the Cayman subspecies is Cyclura nubila caymanensis.
12f Mane
AG
txags92 said:

12f Mane said:

Ctenosaura bakeri?

We just spent a week on Little Cayman a few weeks ago. Terrific diving, but they also have some very cool native wildlife that isn't found anywhere else. There are about a half dozen of these guys hanging around the resort where we stayed, ranging from about a foot long to about 3 feet.
Great stuff, and thanks for the pic. Much of those islands lack herp diversity but there are some interesting species on each island.
txags92
AG
12f Mane said:

txags92 said:

12f Mane said:

Ctenosaura bakeri?

Great stuff, and thanks for the pic. Much of those islands lack herp diversity but there are some interesting species on each island.
Yeah, they have some pretty cool curly tailed lizards too. I will post a pic next time I am on my laptop. I have never seen a snake there, but I believe they do have a few species. The entire island is only about 9 miles long by a mile wide. There are about 6x as many iguanas as permanent residents.
TamuKid
AG
Found this little guy in the garage, got run over when pulling out the truck, I suppose.

Can someone confirm my guess, this is a juvenile Ratsnake?

Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
TamuKid said:

Found this little guy in the garage, got run over when pulling out the truck, I suppose.

Can someone confirm my guess, this is a juvenile Ratsnake?

That is correct. Found one in my gf's bathroom yesterday.
EFE
AG
That's like the opposite of what I found in there...
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

That's like the opposite of what I found in there...

Well played.
ellebee
YEEEEAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

txags92
AG
Something something something she'll never go back...
Chazz03
AG
playing with snakes makes her happy
ellebee
Chazz03 said:

playing with snakes makes her happy

Your face is dumb.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Dang nobody has said what it is. I'm guessing grass snake.

No yellow ring though.
Badace52
AG
rough earth snake
Badace52
AG
No snake in the United States has the common name of grass snake. There is a grass snake in Europe, but there is no such thing as a grass snake in the U.S.

Grass Snake (with range):

Here's a link to a post I did on this a while back:
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2824989/replies/48757974
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Thank you.

Just like others on here, prior to this thread all snakes were bad. I wouldn't go out of my way to kill them but if I saw one it was a goner.

So bottom line. Thanks to you and the many others on this thread for teaching us a better way.
ellebee
Badace52 said:

but there is no such thing as a grass snake in the U.S.

Ahem...
agcrock2005
AG
Almost stepped on gopher snake walking to deer stand in Eden (10 miles away). About 5 feet long. 2015 and prior me would have killed it but I told him he should thank Texags and let him slither off. Pretty snake. Don't know how to post pics from mobile so this post sucks. Sorry.
Badace52
AG
Get imgur on your phone from the app store, then upload the image to imgur. Click on the image in imgur to enlarge it then copy from there and paste into Texags
Sean98
AG
bh93 said:

Dang nobody has said what it is. I'm guessing grass snake.

No yellow ring though.
Since you mentioned the yellow ring, I'm assuming you meant ringnecked snake? Also about that size and appearance, minus the very noticeable ring.
12f Mane
AG
Badace52 said:

rough earth snake
shortstackaggie
AG
https://imgur.com/gallery/4Rt7X

Walking around the Kanapaha Botanical Gardens in Gainesville, FL and saw this in the bushes. I think it is a juvenile water moccasin. What do you all think? BTHOuf!
Ag83
AG
shortstackaggie said:

https://imgur.com/gallery/4Rt7X

Walking around the Kanapaha Botanical Gardens in Gainesville, FL and saw this in the bushes. I think it is a juvenile water moccasin. What do you all think? BTHOuf!
Yep - that'd be my call.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yep
shortstackaggie
AG
I can still learn things! Thanks to this board.
Badace52
AG

Good eye... definitely a cottonmouth.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.