Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,531 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
BeardofZeus01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You said "next to the lake" ... I cast my vote for yellow bellied water snake even though we can't see any of the belly or face for confirmation. Posted a pic awhile back of one that I found perished in my yard and he had really dark coloration like this one.
Bassmaster
AG
Yes, the lake is just out of view from the picture (about 5-6 feet away). I could see a slight yellow tint under him, but you had to be really looking to see it. Can't see it in the picture.
BeardofZeus01
AG
Indigo's are dark bellied if I'm not mistaken. Those that are snake-smarter than me can confirm.
12f Mane
AG
It's a yellow bellied water snake. It's extra dark because it's got its dirty winter skin and needs a shed.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
12f Mane said:

It's a yellow bellied water snake. It's extra dark because it's got its dirty winter skin and needs a shed.

Dang dirty snake! Take a bath and shed. Caused me to misidentify!! Sheesh

In my defense it looked pretty dang clise to an indigo

EFE
AG
Indigos have a very bold/distinct scale pattern
Bassmaster
AG
I questioned Indigo as well. In fact, before my 1st edit, I mentioned Indigo and then talked myself out of it.
Tursiops93
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Not a snake... just a cool shot of a gecko eating a mosquito fly on our window screen tonight.

Just an FYI...although called Mosquito Hawks by many, those are Crane Flies and don't eat mosquitos.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Huh. I did not know that. I've just always called them mosquito flies...

Sbisa04
AG
Edit: thanks for the response and sorry for any offense
txags92
AG
A bunch of harmless snakes that would have helped alot with your spider problems. Bet you have more spiders now...
chiken
AG
that picture makes me sad
Badace52
AG
They are texas brown snakes and as mentioned before are harmless.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
AG
The one lowest down in the picture is a rough earth snake. Also harmless.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
txags92
AG
Sbisa04 said:

Edit: thanks for the response and sorry for any offense

Not offended and didn't mean to be rude with my response. It was just a bit depressing to see. Sorry. Glue traps are bad news for snakes. When other insects or critters get stuck on them, snakes often come to try to catch them. The snakes rarely survive removal from the glue trap.
AG
http://abc13.com/news/snake-stuck-in-suv-in-pearland-parking-lot/1779501/

Caption correct...headline? Well...

Edit...they updated the headline. Was the knee jerk moccasin sighting...
12f Mane
AG
"Western" ratsnake is a recent taxonomic change I don't really agree with. I'll keep calling them Texas ratsnakes. But I digress.
Robk
TX rat until the day I die. I have not colloquially adopted ornatus and a whole bunch of other publish or die names.
12f Mane
AG
A Robk appearance!

Post a snake!
Robk
I need to get out a go look for some first.
ursusguy
AG
He's back
Rock1982
AG

Gopher Snake at my place in Arizona yesterday. Awesome camo.
BenFiasco14
AG
No photo because I ran away, but I was hiking out in Dripping Springs the other day and almost jumped down from a rock right onto a fairly large rattlesnake. Before I made the leap, I looked down into the brush and low and behold there it was, camouflaged well within the leaves and brush. It rattled at me and everything.

I had never NOPED out of a place so fast. I was wearing shorts too, and was alone.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Must not be any hogs in dripping springs!

Seriously though, glad you're okay
BenFiasco14
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Must not be any hogs in dripping springs!

Seriously though, glad you're okay
Thanks. It was at Pedernales Falls State Park (which I highly recommend, by the way), so no hogs at least from what I could see. It was definitely a scary experience for me as I HATE snakes. It wouldve been a bit different if I had my jeans and boots on, but I felt quite exposed with just tennis shoes and basketball shorts. I'd seen rattlers before, but had never heard one actually rattle at me.

Crazy stuff.

I also think the park is technically in Johnson City, just west of Dripping
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Rock1982 said:

Gopher Snake at my place in Arizona yesterday. Awesome camo.

It's amazing how dark he looks on the gravel and how light he looks on the rock. Very cool, thanks for the post.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I have to take a moment to admit how amazed I am at my misfortune at my house. I live in Spring, bayou access in my cul-d-sac, I have a stack of concrete boulders from a walkway I tore out, a stack of old logs from a tree I cut down, lots of flower beds with natural leaf coverage and I can not manage to stumble across a snake! I have been wanting to contribute some pictures so badly.

(I dont count these) The only snakes I have seen....are dead 6" garden snakes that make the poor decision to take refuge in the edging along my driveway, I've killed 3 with my edger accidentally.
Ayto Siks
Saw this guy hiding in deep grass today. Couldn't tell if he had any muted bands or stripes. Looked solid black except for the jaw, but he was mostly hidden and hard to see. SW Florida.

Left the snake alone and kept hiking. Found a momma gator and her babies. The mom slept in the sun and was totally used to hikers taking pics.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
It's definitely not venomous -- I'll see if others can identify how that's so easily identified.

Not sure what species it is, though. Cool pictures of the Gator!
Daddy-O5
AG
Round eyes and the stripes on the lower jaw. Non venomous but no idea what species.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Good job!
12f Mane
AG
I would go with banded water snake, but hard to tell. I could probably do some facial scale counts to be sure but I'm watching the Ags BTHO TCU.
12f Mane
AG
A few recent finds.

Took my daughter out last weekend and found 13 snakes (10 copperheads) during a short hike.

Spotted this intergrade buttermilk/yellowbellied racer in some privet during a survey in Tomball.
Daddy-O5
AG
Caught one of those in Tomball as a kid that looked just like that. Mean little snake.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
We need to have an OB snake search party. Get a few people together, including the "kill it with fire" folks, and have fun trying to find snakes!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.