Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,490 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
MathNewman06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FrioAg 00
AG
That's not going to end well for him. That basically perfect bait for the meanest of the 4chan/Anonomous crowd.
Brush Country
Whole bunch of nope.
AgShaun00
AG
i said not to watch it!!!
Mathguy64
AG
That's just wrong. I know intellectually that the snake has to eat, and what is going on there not really much different than feeding smaller pythons and constrictors things like mice or rats. But something about that is just plain wrong.
jbanda
AG
I watched that a couple of weeks ago. I didn't really know what was going to happen and then BAM.
Badace52
AG
If the person is Southeast Asian that is not that big a deal. They eat dogs, why shouldn't their pets eat dogs. If they are American that is a definite sign of antisocial behavior. It's all about ethical relativism. In Mongolian cultures it is very normal to eat horses and Indian cultures think we are horrible people for eating cows. To each their own. When you run into trouble is when people start deviating heavily from their own cultural norms. It can be a sign of antisocial personality disorder which is the personality spectrum from which we get our serial killers.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Serious Lee
stopped my dad from shooting this "copperhead" this morning. Don't know how yall get such picturesque photos but this is the best i could do with my phone. Broadbanded right?

12f Mane
AG
Back to recent local snakes

coachwhip

speckled kingsnake
OnlyForNow
AG
Coachwhips always look pissed...
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
12f Mane said:

speckled kingsnake

Can these also be more orange than yellow?
AggiePetro07
AG
I think speckled kingsnakes and copperheads are the most beautiful snakes I've ever seen.
jbanda
AG
Broad banded water snake I believe.
Legal Custodian
AG
That is a beautiful Speckled King Snake
12f Mane
AG
They can be cream, white, yellow, or orange, with orange being the least common.
AggieAuditor
AG
That is a beautiful snake.
AG
Coworker said his neighborhood Facebook page was getting lit up over tons of these all over the place. Before he showed me the picture he told me they had a rattle. As soon as I saw the stripes I thought timber rattler but this is a diamondback water snake right?
BuddysBud
AG
Yes, Diamondback Water Snake. Nonvenomous and pretty much harmless unless you are a frog.
It is a good thing that they do not have rattles, specially if they are posting on Facebook, because timber rattle snakes are protected. A lot of snakes shake their tail against dried leaves to make it sound like a rattle, which might have caused the confusion.
AG
Thanks! Maybe the Facebook poster thought it "had rattles" when it just twitched its tail like you said. I did warn him about timber rattlers though and they better be sure of what they kill before they post! My eyes got big when I first saw the stripes. He didn't kill this one by the way. He said he'd never get close enough to kill a snake!
carpe vinum
AG
12f Mane said:

speckled kingsnake

I had one of these cruise right up on the patio where were sitting around a few years ago. I picked him up and showed everyone they didn't need to be afraid, then set him back down to cruise on. That was the most laid back snake I'd ever seen. Never got defensive or upset.
I'm used to grumpy water snakes around here, that was surprising.
12f Mane
AG
They rarely bite and are generally nonaggressive but have some of the worst smelling musk around, which they share generously.
carpe vinum
AG
12f Mane said:

They rarely bite and are generally nonaggressive but have some of the worst smelling musk around, which they share generously.
Huh. It didn't feel stressed I guess.
If I relocate a water snake I wear gloves, and grab a paint roller stick for exactly that reason.
I hadn't seen one of them before, and it was right there among us before I noticed so I was bare handed.
Cool snake. I think I have a pic. I'll look for it.

Here he is
dave99ag
AG
Obviously not a snake, but these little guys can be mean. This one was sunning on the driveway, so I moved him along where the dogs won't bother him.

Robk
Specks rarely bite? You maybe, lol. The seem to always to chew on me. I do agree about musk however. Finally found some time. 10 snakes, and 1 legless lizard in a couple hours. Just a road shot of the biggest BB watersnake i have ever seen

""
Cromagnum
AG
dave99ag said:

Obviously not a snake, but these little guys can be mean. This one was sunning on the driveway, so I moved him along where the dogs won't bother him.

You ain't lying. Satan himself showed up in this one's eyes before he attacked.

Ol Jock 99
AG
Moral of the story: don't be a dick to a snapping turtle.
Stive
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Moral of the story: don't be a dick to a snapping turtle.

Ran into tons of them as a kid. Just gave them a wide birth and moved on. Messing with them was never worth the prospect of getting bit.
SteveBott
AG
As a kid my buddy caught one and put it on his patio. For fun he would poke the snapper turtle with a broom handle to show how it would break the handle when it bit it.

I've been in the no no no camp ever since
WLW12SPJ
AG
Question...if a person does get popped by a poisonous snake is it better if it is a young/juvenile snake, or an "old" snake? I've heard different explanations about young snakes can't control their venom, an older snake's venom is more toxic, etc.

I ask because my sister n law was bit yesterday morning on the hand by what seems to be a juvenile copperhead while pulling weeds. She actually did not see the snake and grabbed it. My understanding she is on her 4th vile of anti-venom with swelling all the way under her armpit.

Moral of the story. Be careful where you stick your hands and feet. Oh, and their place is currently on fire and has a for sale sign on it. ;-)
thaed137
AG
From what this board has taught me:

Young Juvenile Snake - Not as much venom but has a higher chance of dumping all the venom they have on the first bite.

Older Snake - More venom but has a higher chance of being a dry bite or smaller amount of venom due to them not wasting it all on a single bite.
WLW12SPJ
AG
Thanks for the response 137. That was basically what I was finding in my search. Old snakes are more potent and have more, but can control it. Young snakes are not as potent and have less, but can't control it.

One way or another, it sounds like she is having a bad reaction needing 4 doses anti-venom. I am guessing that is a lot.
thaed137
AG
I don't know on that end but good luck and hope everything turns out well.
OnlyForNow
AG
In my opinion, this isn't true. Venom is the snake's last line of defense, if it dumps it all it is very vulnerable.

I'm pretty sure there have been some studies done attempting to prove/disprove this and mostly the evidence isn't strong for either case; but I'm not positive on this.
Badace52
AG
4 vials is the absolute minimum dose of crofab given in any significant snake envenomation. The initial dose for a bite that looks very bad initially or is from one of the more potent pit viper species is 6-12 vials and the medicine can be redosed with 4-6 more vials every hour if the venom's toxic effects are not well controlled initially.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
AG
She should be glad cuz that stuff runs patients somewhere between 3,600 and 4,100 dollars per vial. The hospital charges insurance companies about 50,000 dollars per vial but generally people are only required to pay 3,600-4,100. It's all ridiculous cuz similar products in Mexico sell for about 100 dollars per vial... O.K. rant over.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.