Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,499 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Likely a fish but could be a frog as well
blackgoldag11
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Likely a fish but could be a frog as well
pond was covered in bullfrogs.
BuddysBud
AG

I came across this headless serpent as I was mowing my property in northern Grimes county yesterday. I figured that it was a victim of our resident barred owl the previous night. Based on its long tail and decreasing color down the tail I am guessing that it is a coachwhip.

Interestingly, about an hour later it was gone. I did not see any hawks nearby and the neighbors who would let their dogs run loose have moved. What could have taken a dead headless snake in the middle of the afternoon without being noticed?
SabineAg
AG
It's a slithery sneaky little snake
12f Mane
AG
Who knows what happened. That's a racer. That area is within the intergrade zone for two subspecies so they can look a little funky.
Yep66
AG
I have a new house guest.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Good hiding spot! Lets the lizards and geckos come to him.
BuddysBud
AG
12f Mane said:

Who knows what happened. That's a racer. That area is within the intergrade zone for two subspecies so they can look a little funky.

12f, can you give an explanation of the two subspecies in the intergrade zone and what makes this one a little funky?
JSKolache
AG
Have we talked about how Galveston west end dunes are covered in rattlesnakes?? Saw a whole pile of em over the weekend.
AggieAuditor
AG
beefiedoubleoh said:

Have we talked about how Galveston west end dunes are covered in rattlesnakes?? Saw a whole pile of em over the weekend.
No pics?
12f Mane
AG
BuddysBud said:

12f Mane said:

12f, can you give an explanation of the two subspecies in the intergrade zone and what makes this one a little funky?
Busy at work today, but basically that area you can have yellowbelly racers and buttermilk racers in close proximity and when they breed the babies can have characteristics of either or both parents. Intergrades for those two subspecies seem to be darker than yellowbellies but don't have the intense spotting like adult buttermilk.

yellowbelly

buttermilk

mutt from that general area
agcrock2005
AG
I've learned so much cool **** from this thread (and 2016)! Glad to say I don't kill every snake because I'm an uneducated dumbass like I used to be. Thanks folks!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
beefiedoubleoh said:

I believe so. I know it has been bad on this board multiple times.

The erosion prevention brought the rat and rabbit habitat back... guess what followed?
Daddy-O5
AG
I have yet to see any of the aforementioned rattlesnakes, but the rabbits are certainly out in force these days on the dunes. Certainly makes sense that the snakes will follow.
BuddysBud
AG
Thanks! I have seen various water snakes a copperhead, 1-2 cottonmouths, rat snakes, ribbon snakes, rough green snakes, and even a hognose. But this is the first racer, and it is an interesting variation! Too bad it was dead. As mentioned above, I have learned a lot from these snake threads, and they seem to have saved countless lives (of snakes).
12f Mane
AG
That's a good list from a really diverse area. Love herping in east central Texas.
zooguy96
agcrock2005 said:

I've learned so much cool **** from this thread (and 2016)! Glad to say I don't kill every snake because I'm an uneducated dumbass like I used to be. Thanks folks!

And this is why we have the thread. Good bull.
The Lost

My first pic... that's not mine haha
ttha_aggie_09
AG
3.5'
Sean98
AG
Chipper and his merry band of Black face paint wearing jackholes. #buttcommander
Yep66
AG
Any guesses on what kind of snake is living in my weep hole?
12f Mane
12f Mane
AG
It's a coachwhip
Tursiops93
AG
12f Mane said:

It's a coachwhip
Are you sure it isn't a trouser snake?
Throwout
AG
Am I the only one that thinks that pic from Chipper's twitter is fake?
12f Mane
AG
Chipper Jones' face looks like it is perpetually swollen from red wasp stings and I hate him.
agcrock2005
AG
Why so much hate? Second negative comment about him. I don't know much about the guy other than he was a badass player.
txags92
AG
He played for the braves and was an absolute astro killer. He was our arch nemesis before Pujols.
Ol Jock 99
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Why so much hate? Second negative comment about him. I don't know much about the guy other than he was a badass player.

This. Astros thing?
AgEng06
AG
agcrock2005 said:

You ever watched Buck Commander?
Ol Jock 99
AG
Nope
12f Mane
AG
txags92 said:

He played for the braves and was an absolute astro killer. He was our arch nemesis before Pujols.
txags92
AG
bh93 said:

I'm going with forced perception and going to believe it isn't dead.

(Seriously though can't fault someone looking out for kids.)

We have a winner! Wasn't a 1x4 stick as I had suspected. Snake was about 18" and fit easily in a ziploc bag. Will have exact measurements in a few days.

MROD92
Wife just killed a sized coral snake on our place today
ttha_aggie_09
AG
MROD92 said:

Wife just killed a sized coral snake on our place today

I think it's funny how the tone of this thread has changed.... a lot of people are now upset or mad if they or someone they know kills a snake. Last year it was maybe a handful of people explaining why you shouldn't kill every snake while the general consensus was to kill it with fire.

Lots of progress has been made!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.