Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,511 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
BuddysBud
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good point. My first impression was cottonmouth, perhaps from the dark coloration as well as the stubby look.
Throwout
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Also worth noting, this snake had an apparent tail injury and it appears to be shortened/severed making the snake appear fuller.

Oh no! Now they're either not growing tails or purposefully removing them to avoid us being able to ID them by tail shortness or color of the tail. Well played, evolution, well played...
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Funny!

I know this because when I was a kid, I tried pulling a diamondback water snake out from some rocks in the local bayou and all I had was the tip of the tail... pulled a little too hard and yanked off the last 3-4" or so.

A few months later caught the same snake about 10 yards from that spot with a stubby, little tail. Nice and fat, too.
dave99ag
AG
Spent the weekend on our property near Alpine and all I found was this skin. My wife was with me, so I didn't spend too much time trying to stir up any snakes. This skin was probably 2.5' long.

AgEng06
AG
dave99ag said:

My wife was with me, so I didn't spend too much time trying to stir up any snakes.
You're doing it wrong...
dave99ag
Serious Lee
from the weekend at my parents house. mother was LIVID that i shot video instead of bullets.

https://vimeo.com/219583643
AZAG08
AG
Tell her its just a water snake...Im sure she will understand
ttha_aggie_09
AG
That's awesome! Those pectoral fins on a catfish can make them tricky to swallow.
Badace52
AG
She's a pretty good sized diamondback water snake, shouldn't have been too difficult.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BuddysBud
AG
In last year's snake thread I had posted pictures of a large diamondback water snake trying to swallow an approximately 12" catfish, which ended up being more than it could handle. The snake grabbed the fish as it was feeding on pellets. After trying to swallow the fish for more than a half hour, the snake realized that it could not get past the outstretched fins and slowly let the then dead catfish loose. Watching the snake maneuver the fish and trying to swallow it was awesome to watch.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I think I remember that one.

Reminds of one I caught as a kid that was eating the catfish tail first and couldn't get past the fins (some snakes suck at swallowing prey) so I cut them off with my fishing pliers and watched him chomp it down.
BroncStomper06
AG
We kept hearing something hit our front door late Monday night. It turned out to be this guy trying to reach a swallow's nest. The birds were dive bombing him, causing him to repeatedly fall. I am glad that I peaked out the window first. Harmless or not, I can't say that I would like to open a door immediately to that.

Daddy-O5
AG
I would've crapped my pants if I had opened my door to that.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Pop quiz:

What kind of snake is that?
Daddy-O5
AG
Cottonmouth. Burn down the house!!!
ttha_aggie_09
BroncStomper06
AG
I would default to rat snake on this one.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Good job!
magnumtmp
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Pop quiz:

What kind of snake is that?

That's an effing spider snake. Climbing a vertical walls??? Cool, but nope, nope, nope.
BroncStomper06
AZAG08
AG
I should probably get rid of the swallows nests by my door
AgShaun00
AG
i would burn the house down if that was me. I would probably die of shock before I could burn it down.
spadilly
1990AG
AG
Spider Hognose!!
DatTallArchitect
AG
Great pics!
zooguy96
I still can't believe how many OB posters are scared of a silly little rat snake.
magnumtmp
AG
zooguy96 said:

I still can't believe how many OB posters are scared of a silly little rat snake.

It would be the unexpected locale for me, referencing the picture. Once I realized it was a rat snake, I'd get control of my bowels (too late probably). My wife, on the other hand, would be packed up and gone before I could even clean my drawers.
Daddy-O5
AG
Bingo.
dave99ag
AG
magnumtmp said:

My wife, on the other hand, would be packed up and gone before I could even clean my drawers.
Match would have been lit as she was leaving too.
jbanda
AG
Nevermind. Laughed off the site...
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Forced...... Perspective
AZAG08
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Forced...... Perspective
just a little bit
jbanda
AG
The article says the weight of the frog was verified by Texas parks and wildlife at 13lbs, but the pic is still forced perspective. 13 lbs!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Verified by the same biologist that confirmed black panther sightings or mountain lions in Conroe

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.