Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,541 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
ellebee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is that a moccasin? Can't tell if there's a stripe under the eye but looks fat like one.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Water snake.
Vertical stripes under mouth, round pupils.
AggieAuditor
AG
I was thinking the same thing, but the pic of him in the water looks more like harmless water snake. Need the experts on this one.
Daddy-O5
AG
Concur with water snake.
12f Mane
AG
Correct, yellowbellied water snake
Tailgate88
AG
Thanks for the ID, I wasn't sure. It did not seem to like the pool much, hot out pretty quick. It was not aggressive at all. I shooed it off and it went into our burnpile, which is next to the lake so I imagine it is back in there now. Pretty snake.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Ran Buffalo Bayou today. At the trail right by the skate park, there was a juvenile broad banded water snake (maybe 12-14 inches long) making his way across. Really bright colors still. I sort of stopped a family on bicycles so they wouldn't run over it and shooed it off of the trail (they hadn't really started riding but were about to go). That sucker JUMPED about 6 inches into the air twice before he got into the bushes.

Funny part was when I passed the family, they looked at me like I was a little crazy. I told them to get out their phones and google a picture of a juvenile broad banded water snake (so they'd know its harmless and be positive about what they just saw). All seemed pretty excited as they rode away. Sorry no pics -- that sucker was skittish and moving fast.
MouthBQ98
AG
Cornered a 3' bull snake while mowing Saturday. He wasn't too happy to be csught in the open and coiled up, raised off the ground and went on the offensive, striking at the bottom of my shoe I was trying to use to keep him from escaping, until he got me to back up enough that he could escape into some brush. It was pretty entertaining.
Street_Cred_Norm
Just wanted to say, you guys have turned me into a snake advocate and I regularly educate people on Facebook or In person( last night) the value of snakes.
AZAG08
AG
I spotted this ribbon Saturday just before I mowed over it-- it was relocated to a bush away from my mowing path

magnumtmp
AG
AZAG08 said:

I spotted this ribbon Saturday just before I mowed over it-- it was relocated to a bush away from my mowing path

Kudos to you, you pay way more attention while mowing than I do. I'm lucky to avoid the beer cans.

Cool little snakes, bug eaters too. I love watching Martins in the evening, and I like seeing toads and small snakes. All for the same reason.
Billy Baroo
AG
What do we have here? This guy has been living in this gutter drain pipe for at least the past couple weeks. My wife first noticed him after my daughter dropped her sippy cup next to the pipe opening and he came out and "licked" it. Couldn't get him to come out any further to take a better pic unfortunately. I told her "probably a rat snake", but I don't know anything.

DJV2012
AG
I see stripes on the mouth, so i'm going with water snake. However, I'll defer to experts on which kind.
AggieAuditor
AG
Has a water snake look to it.
MathNewman06
AG
Broadbanded?
Daddy-O5
AG
My guess as well.
magnumtmp
AG
MathNewman06 said:

Broadbanded?

+1
Billy Baroo
AG
Thank guys. My wife will be happy to know we don't have to burn the house down.
magnumtmp
AG
Billy Baroo said:

Thank guys. My wife will be happy to know we don't have to burn the house down.

My wife would have burned the house down, then asked what kind of snake it was.

She REALLY doesnt like snakes.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
DJV2012 said:

I see stripes on the mouth, so i'm going with water snake. However, I'll defer to experts on which kind.

Everybody is getting good at IDing snakes! Good job people
AZAG08
AG
Spotted this trio at work. Couldn't see them well enough to get a good ID (and my work phone was all I had available to get pictures). They whipping their bodies back and forth like they were trying to wallow in the mud. They were also paying very close attention to the little bird on the edge of the water

12f Mane
AG
Likely all watersnakes. When pools are drying like that and there are a lot of fish concentrated they will use that back and forth technique to eat, usually swaying with their mouths open.
AZAG08
AG
I was thinking some type of water snake but wasn't sure. The majority of the folks in my office were buzzing with talk about the family of water moccasins though
12f Mane
AG
They all look too slender and long for a cottonmouth, IMO.
Ridge14
Some recents

https://streamable.com/vbvx2
https://streamable.com/s7p90

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Pretty cool videos!

Don't imagine the bigger guy is trying to eat the other snake but probably a dispute over food or a woman.
12f Mane
AG
That was great. Texas patchnosed snakes. Not sure if predatory or breeding. There are some snakes that the male will grab the females head like that when breeding, so it could be that. She doesn't seem to receptive.
Ag83
AG
Black variant of a coral snake?

FTAG 2000
AG
Looks like a king snake with weak banding.
Daddy-O5
AG
That's what it looks like to me. Very cool.
Aggielandma12
AG
Just saw this guy in my kids play room!! Is it Venomous? ID please

AggieStout
AG
This guy was in the neighbors yard. He came and got me and we tried to put it in a bucket to relocate to the green belt behind our houses but he got away and went into my yard and now we can't find him. End of his tail was thinner

Round rock

Daddy-O5
AG
Watersnake. I'll leave it to the experts to tell us which one.
AggieStout
AG
From previous posts. Yellow bellied water snake?
Daddy-O5
AG
Agree.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.