Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,482 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
Badace52
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Color is a lot lighter than most great basin rattlesnakes I've seen and the pattern is less defined, but I would have to defer to the experts on this one.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Kool
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I think you're right about the midget faced rattlesnake.

I was having trouble figuring out what it was (not overly familiar with all of the rattlers outside of TX) and that species bears the most resemblance. No idea if that's right but it sure does look like it.

Also, interesting note about this snake is he has hemo and neuron toxic venom (like only a few other rattlesnake species)... very dangerous.
Sounds like his wife needs to buy that desert iguana a drink - if it's still around. He said that he poked the iguana with a stick after they passed and took a photo and the iguana didn't move a muscle. Perhaps the snake had already gotten him and was waiting to eat him? For whatever reason, the snake luckily didn't make a move on her leg or else Mother's Day wouldn't have been so nice.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Kool
AG
Badace52 said:

Color is a lot lighter than most great basin rattlesnakes I've seen and the pattern is less defined, but I would have to defer to the experts on this one.
Or maybe a Grand Canyon Pink Rattlesnake? Location is St. George, Utah. Where the hell is 12fmane to help us out, down in his basement playing with his collection of cobras?
12f Mane
AG
Kool said:

My buddy, also an Ag, came across this little scene this afternoon while hiking around his crib in Utah. I am kind of surprised he got the photo, because he really isn't a snake kind of guy. He didn't stick around to see if the two played nicely or not.
P.S. You can see his wife's footprints. She stepped between the two, didn't see them, then freaked out when he pointed them out to her.

It's a sidewinder (note the "horns" over the eyes) that has bitten and probably subsequently stalked a leopard lizard. ****ing awesome.
Kool
AG
Thanks, Mr. Mane. Sorry to pull you away from playing with your pets.
12f Mane
AG
Currently laying on my son's floor, trying to get him to sleep. No worries.
12f Mane
AG
Where in Utah? They have a pretty restricted range there.
Kool
AG
St George
12f Mane
AG
Makes sense
Badace52
AG
Sidewinder huh... for some reason I thought they had black and white banding near their rattle.
12f Mane
AG
I think that's true for some of their range but not all
Badace52
AG
I can see now on my home computer that is a leopard lizard. They look a lot different in Utah. When I've seen them in the past they always had whitish stripes across the back mixed with the spots.
OnlyForNow
AG
And the lizard is defintely high or dead.
Badace52
AG
Well d*mn, never would have guessed sidewinder, didn't even know they lived in Utah.
ursusguy
AG
I could see the horns, so pretty well had it figured out. But the range is so limited I wasn't betting on it. Cool photo.
Kool
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Utah, not Colorado.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Kool said:

OnlyForNow said:

Utah, not Colorado.

Ah, so Mormon. Got it.
Kool
AG
Gota De Limon said:

Kool said:

OnlyForNow said:

Utah, not Colorado.

Ah, so Mormon. Got it.

Exactly. I don't know if the Mormons have started proselytizing to lizards or not, but you would think they would be easy targets for it. No way for them to go inside the house and turn off all the lights and make it look like they're not home once they see them coming down the street on their bicycles.
thaed137
AG
Had a good encounter this weekend. Going into a fishing shed we have by the lake we found a rat snake stuck in our minnow trap. It had worked a pretty good cut along its side trying to push itself out a tiny part of the grate. It was made more complicated by a red wasp nest inside the trap right above him but convinced my buddy that we should work to help him out as he would keep rodents and stuff down which he has had issues with. Some needle nose pliers on the trap with a fishing net to keep his head pinned let us get the wires around him loose enough. Unfortunately he then pulled himself back inside the trap instead of coming out. Ended up going back up to buddy's house to get wasp spray and then pulled the cage out and pried open a hole and he ran off to a tree to recover I would assume. Hope he makes it, was a nice ~3-4 feet in size.
trip98
AG
Wife wanted to take kiddo to the zoo yesterday here in Houston....great snake exhibit as always. Just so happened to be able to take this picture.....I'll call it double kill it with fire!!

Of course, right after we walked up we saw the CH slither over and on to the Rattler. My 7 year old said "oh look he's going over there so they can try to stay warm"......I'm no snake expert (can ID them easily thanks to this thread!!) but it didn't take long for my wife and I to realize the CH true intentions!!!

http://imgur.com/4au9iP7
TheVarian
AG
trip98
AG
thanks for posting the pic. that's the 2nd time that's happened.....how did you post the pic?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Pretty cool!

I believe the new, proper term is "Double Nope-Rope"
TheVarian
AG
Just add a .jpg
trip98
AG
TheVarian said:

Just add a .jpg
so I have it saved on desktop as .jpg and that's what I uploaded to imgur

how do you "add a .jpg"?
TheVarian
AG
Sorry, poor explanation on my end. I just took your HTML link and added the .jpg at the end of it
SabineAg
AG
Got this picture from a friend, what do y'all think it is?

I can't ever manage to upload my own pictures to this site on mobile. Here's the link: https://m.imgur.com/wYld1xb?r
magnumtmp
AG
For Paloma:

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Juvenile Moccasin
SabineAg
AG
Thanks! That's what I thought but I wasn't positive, told him the OB would tell us the right answer
ttha_aggie_09
AG
No problem! Pattern and yellow tail are dead giveaways
GiggityGoo13
AG
This was at my brother-in-laws. Anyone help with identifying?

OnlyForNow
AG
Rat snake
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Your BIL needs to stop being a little girl and afraid of 12" harmless snakes. His rodent populations thanks him.

/half kidding
GiggityGoo13
AG
Thanks for the quick response.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.