Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,481 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
Badace52
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With what/whom?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cheeky
AG
Sean98 said:

Western Rat
Badace52
AG
No he's right. It is a western rat snake. A lot of people would call one that dark a black rat snake, but it's just a subspecies of the western rat snake species.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
AG
What did you think it was?
4stringAg
AG
1990AG said:

Badace52 said:

Copperheads are live bearers so if there are little ones they are alive and kicking down there. If you know where the entrance is, you could try our TexAgs tried and true minnow trap technique for relocation. Doesn't need to be baited, but it should be shaded.
it is literally touching the driveway. BQ uses the minnow trap with much success along a wall. I dont think that will work on this
Scoop up some fire ants and put them down the hole...
1990AG
AG
4stringAg said:

1990AG said:

Badace52 said:

Copperheads are live bearers so if there are little ones they are alive and kicking down there. If you know where the entrance is, you could try our TexAgs tried and true minnow trap technique for relocation. Doesn't need to be baited, but it should be shaded.
it is literally touching the driveway. BQ uses the minnow trap with much success along a wall. I dont think that will work on this
Scoop up some fire ants and put them down the hole...
Snake whisperer came to the house this AM, inspected the hole and surrounding area and assured us that there was no nest there.

we'll be keeping a lookout though!
TheVarian
AG
Stick your hand in there to be sure. You never know with those rascals
EFE
AG
12f Mane said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

So as I understand it Indigos do not kill rattlesnake via constriction, how do they kill them?

Really strong jaws and wicked teeth. I'll post about it soon.

Is it soon yet?
12f Mane
AG
Got a little busy. Basically they grab the head of whatever snake they are trying to eat and thrash it and crush it. They have really strong jaws and long, stout teeth, and as far as I know don't constrict. A few years ago I found this 5' indigo eating a 4' diamondback. While we were watching it from a distance it got spooked and unfortunately regurgitated the diamondback. Fortunately though, we were able to view the head of the rattlesnake which was in shreds.

EFE
AG
That's metal AF
Qfaced~ag
AG
Not sure you could do more damage sticking that diamondbacks head in a paper shredder.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Serious Lee
indigos are my new favorite snake
ellebee
GUYS GUYS GUYYYYYS LOOK WHAT I FOUND IN MY GARAGE!!! I no longer need a snake to kill the mice bc it was actually a snake!!

I FINALLY FOUND ONE!!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Is that his head in the first pic? Or is it a toad?

Would make sense if it's a toad and then him chasing after him.
ellebee
It's his head. Some plastic fell in the space between the floor and the wall and it was rustling. I shined the flashlight and at first thought it was a toad, but then I saw the tongue. I have seen toads down there though.
ellebee
I also was so excited that I didn't check to see what kind before I stuck my hand close to the opening to take a pic. I looked at the pic and was like "whew... that was dumb"
SabineAg
AG

What is this creature? Taken on our job site in Central Ohio. Northern Water Snake? (Picture taken by female - hence caption)

Also saw a rattler (guessing timber) up here a couple of days ago. Temp was down for a couple days and just shot back up so I guess they're trying to heat up.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Not real familiar with snakes of Ohio but Northern Water snake would be my first guess.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

That's metal AF

1990AG
AG
TheVarian said:

Stick your hand in there to be sure. You never know with those rascals
PASS
Badace52
AG
Nice checkered garter. Looks very healthy.
Badace52
AG
Agree with ttha... looks like a northern water snake to me as well.
ellebee
Badace52 said:

Nice checkered garter. Looks very healthy.

oneeyedag
Big Timber/Canebrake Rattler going for a little sun and surf.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ocracoke/permalink/10155094243847104/

https://video-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-2/21716257_216958495506650_8116995578165985280_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjc5MywicmxhIjoxNjM4LCJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6InN2ZV9zZCJ9&oh=04e14d344ddb6eaccb6a42728a7af603&oe=59C12831
Oruc Reis
AG
I saw a beautiful garter snake at the Dallas Arboretum last weekend. I tried to snap a pic but wasn't quick enough. Looking at pictures, I feel like it was a checkered but maybe it was a common based on range. It was fairly light with noticeable checkering and pronounced yellow lateral lines and orange top line.
12f Mane
AG
Oruc Reis said:

I saw a beautiful garter snake at the Dallas Arboretum last weekend. I tried to snap a pic but wasn't quick enough. Looking at pictures, I feel like it was a checkered but maybe it was a common based on range. It was fairly light with noticeable checkering and pronounced yellow lateral lines and orange top line.
No checkereds up there but the Arboretum and wooded places along that lake seem to have a decent population of Texas garter snakes, an increasingly rare snake. If it had a checkered pattern that would be my guess.
Qfaced~ag
AG
Found this little fella a couple of hours ago. La Porte, TX. Ribbon snake?

Hobbes01
AG
Saw a coral snake in the neighborhood on my Saturday morning run. The third one I've seen in the neighborhood over the past 14 years (western Travis County). Thinking of this thread, I yanked out my phone to get a pic as it was moving steadily towards some thick bushes. As I stepped off the road to get a better angle it spooked and sped up until it was under cover. Sorry for my fail. If not for this thread though and the descriptions of coral's behavior, I would never had even tried to move closer to it assuming all venomous snakes are unmerciful killers!
AZAG08
AG
Hobbes01 said:

Saw a coral snake in the neighborhood on my Saturday morning run. The third one I've seen in the neighborhood over the past 14 years (western Travis County). Thinking of this thread, I yanked out my phone to get a pic as it was moving steadily towards some thick bushes. As I stepped off the road to get a better angle it spooked and sped up until it was under cover. Sorry for my fail. If not for this thread though and the descriptions of coral's behavior, I would never had even tried to move closer to it assuming all venomous snakes are unmerciful killers!

Sounds like you are lucky to be alive!
mazzag
AG
SIAP, it's from 2014.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/snake-eats-crocodile-after-epic-fight-in-queensland-20140303-33xz8.html
12f Mane
AG
Few recent snakes from South Texas

Coachwhip

Racer
Qfaced~ag
AG
You sir, are a master at snake charming and getting them to sit still for pictures. Seems like I'm always trying to chase them down and get horrible pictures.

P.S. was I correct in my identification of the snake a couple of posts up (ribbon snake)?
12f Mane
AG
Gracias. Yes, correct.
SabineAg
AG

Taken from a friend's Snapchat. Pretty confident it's just a harmless rat snake right???

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.