Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,512 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
JaneDoe02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nah. But we'd have some work to do.
MPD280
Probably not doing this right, but I have been following this thread and thought you guys would be interested to see this..

https://www.facebook.com/Wade6104/posts/10208238484073681
12f Mane
mrsbeer05
AG
Video is too grainy for me but is that a copperhead? And why would you let your dogs try to take it down? I wouldn't want to risk them getting bitten.
AgEng06
AG
I don't expect this will go quite the way you had hoped...
SoulSlaveAG2005
Your Friend
Def a copperhead.
Texmid
AG
That first dog was definitely tagged. It looks like all three probably were but the first one was for sure.
MPD280
For the record, that just popped up on my page. I don't know that person, just something being shared by other people. I would never encourage my dogs to engage a copperhead or any snake for that matter.

ETA- I am fully aware most everyone here wouldn't endorse this dude's actions. I don't either. I simply thought as it appears recent and snake related people would be interested in seeing it.
AggieAuditor
AG
All the hurt feelings aside, are the pups able to withstand the bites from the CH with little or no effects?

Mathguy64
AG
That's idiotic. They are dogs, not freaking Riki tiki tavi the mongoose.
SabineAg
AG
From what I know, they have the ability to withstand a bite much better than humans. Mine got tagged in the face and after spending the night at the vet and a nice bill, they said they just gave him benedryl, Pepcid and made him sleep. Fully recovered by day 3 and 1/2
JM84
Had a lab and boxer that both got hit twice a few weeks ago. Had a vet buddy give them each a steroid/penicillin combo shot. They probably would have been just fine anyway, but I didn't want to take the chance.

From what I understand, with copperheads and bigger dogs the main thing you gotta watch out for is the swelling blocking off their breathing. Obviously I'll defer to the vets who are on here though.
MouthBQ98
AG
My collie fully recovered from a bite to the nose. Swelled up big time, but ended up with only two little pink scars where the fangs went in. Biggest risk was secondary infection. There is always an adverse reaction risk though. Best to leave them alone.

Fwiw, most humans aren't much affected by copperhead bites either. Localized tissue damage and substantial swelling in the bite region.
Superdave1993
AG
We had a cocker spaniel / dachshund mix when I was a kid and she got popped once a year for about 3-4 years. She would swell up a little and then be fine within a few days. Other than getting bit every now and then she was the best "snake" dog we ever had. She would corner them and we could kill them or relocate them as needed.
Log
AG
Here's a test for y'all. Mom cornered this one last night at the farm and said it rattled at her. We don't have rattlesnakes there. Or copperheads for that matter. Managed to get the most craptastic pic ever of it as well. I'm pretty sure it is a bullsnake, due to the yellowish orange coloration and shape of the pattern, but I figured I'd give y'all a chance to ID it as well. Cooke County.
Badace52
AG
It's a texas rat snake.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
htxag09
AG
Just want to say I really like the idea of using the spoiler alert deal when ID'ing a snake in your post to give us a chance to guess!
Badace52
AG
The rattling is a common bullsnake behavior but rat snakes do it occasionally as well. That pattern is much too dark for a bullsnake.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Definitely rat snake.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Holy Grail of Snake Activity, Snake on Snake violence...

Olympia Hills Golf Course, Selma

My time here tells me to guess rough earth snake as the lunch special.

Badace52
AG
This is awesome! Thanks for sharing.
ellebee
MouthBQ should make a fighting pit for his copperheads
Brush Country
My dads quail hunting buddys lab took one on the nose from a big western diamondback last quail season. They had him at the vet within an hour and he's fine but he has some gnarly cool ass scars. They are each about an inch long. Maybe that's where the vet cut him to drain it, I dunno. I'll try to get y'all pics sometime.
MouthBQ98
AG
Don't give me ideas.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG

Washington on the brazos patk
Ol Jock 99
AG
Yeah, I got nothing.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Great picture! Probably after that grasshopper
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Yeah, I got nothing.

It's just the tip
Mathguy64
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Yeah, I got nothing.
Don't feel bad. I saw 3 snipers before finding the snake.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Got him now.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
He's right there in plain sight. Right next to that blade of grass.
12f Mane
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Washington on the brazos patk
Ribbon snake. Great shot!
12f Mane
AG
You can probably see 25% of that snake.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Here's anothe r pic of him.

He right next to the tree, just before the sniper.

I actually had to chase the little bugger around the tree about 5 times to get the shot of him just looking out the grass.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.