Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,458 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TheVarian said:

Do they train you to milk and handle snakes in SOF course?
ARE YOU DARING TO QUESTION THE TROOP?!?!

(and the billion dollar industry that accompanies anything with a SOF tag)
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
P.U.T.U said:

Friend who is 18D qualified sniper said they were taught how to handle snakes. No idea about milking.

Pretty sure you're friend is qualified in bull****ting too and he got you right between the eyes.
My Dad Earl
AG
SIAP

creativepart
I started a new thread in the Outdoor forum about this snake in our yard - the folks there said to repost here. So, that's what I'm doing. I'm not trying to crosspost in multiple threads. But here's my original post.

I'm not an Aggie, but my daughter is Class of 2009 and my wife is Class of 1982 and my Father-in-Law is Class of 1955 so I hope it's OK to post a question here.

We live just north of San Antonio and have seen a very large snake in our yard and right next door twice in the past 2-months. We've yet to get a great look at it's head, but do have a decent photo of it's body.

The neighborhood debate is whether or not it's a Cottonmouth or an Eastern Hognose snake. Any Herpetologists around here that can tell just from this photo? We're worried about kids, pets and frankly, ourselves. Our neighborhood is 2 acre lots with plenty of undeveloped land that used to be all ranch land.

Here's the photo:

https://www.geartalknet.com/images/snake.jpg

Thanks to all that can help out.
AgEng06
AG
I'm not one of the "snake guys" on this thread, but that looks like a cottonmouth to me.

Awaiting positive ID...
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Consensus on the previous thread was hognose.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2860685
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
ol_army12 said:

SIAP

Seriously dude?
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Heck every single one of the covered up foxholes at the ranges was a breeding ground for snakes.

"Sir, with all due respect don't **** with the wildlife!"
12f Mane
AG
P.U.T.U said:

Kennedy is special forces sniper trained so he knows how to handle snakes

No offense, and I'm late to the party, but this is ****ing dumb.
12f Mane
AG
ol_army12 said:

SIAP

Can this be the last time this dumbass video is posted?
12f Mane
AG
creativepart said:

I started a new thread in the Outdoor forum about this snake in our yard - the folks there said to repost here. So, that's what I'm doing. I'm not trying to crosspost in multiple threads. But here's my original post.

I'm not an Aggie, but my daughter is Class of 2009 and my wife is Class of 1982 and my Father-in-Law is Class of 1955 so I hope it's OK to post a question here.

We live just north of San Antonio and have seen a very large snake in our yard and right next door twice in the past 2-months. We've yet to get a great look at it's head, but do have a decent photo of it's body.

The neighborhood debate is whether or not it's a Cottonmouth or an Eastern Hognose snake. Any Herpetologists around here that can tell just from this photo? We're worried about kids, pets and frankly, ourselves. Our neighborhood is 2 acre lots with plenty of undeveloped land that used to be all ranch land.

Here's the photo:

Thanks to all that can help out.

Harmless blotched watersnake

*edit to say that it may very well be a hognose with a pattern I've not yet seen. Legit tough one. Either way, nonvenomous snake.
AgEng06
AG
Well, I knew I'd be wrong.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
I think it's the lack of a yellow tail and not the dramatic change from a wide body to a skinny tail. Not 100% on that. The one on the previous page with the 3 pictures that last one had me confused but looks like the one you responded to.

This one.
SteveBott
AG
That cats face. It's a "I want to mess with this but not sure that's a good idea@.
12f Mane
AG
bh93 said:

I think it's the lack of a yellow tail and not the dramatic change from a wide body to a skinny tail. Not 100% on that. The one on the previous page with the 3 pictures that last one had me confused but looks like the one you responded to.

This one.
This is definitely a blotched watersnake
Serious Lee
i know the special forces in vietnam were trained with how to deal with snakes. one of my dads best friends woke up to a krait crawling up his pants leg. waited till the time was right and slayed it with his Kabar. they literally ate his ass for breakfast.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I would thInk that when forces are engaged in combat in a particular region, relevant threats would be brought up.

I have a hard time thinking special forces spends weeks preparing on how to handle every hypothetical dangerous animal encounter...

Day 1 - Snake
Day 2 - Crocodile/Alligator escape
Day 3 - How to engage and descalate a bear
Day 4 - How to fight off a puma
Day 5 - Avoiding trampling by a herd of elephants
Day 6 - how to deal with a grouchy hippo
Serious Lee
im certainly not claiming they have that extensive training, but how many theatres of war involved that many different threats from wildlife (that werent even insects or arachnids)?
ursusguy
AG
My dad was Special Forces in Vietnam, and was "trained" to deal/handle snake. The methodology was very old school, and not considered safe.

The scout leader that got bit at Constantin several years ago did so after literally pushing a staff member I trained out of the way, and saying "I know how to do this, I taught people how to do it in the Army". He refused to put the snake in the trashcan for tranport, and insisted on doing an impromptu lesson on snakes for the boys. He had done the old school grab the snake completely around the base, with the thumb on the back of the head. As the scouts watched, the snake started trying to open its mouth, which he pointed out. As he pointed out the right fang that was sticking out, it sunk the left fang into his finger. Great training for the boys.

I know how to handle hot snakes, but I will not handle hot snakes without equipment if there is no particular reason to do so.
BohunkAg
AG
Dammit, the kid died. It was his twin brother. Really sad.

http://wtaw.com/2017/06/15/14-year-old-southeast-texas-boy-accidentally-shoots-twin-brother-death/
SabineAg
AG
T&Pfor the kid, going to be tough to live with that. Put a damper on my day pretty quickly...
MemphisAg1
carpe vinum
AG
ursusguy said:

My dad was Special Forces in Vietnam, and was "trained" to deal/handle snake. The methodology was very old school, and not considered safe.

The scout leader that got bit at Constantin several years ago did so after literally pushing a staff member I trained out of the way, and saying "I know how to do this, I taught people how to do it in the Army". He refused to put the snake in the trashcan for tranport, and insisted on doing an impromptu lesson on snakes for the boys. He had done the old school grab the snake completely around the base, with the thumb on the back of the head. As the scouts watched, the snake started trying to open its mouth, which he pointed out. As he pointed out the right fang that was sticking out, it sunk the left fang into his finger. Great training for the boys.

I know how to handle hot snakes, but I will not handle hot snakes without equipment if there is no particular reason to do so.
My GrandDad was a WWII instructor at Polk. He taught me to shoot, hunt, catch snakes, etc... with, I suspect, even older school methods. Knock wood, I've never been bitten by a venomous snake. I have been bitten by non-venomous snakes later in life when I let my guard down around them.

I was terrible at IDing snakes in my youth so I treated them all as "hot" when messing with them.
As I learned to ID I relaxed around the nons, that's when I would catch a few teeth.
1990AG
AG
thankfully, I've never been bitten by either.

What is protocol for a non-venomous bite?
carpe vinum
AG
soap and water
magnumtmp
AG
1990AG said:

thankfully, I've never been bitten by either.

What is protocol for a non-venomous bite?

Rub some dirt on it.
magnumtmp
AG
BohunkAg said:

Dammit, the kid died. It was his twin brother. Really sad.

http://wtaw.com/2017/06/15/14-year-old-southeast-texas-boy-accidentally-shoots-twin-brother-death/

Man, that's going to be tough to deal with, especially for the brother. This kind of stuff is why we have helicopter parents, something I fight everyday. I try to let my kids learn on their own but still keep them from the really dumb stuff.....the line is not always clear.

Thoughts and prayers for the family.
thirty-two
AG
Man shoots massive python in head to save herd of goats
Bassmaster
AG
My high school biology teacher had a rat snake in an aquarium in his class. He would take it out occasionally. One day, he let one of my buddies take it out and as soon as he reached in to grab him, it bit my buddy....in the face! Protocol back then was to point at him and laugh.
TheVarian
AG
zooguy96
Bassmaster said:

My high school biology teacher had a rat snake in an aquarium in his class. He would take it out occasionally. One day, he let one of my buddies take it out and as soon as he reached in to grab him, it bit my buddy....in the face! Protocol back then was to point at him and laugh.
Yeah, that's what I would have done. LOL.

I'm a Biology teacher. I'm considering taking some of my snakes to my classroom. But, then, I don't really trust some of my students, so I probably won't.

When I take them to work, I definitely don't let any of the kids touch them anywhere near the head. That way, if they bite someone, they bite me.
ursusguy
AG
It's old and been posted before, but since snakes in biology classrooms came up. Enjoy

http://m.kltv.com/kltv/pm_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=od:Ias0OYeG
Ol Jock 99
AG
FLORIDA MAN!
Stive
AG

Blotched or yellow belly water snake?
carpe vinum
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.