Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,379 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Drymarchon melanurus erebennus, is a subspecies of the Eastern indigo snake. It is listed as threatened in Texas and cannot be hunted or killed. It is found in southern Texas and Mexico. They are large snakes, adult males are over 7 feet long. The indigo snake eats a variety of small animals, including other snakes. It is immune to the venom of the rattlesnakes.
SteveBott
AG
This has been posted before but still cool

Daddy-O5
AG
What's the general temperament of an Indigo's? I've never had any interaction with them.
Stive
AG
Might be the prettiest snakes I've ever seen.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
So as I understand it Indigos do not kill rattlesnake via constriction, how do they kill them?
AggiePetro07
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Better not kill it! Protected Species

I wouldn't think of it! In any case, not my pic, from a friend.
EFE
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

What's the general temperament of an Indigo's? I've never had any interaction with them.

They know they are badasses once they get over about 5ft. I run across a few of those that are that size pretty regularly in the groves. We have a big bish that hangs out near the groves at our farm HQ that is camera shy, but will let you get within 20ft of it before raising up its head to bluff/let you know you're close enough. As soon as you start digging in your pockets to get a phone out it peaces out. Very cool interaction.
agcrock2005
AG
That's really cool looking. What parts of TX do they live in. I've never seen one in the wild.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I've seen them as far north as Concan
agcrock2005
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

That would explain why I've never seen one. That's about as far south in TX as I've ever been...had to google "Concan". Ha.
DifferenceMaker Ag
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I've seen them on our place in Kerr County. My favorite snake.
1990AG
AG
First...sorry no pics...

Wife ran across mom and one baby copperhead. Mom went into a hole under the driveway and wfie attempted relocation of the baby which subsequently fell off the relo device, struck at her and became disassociated with it's head.

Truly, she didnt want to kill it, but I'm fishing in LA and she tried...

Big question...

What to do with the snake nursery likely under my driveway?

Edit before someone questions. 100% juvenile copperhead, yellow tail, etc. Will post pics when i get back
agent-maroon
AG
Copperheads you say? Sounds like you need to consult MouthBQ98 on the proper use of a minnow trap.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DifferenceMaker Ag
Step 1:

Step 2:

SabineAg
AG
Step 1: Buy more insurance
Step 2: Call up fuel truck
Step 3: Empty fuel truck on property
Step 4: Profit
SabineAg
AG
You must of hit send when I hit reply...
Badace52
AG
Copperheads are live bearers so if there are little ones they are alive and kicking down there. If you know where the entrance is, you could try our TexAgs tried and true minnow trap technique for relocation. Doesn't need to be baited, but it should be shaded.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
1990AG
AG
Badace52 said:

Copperheads are live bearers so if there are little ones they are alive and kicking down there. If you know where the entrance is, you could try our TexAgs tried and true minnow trap technique for relocation. Doesn't need to be baited, but it should be shaded.
it is literally touching the driveway. BQ uses the minnow trap with much success along a wall. I dont think that will work on this
SteveBott
AG
BQ uses his along his fence lines. It would work. Put it right next to the entrance.

If not? Fire is an option
Badace52
AG
SteveBott said:

BQ uses his along his fence lines. It would work. Put it right next to the entrance.

If not? Fire is an option

This...
12f Mane
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Quote:

Drymarchon melanurus erebennus, is a subspecies of the Eastern indigo snake. It is listed as threatened in Texas and cannot be hunted or killed. It is found in southern Texas and Mexico. They are large snakes, adult males are over 7 feet long. The indigo snake eats a variety of small animals, including other snakes. It is immune to the venom of the rattlesnakes.

Getting caught up. Not a subspecies and not sexually dimorphic, but otherwise correct
12f Mane
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

As docile snakes get. Adults will almost never bite.
12f Mane
AG
agcrock2005 said:

That's really cool looking. What parts of TX do they live in. I've never seen one in the wild.

Everything south of Del Rio - Frio and Canyons area - south of SA (not present in the city anymore) - Kenedy - Victoria - Corpus
12f Mane
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

So as I understand it Indigos do not kill rattlesnake via constriction, how do they kill them?

Really strong jaws and wicked teeth. I'll post about it soon.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Just a quick copy and paste. I didn't think there was a difference but good to know.
ursusguy
AG
Saw one near Sinton years ago.
Badace52
AG

Found this little guy cleaning out the camphouse. It had one of the worst dispositions I've ever seen in this species. Tried to bite me constantly and was rattling its tail the whole time. Caught him and put him outside.
Your Friend
Western rat
Badace52
AG
I prefer Texas rat snake, but lately western rat snake is probably the more commonly used.
Serious Lee
i called them chicken snakes for 20+ years. didnt know it was a rat snake til i joined texags.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Had an idiot co-worker proudly say they killed a copperhead and I went out and it was a rat snake. I said "if we get mice and rats that's on you."
Sean98
AG
Was overseeding some clover today and checking my pumpkins and came across a super dark rat snake. Darker than any I've seen in this place to date. Sadly I didn't have my phone on me at the time but he was very near this smaller in appearance (random photo from the internet). Maybe 36-40" in length. Good sized snake.

Good to know someone is in mouse patrol
hillcountryag86
AG
Blotched Water?
Sean98
AG
Western Rat
cheeky
AG
Do not concur

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.