Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,508 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
Tursiops93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I agree and I believe it was killed. I haven't talked to the neighbor yet, but it looks like it in the pic.
carpe vinum
AG
Snakes are appreciated around here, but venomous have to go.
Too many pets, and carpe milkum could pay a terrible price.
I used to relocate when convenient, but Ursus' comments about that being a slow death sentence has me rethinking it.
moo
AG
One hike, two rattlesnakes.

Sabino Canyon doesn't disappoint.

$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
moo said:

One hike, two rattlesnakes.

Sabino Canyon doesn't disappoint.

Gorgeous!!
carpe vinum
AG
What's that top one? Whatever it is he's eating pretty well.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
carpe vinum said:

I used to relocate when convenient, but Ursus' comments about that being a slow death sentence has me rethinking it.

I'm torn on this subject.

Agree, because of the safety of my kids and animals. They're a lot higher priority than some snake.

Disagree, because I chose to move into an area (hypothetically) where venomous snakes are present and will continue to be present. It will help peace of mind to remove that one snake but there will be others.

At the same time, by removing snakes that are caught out in the open, like the rattlesnake in question, you're eliminating snakes that are less scared of people and promoting the genes of the other snakes that are more reclusive.

At the end of the day, do what you need to place your family first. But don't let killing one snake give you a false sense of confidence that "they're all gone"...

Just my $.02
moo
AG
Pretty sure it's a Tiger Rattlesnake. They have a small head compared to its body.
Courtesy Flush
AG
I've got a shed that I recently had built over my water well. I also stored corn and protein inside. The mice found it and now it is infested. I left the door open for a few hours and this fella found it. I ran him out but I suspect he is already back in there. He had shed his skin earlier that day so his colors were really vivid.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
moo said:

Pretty sure it's a Tiger Rattlesnake. They have a small head compared to its body.

That was my guess too. I'll let someone from out west confirm though.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Just doing his job!
carpe vinum
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

carpe vinum said:

I'm torn on this subject.

Agree, because of the safety of my kids and animals. They're a lot higher priority than some snake.

Disagree, because I chose to move into an area (hypothetically) where venomous snakes are present and will continue to be present. It will help peace of mind to remove that one snake but there will be others.

At the same time, by removing snakes that are caught out in the open, like the rattlesnake in question, you're eliminating snakes that are less scared of people and promoting the genes of the other snakes that are more reclusive.

At the end of the day, do what you need to place your family first. But don't let killing one snake give you a false sense of confidence that "they're all gone"...

Just my $.02
Never seen a rattler on my little plot though apparently this area is good for diamondback and even cane breaks.
I've run into a few copperheads, one I didn't have time to fool with. Two got a ride in a bucket down the road.
Many (over the years) of water snakes, garters, rough earth, hognose, speckled kings, and a really cool milk snake for about 5 years are welcome.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Where are you located? Central Texas area?

Pretty cool to run into all those species.
carpe vinum
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Where are you located? Central Texas area?

Pretty cool to run into all those species.
Just South of Aggie Mecca.
Dr. Faustus
AG
Mom sent this to me. Chased out of a swimming pool in Cypress, TX. I can't tell water snake vs. moccasin well enough from this pic to be able to call it definitively. I'm something less than an amateur when it comes to snake ID though, so I thought I'd see what the OB says.

$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Doesn't look like a cotton mouth.
Dr. Faustus
AG
Gota De Limon said:

Doesn't look like a cotton mouth.

My first thought too. But "Dad swore it was a moccasin" according to Mom. Haven't talked to him yet to see why he thought that.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Looks like a yellow belly water snake
Daddy-O5
AG
Can just barely make out the bars on the lower jaw, water snake.
BuddysBud
AG
My vote
AgShaun00
AG
Tursiops93 said:

Neighbor took this picture yesterday. This makes me very nervous since we have a lot of kids and pets on our street. This is in Schertz, just North of San Antonio.

I live in cibolo. Not good.
BuddysBud
AG
Since I did not remember Ursus' comment about a slow death for relocated snakes, I did some quick research (using Google) and found articles about several studies that confirmed this. However, the articles that reported about the studies--not necessarily the studies themselves--suggested that relocating within 500 yards of where the snake was captured should not cause any harm. Short distance relocation risks that the snake might return to your yard (or you might see it again). Long distance relocation causes the greatest stress to the snake. Relocating to an area that is similar to its original range gives the highest chance of survival. For example relocating a rattlesnake to an area that has a high population of rattle snakes and few people would be better. If my understanding of these studies is incorrect, I will differ to he experts. Of course unless you really know how to handle snakes, relocating venomous snakes is not worth the risk to yourself.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
Friend saw this guy while mowing. I know it is non venemous, but what is it?
Daddy-O5
AG
Salt Marsh snake?
tx4guns
AG
Checkered Garter Snake
NoahAg
Quote:

How could I go about keeping one of those as a pet? What would I need to keep it in, what would they eat? I think my little man would get a kick out of that
We find these (rough earth and brown snakes) once in a while in our small suburban yard. My 11 year old has no fear about handling snakes and spiders (ironic sense he's not adventurous in most cases).

We asked an "expert" about keeping the last earth snake he found, and he advised that it would likely die pretty quickly.

So we ended up getting him a nice corn snake for his birthday. It's been pretty cool. Super easy to care for. Will try to post some feeding pics later.
Badace52
AG
BackwardsInBoots said:

Friend saw this guy while mowing. I know it is non venemous, but what is it?

There she is... jumped the gun by a couple days apparently.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggieaviator
AG
What kind of snake spider is this? Orb Weaver??

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Take your spider privilege somewhere else! This is a snake lives matter only, thread.

It does look like an orb spider though.
Tursiops93
AG
It's a rat snake
Whens lunch
AG
Tursiops93 said:

It's a rat snake
......or rat spider
Decay
AG
I was weedwhacking this weekend and a Red Stripe Ribbon appeared of nowhere right under me and my instinct now was to not hurt it thanks to these threads.

Also I have no clue how you people manage to take snake pics, he went from RIGHT THERE, I jumped backwards trying not to hit it, and in that half-second he was gone. The good news is that I don't think I hit him.
aggieaviator
AG
Decay said:

I was weedwhacking this weekend and a Red Stripe Ribbon appeared of nowhere right under me and my instinct now was to not hurt it thanks to these threads.

Also I have no clue how you people manage to take snake pics, he went from RIGHT THERE, I jumped backwards trying not to hit it, and in that half-second he was gone. The good news is that I don't think I hit him.
I'm still waiting for the selfie gone wrong pic.
Decay
AG
aggieaviator said:

Decay said:

I'm still waiting for the selfie gone wrong pic.
OMG Poisonous snake! They're dangerous! #snake #cottonmouth *falls into lake barely missing Diamondback Water Snake and drowns*
Ol Jock 99
AG
Sigh

Stive
AG
Is that water? Looks like they're crawling out of ice.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.