Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,409 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
Post removed:
by user
Scoopen Skwert
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can't. Might burn down the house. It ain't a mansion but it's mine and it contains a beer fridge I'm quite fond of.
45-70Ag
AG
After reading this entire thread, the dog is outside barking.

Not sure I want to go outside at the moment.
SteveBott
AG
I know that any snake, much less a Texas snake, I can run off with. A broom?

Seriously?

12fmane I'm I'm wrong?
12f Mane
AG
Nope
anthroAg
AG

This guy was on a trail last Sunday at Martin Dies, Jr. State Park. Unfortunately, he seemed to have lost his head shortly before my family came across him. What're we looking at here?
tx4guns
AG
Appears to be a young Timber Rattler.
12f Mane
AG
anthroAg said:

This guy was on a trail last Sunday at Martin Dies, Jr. State Park. Unfortunately, he seemed to have lost his head shortly before my family came across him. What're we looking at here?
What kind of idiot goes to a state park and then kills something?
anthroAg
AG
My thoughts exactly. My 4-year-old son was pretty confused/frustrated by this...
ursusguy
AG
They need to realize it is illegal on a couple accounts.

I officed out of Cedar Hill SP for almost 12 years. Every spring I'd have 3-5 knock knock, "hey, Inkilled this copperhead by the picnic tables". Every single one was a rat snake, except one bull snake. As stated before, there is no shortage of rattlesnakes at CHSP, and there are some big ones.
aggiesportsfiend10
AG

Also edit to add that you may not be able to tell from the pic but it's a small/juvenile snake.
12f Mane
AG
Looks like a Texas brown snake to me
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Looks like stripes down the side... brown snake is what I would say too.
aggiesportsfiend10
AG
Thanks for confirming. I was not present for the occasion but got the text after the fact. Trying to persuade others to leave harmless snakes alone is not easy.
zooguy96
I still don't see why people are so scared of snakes. They were something to be interested in when I was a kid. I certainly wasn't scared of them. I guess because my parents exposed us to a love of the natural world when we were young.

I wish more parents would do that.
thaed137
AG
If you really think about it is a combination of:

1) People grow up knowing some snakes are poisonous and can really mess your world up but don't learn how to identify combined with they are easily hid from view.

2) Movies/TV always portray snakes as the danger / something to be feared whenever they are used. I really can't think of a "good" snake in any cartoon or movie that would help children not identify snakes with danger at a young age. I mean even this guy:

was evil...
FrioAg 00
AG
1) they can kill. Not all of them, obviously, but the fact is that many can.

2) they hide. Both by camouflage and by location.

3) the perception is they can be aggressive. This is probably the most misguided part, but most people believe a snake will always strike you if you get close

4) the reputation builds upon itself within culture. The Bible, stories and movies, there are a ton of references to "snakes embody evil"

5) most people encounter them, but rarely. Enough for awareness, but not enough to get comfortable.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
*venomous

Some snakes are venomous, not poisonous. Not trying to ridicule you just pointing out for others the correct term.
SteveBott
AG
I think Frio is spot on.
12f Mane
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

1) they can kill. Not all of them, obviously, but the fact is that many can.

2) they hide. Both by camouflage and by location.

3) the perception is they can be aggressive. This is probably the most misguided part, but most people believe a snake will always strike you if you get close

4) the reputation builds upon itself within culture. The Bible, stories and movies, there are a ton of references to "snakes embody evil"

5) most people encounter them, but rarely. Enough for awareness, but not enough to get comfortable.

6) Most importantly, people are willfully and enthusiastically ignorant of nature
SteveBott
AG
Mane gotta sell sell sell. Want to win. The battle against snake? SELL your position.

THIS Thread is a small piece of the pie but at least it's a shot. Keep posting
LisaMarie
AG
Snakes/venomous are not just important to the ecosystem:

Calliophis venom for pain management
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3888416/Blue-coral-snake-south-east-Asia-powerful-venom-cure-pain-people.html

Gila monster saliva for diabetics
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/07/070709175815.htm

Copperhead venom as inspiration for cancer meds
http://www.amnh.org/explore/news-blogs/q-as/using-snake-venom-protein-to-fight-cancer/

Reptiles are awesome

SteveBott
AG
Lisa how many snakes do you have?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Slight derail but related (from an OB perspective):

Couple of studies on how whitetail deer can selectively utilize calcium and other minerals associated with bone growth, that would normally be used for antler development, is utilized for bone repair.

From what I last read, and apologies for no link... it's late and I have been drinking... lots of interest in whitetail and the key to reducing the effects of osteoporosis.

And back to reptiles, look at the Komodo dragon. Those things possess more aggressive and fatal bacteria in their saliva than any other animal yet they remain healthy. Lots of interest in how this symbiosis works and may help develop new antibiotics.

I love nature... I love hunting it... I love learning about it... I love time spent outside.
Alte Schule
Going to post this as it's snake related. If you have arachnophobia you may want to pass.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2017/2/15/14628166/redback-spider-brown-snake-attack-video-australia
OleArmyBQ68
AG
Alte Schule said:

If you have arachnophobia you may want to pass.

I do and I did. Thanks for the heads up!
FrioAg 00
AG
Dude, I think you just GAVE me arachnophobia
trip98
AG
just came across 2nd snake of 2017....first was brown snake...guided him to our bushes. This one I was pulling out a dead bush from flower bed.....dug it up with shovel to loosen up roots....grabbed dead bush and lifted up....shook off dirt from roots....and medium sized copperhead dropped down with the dirt/dead leaves!!!

I didn't even look before grabbing bush b/c I figured moving it with the shovel would have encouraged him to move.....obviously it didn't!!!

spring time weather....has them out....but not super active....be careful out there!!

no didn't kill it with fire....called my 7 year old out of the house and asked him to look around and tell me what he sees....took him a minute but he saw it. We talked about it's pattern, color, and green tip of tail......then I dispatched it with a shovel.

sorry...I'm not sorry. have a few small dogs and kiddo so not worth the risk.

and for the record, if you tell my kid there are 4 poisonous snakes in texas he will correct you!!!
ironmanag
AG
I don't kill snakes usually. But making fun of fear is bad bull.

I have an irrational fear of falling from heights.

Don't know why, always have been and it's getting worse as I get older.

Phobias are not easily broken nor should they simply be dismissed as ignorance.
Al Bula
AG
I don't think is a repost, but if so... my bad

https://instagr.am/p/BQMSgjEgfus
LisaMarie
AG
That's a non venomous water snake.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
LisaMarie said:

That's a non venomous water snake.

You wouldn't know that by reading the comments
ursusguy
AG
Seeing this in the comments sorta scares the crap out of me. Hopefully it may be used in a constructive manner.

abc13houston@texbubba holy crap! We'd love to share this. Can we use on our platforms with permission to you?
Badace52
AG
Someone who has instagram tell abc13 that snake is completely harmless and not worth warning people about...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
12f Mane
AG
ursusguy said:

Hopefully it may be used in a constructive manner.

lol

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.