Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,437 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Houston area, either Barker or Aldine Resovoirs hold a lot of snakes and are easy to access.
12f Mane
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

We need to have an OB snake search party. Get a few people together, including the "kill it with fire" folks, and have fun trying to find snakes!
I'll bring the beer
chiken
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

We need to have an OB snake search party. Get a few people together, including the "kill it with fire" folks, and have fun trying to find snakes!

I'd go to that event!!!!
Daddy-O5
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I'd be there in a heartbeat.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Sounds like a party! What's the best way to organize this?
Lex
That sounds like fun! Best way I'd think is to start a thread and see how many are interested and post a solid date and see how many bites you get. bites. Get it. Snake jokes.
Ayto Siks
Thanks and nice pics! I saw a buttermilk racer once in the woods in NW Houston. Except it was the inverse coloration...mostly shades of tan/cream with a few dark scales. Haven't seen one since.
cheeky
AG
12f Mane said:

I recognize that are the A few recent finds.

Took my daughter out last weekend and found 13 snakes (10 copperheads) during a short hike.

Spotted this intergrade buttermilk/yellowbellied racer in some privet during a survey in Tomball.

I recognize your talent, but that is not a buttermilk racer. Respectfully. Even juveniles have more pattern. Of course I'm fallible. But no
Stive
AG
Not sure when the last time someone questioned 12fmane around here regarding his snake ID'ing.
Daddy-O5
AG
You're kidding right? That's definitely a buttermilk racer.

Would be interested to know what you think it is, if not a buttermilk racer.
12f Mane
AG
Stagecoach said:

12f Mane said:

I recognize that are the A few recent finds.

Took my daughter out last weekend and found 13 snakes (10 copperheads) during a short hike.

Spotted this intergrade buttermilk/yellowbellied racer in some privet during a survey in Tomball.

I recognize your talent, but that is not a buttermilk racer. Respectfully. Even juveniles have more pattern. Of course I'm fallible. But no
That's why I put "intergrade" on there. It obviously has traits of both subspecies and is from an area where individuals showing traits of both are common. White spots = buttermilk influence, undoubtedly.
chiken
AG
Here's a GIS for buttermilk racer. It might as well be the one the guy posted for all its similarities!!

12f Mane
AG
I'd imagine he's talking about individuals like this, which fit the original subspecies description.

But it's a variable subspecies by definition.
ursusguy
AG
Cool snakes. Good explanation.
Ol Jock 99
AG

I'll identify your buttermilk snake! I'll identify it up!
Badace52
AG
12f mane is right on this one. (And all the other ones for that matter)
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgShaun00
AG
Just saw this thread. I have a huge fear of them and would not like to. I need to learn to tell the difference between harmful ones and not. I have the red/green color blindness so i can image it is hard for me to understand some details to see the difference.

I will keep following and any links to help educate me would be helpful. I am in the SA area.
Hobbes01
AG
When you have some time, go back and read through the 2016 snake thread. I have learned a ton from that single thread, and am starting to get fairly proficient at ID'ing new pictures before seeing other responses. While I don't encounter too many snakes in person, I would like to think these threads will help when those instances arise. Props to you for taking the time to learn.
BuddysBud
AG
12f Mane's first post on page 1 shows the four most common venomous snakes in Texas (Copperhead, Cottonmouth, Diamondback Rattlesnake, and Coral Snake). These are the ones that you definitely want to know. Any other snake in Texas, with the exception of the occasional escaped cobra, is not very dangerous.

The most common snakes posted seem to be Texas Rat Snakes, Hognose Snacks, Yellow Belly Water Snakes, and Diamondback Water Snakes, none of which are venomous. If you follow Hobbes01's advise to read the 2016 snake thread, you will probably be able to identify these snakes when you finish.

Being familiar with the snakes helps you appreciate them. For example, when I was fishing on a dock this past weekend, I did not panic when a diamondback water snake swam directly beneath me. The snake, however, did panic when it realized that I was standing right above it.
Badace52
AG
This thread is money for those who want to be able to proficiently identify venomous snakes in Texas. I For those who are already proficient in this regard, it also has pictures of cool snake species which are rarely seen by the majority of Texans. Even the "crazy" ones (myself included) who actually look for snakes.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Post removed:
by user
SteveBott
AG
Dude you spend 6 months a year on a boat half way, no all the way to China, you should have a one and only.
SteveBott
AG
Maybe two.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Was it the mississippi green water snake? Trying to remember.

This year has been a litttle more diverse. Although, were really close to seeing this thread get more active as the weather warms and TX cobras and climbing water moccasins take over.
SteveBott
AG
The climbing cotton mouths I fear most. Dam drainage ditch on the back side of the property. It is infested with these snakes.
Post removed:
by user
Tx-Ag2010
AG
I am still of the kill them with fire group but I have definitely appreciated all the info I've learned over the past couple years. Im not perfect but I try and only kill the venomous ones now.
BenFiasco14
AG
O_____O

Where was this first picture taken? So I know to avoid that area like the plague.
12f Mane
AG
What picture are you referring to? I'd recommend moving to Alaska.
BenFiasco14
AG
12f Mane said:

The one right under your line:

Quote:

ook my daughter out last weekend and found 13 snakes (10 copperheads) during a short hike.

Those two brown-ish ones all curled up
Icecream_Ag
S
12f Mane said:

he's probably scared of bears as well.
Qfaced~ag
AG
This past hunting season I killed a fairly large (~5 ft.) western diamondback while walking back from the stand and it only had 2 buttons. Didn't appear to be damaged or broken. Land owner told me that rattlesnakes in that area (Mason) had fewer and fewer buttons these days due to hogs.

I'm sure this has probably been addressed in one of the threads previously but wanted to see if anyone had any insight. Is this due hogs stepping on the rattles or is some kind of evolutionary defense mechanism from being trampled?
Icecream_Ag
S
Qfaced~ag said:

This past hunting season I killed a fairly large (~5 ft.) western diamondback while walking back from the stand and it only had 2 buttons. Didn't appear to be damaged or broken. Land owner told me that rattlesnakes in that area (Mason) had fewer and fewer buttons these days due to hogs.

I'm sure this has probably been addressed in one of the threads previously but wanted to see if anyone had any insight. Is this due hogs stepping on the rattles or is some kind of evolutionary defense mechanism from being trampled?
evolution. hogs will eat the snakes, so they are learning not to rattle when threatened
EFE

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.