Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,417 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
Finn Maccumhail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, it would be a timber. It's not really a habitat question for me, it's range. We're surrounded by a 4100 acre pine plantation that will eventually be developed but that's still a ways off (I've seen a fat, healthy 10pt running around the edges of this), a 300+ acre park that's got minimal improvements, another 300+ acre nature park, and a 1400 acre wetlands mitigation bank.

Look at Summerwood to the south and east and you'll see what I mean.

Anyway, the point is I didn't think timber rattlers came over here. And westerns definitely aren't here.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Here are the 2 snakes that have the hens all riled up.

12f Mane
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Anyway, the point is I didn't think timber rattlers came over here. And westerns definitely aren't here.
I don't believe there any recent records for timbers in that general area (Lake Houston) but the habitat seems to be there. They don't do well with encroachment and will be gone from Harris County very soon, I'd imagien as soon as all the non-protected green spaces are housed up.
Badace52
AG
Found this little guy while mowing just now...
Georgetown, TX

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Miniature Texas brown mamba. You're lucky to be alive man.
GinaLinetti
AG
Holy balls. That's a big ass snake.
agcrock2005
AG
You have an incredible amount of hair on your wrist.
Badace52
AG
Don't I know it...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
That's probably a 5-5.5' snake.
ursusguy
AG
I had a person knowingly bring me a 1.5', live copperhead in a ziplock baggie.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
ursusguy said:

I guess I should be shocked but I know two things for sure.

One, stupidity is almost an epidemic nowadays.

Two, if anyone would have a venomous snake brought to them in a plastic bag, it would be you.
Mathguy64
AG
ursusguy said:

You seem to collect lots of things in baggies.
ursusguy
AG
Work as a wildlife biologist over a largely urban area (call it 10 counties) for 12 years, you see lots of wildlife related stupidity.
ursusguy
AG
They are handy.
Aggieangler93
AG
Had some shredding done at the family land, where I dove hunt. Guy running the shredder hit something, it was fairly loud, and about 2 minutes later, when he clears the area, we notice this:

https://imgur.com/a/eStO2

We never found the head, but this piece of the body was about 4 feet long, and about 6-8 inches around at the widest point where it got cut by the blade. It was a fat snake for sure.

Anyone have an ID for it? Sorry the pic doesn't quite do justice to the colors. I have a few more pics I will look for.

I was guessing bull snake or water snake. Without the head, I can tell for sure it's not a copperhead, coral, king, or rattler, but that's as far as my snake knowledge goes.

Just realized I haven't tried to post pics before....there must be a tag I am missing.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
AZAG08
AG
you need the .jpg link, not just the link to the page

Aggieangler93
AG
Thanks! I think I get it now......

TEST

Badace52
AG
Diamondback water snake.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Diamondbacks Water Snake

Edit - Way behind BadAce on this one... he got it already
Aggieangler93
AG
Thanks for the ID. We found another chunk of meat off this bad boy (girl?), and it was a foot in length with no reduction in girth on either end. I am wondering how long the entire snake was? I bet he was feasting at the tank, with the amount of mice and bullfrogs we have around there.

I would bet this snake was somewhere around 7-8 feet but no way to tell...
12f Mane
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

I would bet this snake was somewhere around 7-8 feet but no way to tell...
Definitely not, but maybe close to 5'
Aggieangler93
AG
I was guessing larger, as we had 5 feet of it, without the head. I guess it would make sense that not much of the body was poking up into the shredder when the head got lopped off. Thanks for the guesstimate.
Cromagnum
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

Thanks! I think I get it now......

TEST

Fine specimen of the elusive headless nope rope.
AZAG08
AG
This was just posted on the neighborhood facebook group
"...It has markings like a moccasin"
ttha_aggie_09
AG
At least they measured it... now it's just a 3ft Cobra
AZAG08
AG
Well we are in Needville.....home of the wild cobras (or at least one from last year)
Badace52
AG
Well technically it is a moccasin, but it is not a venomous snake.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I suppose moccasin is synonymous for water snake, so true.
Serious Lee
AZAG08 said:

reminds me of my mother. "that looks like a pointed head" she says a few weeks ago while pleading with me to kill the distressed yellow belly.
BCO07
AG
Uncle Gunnysack said:

AZAG08 said:

reminds me of my mother. "that looks like a pointed head" she says a few weeks ago while pleading with me to kill the distressed yellow belly.
I do my best to not kill snakes, but eff yellow belly water snakes. They are such a-holes
ellebee
Uncle Gunnysack said:

AZAG08 said:

I used to bring my mom grass snakes and she would flip out saying it could be a baby rattler. She did spend three weeks in the hospital as a kid after getting bit by a baby rattler. That made it more entertaining.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I suppose moccasin is synonymous for water snake, so true.

Maybe I'm ignorant but I've never heard or thought of moccasin as being synonymous with water snake. It was always synonymous with cottonmouth. Water snakes were water snakes be they diamond-backed, broad banded, etc but water moccasins were never anything but synonymous with cottonmouths.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Didn't mean this comment literally. Was just referring to the fact that most water snakes are labeled as moccasins nowadays.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Didn't mean this comment literally. Was just referring to the fact that most water snakes are labeled as moccasins nowadays.

Gotcha. I misunderstood your point but you're definitely correct that a vast number of dumbasses out there automatically assume every snake in the water is a deadly, poisonous*, highly aggressive moccasin.

*purposely used poisonous instead of the correct venomous.
jgh85Ag
AG
Here

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.