Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,454 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
Qfaced~ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gotcha...but if they are changing their behavior why the change in the number of rattles? Seems to me that if they aren't going to rattle anymore, it wouldn't matter how many rattles they had...
Icecream_Ag
S
no idea
Qfaced~ag
AG
Paging 12f Mane
Stive
AG
Pretty sure this has been chalked up to myth, but I'll let the experts handle it.
Badace52
ttha_aggie_09
AG
No
Badace52
AG
Common myth about the hogs. I'll let 12f explain he could do it better, but different behaviors in animals are threat specific. For instance the blood from horned lizard eyes defense is primarily in response to canine threats.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
False

Rattlesnakes rarely rattle to begin with and he hog population has nothing to do with the fact that people see rattlesnakes without hearing them rattle. They don't just rattle if you walk by. As soon as they sound that alarm, they give away an important component of their defense... camouflage.

So oftentimes people walk right past them and are on none the wiser because they don't see them and the one time they do, they associate it with feral hogs.

Complete and total BS
Qfaced~ag
AG
I guess my question was more directed to lack of rattles, not necessarily the act of rattling itself.
Icecream_Ag
S
so why would they not rattle when provoked?
LisaMarie
AG
Rattles are fairly fragile and break easily. Just because you see a large snake with just a couple doesn't mean anything.
Whens lunch
AG
LisaMarie said:

Rattles are fairly fragile and break easily. Just because you see a large snake with just a couple doesn't mean anything.
So there you have it. Size, in fact, does not matter.

OK, in this particular case, it doesn't mean anything,
12f Mane
AG
Looks like that got cleared up. I will add though that a 5ft rattlesnake is huge, like top 10%, for the species.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
A lot of different reasons. Some think they're still hidden, temperature can influence behavior (colder - lethargy), etc.

This guy was cornered and stuck in an old oil container and didn't rattle until he had a pipe shoved through his head, despite me picking up the jug and moving it around with him stuck in it. This was near the coast in an area with zero wild hogs.

Shilo
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

A lot of different reasons. Some think they're still hidden, temperature can influence behavior (colder - lethargy), etc.

This guy was cornered and stuck in an old oil container and didn't rattle until he had a pipe shoved through his head, despite me picking up the jug and moving it around with him stuck in it. This was near the coast in an area with zero wild hogs.

I didn't realize we still had areas with zero wild hogs.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Right off the inter coastal in Palacios.
ursusguy
AG
Might want to avoid the DFW area. Copperheads are easy to find (lots along White Rock Creek). Cedar Hill SP has lots of very large rattlesnakes if you know where to look. Anywhere along the escarpment has rattlesnakes, but most are south of I-20.
Maybe Next Year
Aggielandma12
AG
Wanted: South Florida python hunters for hire

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/article137005128.html
Quote:

On Thursday, the South Florida Water Management District will consider a proposal to hire hunters, paying them by the hour, plus a bonus for every snake killed, as part of a two-month, $175,000 pilot project. Hunters would patrol only district land in Miami-Dade County, which includes the vast water conservation area where remote tree islands offer hiding places perfectly suited for the well-camouflaged snakes.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/article137005128.html#storylink=cpy

dave99ag
AG
Almost looks like one is escaping away behind the ATV.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Looks like they shot it in the nuts OB style.
ursusguy
AG
Saw a really nice Southern copperhead yesterday. Once I figure out how to get into my photobucket account (ie get on actual computer), I'll post a picture.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Rat snake.... need pictures
carpe vinum
AG
photobucket is so 10 years ago, imgur is so much simpler.
Sean98
AG
Nice surprise this morning. Snake Bites all around!

OnlyForNow
AG
Ok, saw this guy on the way to my lease.

I know what it is do y'all?

ttha_aggie_09
AG
That's a good picture! I won't spoil it. Good one.
fightingfarmer09

Wife sent this to me.
ursusguy
AG
Broad banded water snake
fightingfarmer09
That was my thought.
ursusguy
AG

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Alright, it was a copperhead... you sort of know stuff
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Benadryl and the kiddos okay?
Badace52
AG
That is a baby cottonmouth. It is most definitely not a copperhead.

*edit* Sorry, just realized we may be talking about different things. I am referring to onlyfornow's pic.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ttha_aggie_09

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.