Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,447 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
Sean98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If that one was aimed at my photo, it's not an indigo. I live in NE Kansas. But it is a BIG Western rat snake.
ursusguy
AG
That is a nice looking snake.
12f Mane
AG
"Western"
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Sean98 said:

If that one was aimed at my photo, it's not an indigo. I live in NE Kansas. But it is a BIG Western rat snake.

It was. Lol. And wow!!!
Sean98
AG
Then what is it? That is what it seems to be.

Quote:

Pantherophis obsoletus also known as the western rat snake, Texas ratsnake, black rat snake, pilot black snake, or simply black snake is a nonvenomous species of Colubridae found in central North America. No subspecies are currently recognized.
tx4guns
AG
Thank goodness that black snake is in Kansas and not Alabama.
magnumtmp
AG
tx4guns said:

Thank goodness that black snake is in Kansas and not Alabama.

What we have here is a magnificent specimen of pure Alabama Blake snake, but It ain't too GD beaucoup.
Tursiops93
AG
12F Mane or ursusguy?? Which one of you owns this????
12f Mane
AG
The "western" thing is a new taxonomical shift which I don't necessarily agree with. I like the old designation of black ratsnake.
ccard257
AG
Tursiops93 said:

12F Mane or ursusguy?? Which one of you owns this????

Ursus would have eaten both instead of going for the mount...
12f Mane
AG
Only taxidermy I own are those sweet stuffed giant toads playing sports you could buy in Nuevo Progresso and Nuevo Laredo.
ursusguy
AG
Yeah, I'm not real big on taxidermy (ie cheap), all I have is a European mount of my elk.

But damned funny
agent-maroon
AG
Sean98 said:

A couple photos I snapped while we were turkey hunting. First photo was a big dude.

You just solved a long time mystery for me. I saw a 6' black snake crossing a road at Lake Rita Blanca (near Dalhart) something like 35 years ago and everybody told me I was mistaken and/or crazy and there weren't any snakes that big or that dark colored in the Panhandle. I had been thinking that maybe it was an Indigo but believe that this would be far too north of their reported range. The snake in this pic looks exactly like the one I remember.

Great pic. Thanks for posting!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
OnlyForNow
AG
That probably was an indigo if in dalhart.
12f Mane
AG
No, Dalhart isn't close to the range of indigos and isn't in the range of ratsnakes either. My guess would be a desert kingsnake with a reduced pattern and the snake was less than 5 feet.
agent-maroon
AG
After doing a google image search, I have to admit that it might have been a desert kingsnake. Going from memory here, but I do recall that it wasn't so much a shiny black color as it was a slightly greyish kind of black. And it might have had some pattern to it but it was subtle. Maybe it was about to shed it's skin?

But I'm sticking to the 6' length part of my story. That was a big snake...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
oneeyedag
This monster hanging out in our shed.

JD Shellnut
AG
Just did a Google search for rat snake. Hard to believe one species can look so different color and pattern wise.
Hachieaggie10
AG
Just found this little guy in my garden while working. Lucky fellow that he isn't chopped in half. Just dug out 3 big bushes and then chopped up the whole area before planting. Not big at all maybe 6 inches still caught me off guard was on my hands and knees inches from it when I saw it.

Any idea what he is? Never seen anything like him.

Edit to add I'm in Dallas/Grand Prairie 3 minutes from Joe Pool Lake. And fighting with the dang image...

agent-maroon
AG
Rough earth snake.
Log
AG
Hachieaggie10 said:

Just found this little guy in my garden while working. Lucky fellow that he isn't chopped in half. Just dug out 3 big bushes and then chopped up the whole area before planting. Not big at all maybe 6 inches still caught me off guard was on my hands and knees inches from it when I saw it.

Any idea what he is? Never seen anything like him.

Edit to add I'm in Dallas/Grand Prairie 3 minutes from Joe Pool Lake. And fighting with the dang image...

Same thing I posted pics of a couple days ago.
carpe vinum
AG
What's with the fat body and skinny tail? Did it just recently start eating well so the fat hasn't made it's way down? Something about this one seems odd.
Cuterebra
AG
She is gravid.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
If you watch naked and afraid, they were in the Atchafalaya swamp and they killed a "copperhead" and ate it.... it was a juvenile water moccasin.
Courtesy Flush
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

If you watch naked and afraid, they were in the Atchafalaya swamp and they killed a "copperhead" and ate it.... it was a juvenile water moccasin.
Naked and afraid? Really? You have a pretty cool schtick going on here with your snake knowledge. Don't ruin it!!
FlyFisher99
AG
Found this little guy in the pool over the weekend. No idea what it is.

Missouri City area.

[img] [/img][img] [/img][img] [/img]
JM84
Looks like a checkered garter.
12f Mane
AG
Texas brown snake
AZAG08
AG

A buddy just sent me this. It was spotted on a golf course in Port A
Kingsnake?
OnlyForNow
AG
Speckled kingsnake.

A very good one!
Daddy-O5
AG
Beautiful snakes.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Awesome snake!

Oh, and thanks for the location posting by everyone recently! Helps out a lot.
AgEng06
AG
No pic, but found a red striped ribbon snake in my front yard yesterday. He was probably 2' long. He went back under my rosemary bush before I could snap a pic so I just left him alone.
tx4guns
AG
Our neighbors posted a fuzzy picture a few weeks ago of a snake with a red head and black colored body. Any idea what it could be? League City area.
12f Mane
AG
Doesn't really fit the description of anything but probably ratsnake

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.