Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,443 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
OnlyForNow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
a lot of us wouldn't say "yeah kill the cottonmouth" either though.
Fleff
AG
I know y'all wouldn't, but you also know that most random suburban people are going to kill most snakes, and at the very least the venomous ones.

If this guy could identity them correctly, I think he would let the non-venomous ones go, but he is going to tell you that with little kids, the others are dead.

I am trying to help educate him on how to identify, as well as myself.
VaultingChemist
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

VaultingChemist said:

It moves somewhat differently from your typical rattlesnake in that it has a frantic, fast crawling motion when fleeing. It is usually much more prone to strike if provoked.....about three times as frequently as a diamondback, which is why I think they are more dangerous than the diamondback.
The old timers called them prairie ground rattlers.
Thats what I've always called them or just " ground rattlers".
But then again there is that " old timers" thing.....
Nobody around west Texas calls them massasauga. I doubt very many would even know what you were talking about. By the way, I don't kill any snakes unless it is venomous and it wanders into my house or yard.
BohunkAg
AG
My buddy that lives 1/2 mile from me killed one of these on his back porch.

Hope it doesn't bother some of you.
Spotted Ag
AG
BohunkAg said:

My buddy that lives 1/2 mile from me killed one of these on his back porch.

Hope it doesn't bother some of you.
Poor rat snake
JD Shellnut
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

VaultingChemist said:

It moves somewhat differently from your typical rattlesnake in that it has a frantic, fast crawling motion when fleeing. It is usually much more prone to strike if provoked.....about three times as frequently as a diamondback, which is why I think they are more dangerous than the diamondback.
The old timers called them prairie ground rattlers.
Thats what I've always called them or just " ground rattlers".
But then again there is that " old timers" thing.....

Ground rattler is also what a lot of people in east Texas call the pygmy rattlesnake (Sistrurus miliarius).
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Pythons are outside too...

7 meter python kills & eats man in Indonesia
Brush Country
Finn Maccumhail said:

Pythons are outside too...

7 meter python kills & eats man in Indonesia

Welp. You don't see that often.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yikes! That's a big reticulated Python... those are some mean SOBs too.
SteveBott
AG
Pretty sure that is Fake News. I remember seeing that 7-10 years ago on the internet. Pretty sure it was real at the time.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
SteveBott said:

Pretty sure that is Fake News. I remember seeing that 7-10 years ago on the internet. Pretty sure it was real at the time.

I thought so too but this is pretty widely reported, well documented, and not fake.

It's also not the first occurrence.
Serious Lee
ive always wondered how often that happens in tribal regions in asia and the amazon where it would never make the news.
ZEEB
AG
Madaman
aggieZephyr said:

thats a big pile of nope right there

Decay
AG
That thing is massive!
Stive
AG
Decay said:

That thing is massive!

That's what she........

Oh never mind.
AggieJames09
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BR1xGx_jNfO
12f Mane
Tursiops93
AG
This was posted on a neighbor hood website as a "Baby Cottonmouth." I am sure it is not, but not sure what it is. Some insight if you please and what tells you it's ID?
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Not sure what it is but it's non venemous.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Common grass snake is (one of) the unscientific name. Definitely not a "baby cottonmouth".

Fun story....as a wee lad of 5-6 years of age, I dug a coffee can worth of them out of our compost pile and tried to sell them door-to-door. Shockingly, I had few takers.
LisaMarie
AG
Dang. Beautiful animal. A shame.
ursusguy
AG
I do miss my old office in Cedar Hill SP this time of year. By now, I would usually find 2-3 rattlers near the office (or one year IN the office). I make up for it now with copperheads. I'm on #8 for spring on the copperheads.
12f Mane
AG
Public service announcement = not every small snake is a baby. We have multiple species that are adults by the time they hit 6 inches.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
12f Mane said:

Public service announcement = not every small snake is a baby. We have multiple species that are adults by the time they hit 6 inches.

The one eyed snake is a prime example...
Tursiops93
AG
I thought maybe grass snake, but I also thought it may be a legless lizard due to the shape of the head. Thanks!
carpe vinum
AG
Fairly old, but I do not recall seeing it here.

This is what happens when a python eats a porcupine.

Stive
AG
They're now putting body armor on themselves?
aggieaviator
AG

We walked up on this one along our neighborhood sidewalk trail. It's a heavily wooded area and there were lots of limbs along the trail so this guy could have easily been missed. It stopped and didn't move until I turned around to hand the dogs leash to my wife. At that point, it started to very slowly move off the sidewalk and into the grass. That's when I snapped this pic.

I read that unlike many snakes that will retreat when approached, Copperheads will stay still due in part to their great camouflage. That was definitely the case here. It also seemed to stay as straight as possible, also a good strategy to blend into the environment.

We usually have our dogs off-leash in this stretch of the trail and were just fortunate that we had decided to strap them up. Otherwise, I have no doubt that one or both would have been struck.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Pretty sure he just had a bad run in with a porcupine and didn't eat it. Still cool!
Badace52
AG
Tursiops93 said:

This was posted on a neighbor hood website as a "Baby Cottonmouth." I am sure it is not, but not sure what it is. Some insight if you please and what tells you it's ID?

Pretty sure this is a rough earth snake. Grass snakes are not native to the United States. There is no snake species with the common name Grass Snake in the U.S.

Here are some snakes people regularly call grass snakes in Texas:

Rough Earth Snake/Smooth Earth Snake:

Rough Green Snake:

Brown Snake:

Texas Garter snake:

Western Ribbon Snake:

Texas Blind Snake

NONE of the above snakes are babies, maybe some subadults, but no babies.

And now here is an actual Grass Snake:

Grass Snake (Found in Europe):

And here is a baby Cottonmouth (sometimes referred to as the non-specific term Water Moccasin which applies to any Water Snake):

(Note the yellow tail tip, this is also seen in baby copperheads and no non-venomous snakes in the U.S. that I am aware of...although 12fmane may need to check me on that.)
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BuddysBud
AG
Great post!
12f Mane
AG
Nice post! I think I recognize one of those pictures.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
So if it is small with a yellow tail....baby cotton mouth.

Any of those rough earth/garter/ just plain small non-venomous snakes...those would all be safe to handle without worry of it possibly nipping my 3 year old.

How could I go about keeping one of those as a pet? What would I need to keep it in, what would they eat? I think my little man would get a kick out of that
FrioAg 00
AG
Good question. I've brought my young kids Rough Green snakes and let them handle them. No bites yet but I'd like to hear from an expert if I'm doing something dumb.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.