Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,383 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
Courtesy Flush
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That is exactly why you should never go to the gym in the morning before sun up......especially ones that make people work out with sledge hammers.
tx4guns
AG
Call me cruel, but I'd probably try to free that toad.
mrsbeer05
AG
Looks like the toad could have used some workouts then he wouldn't be in that position
jbanda
AG
You know what they say...if a toad had hips, he could wear guns and then he wouldn't be afraid of snakes.
AggiePetro07
AG
Snakes skip leg day.
Whens lunch
AG
jbanda said:

At my gym this morning. Katy, TX off of westheimer parkway outside 99.

Stupid frog...didn't see that coming?
Mathguy64
AG
I agree with the snake. Best parts on a frog are the legs.
txags92
AG
That frog is *****ing to his friends about what a pain in the ass snakes are...
NoahAg
jbanda said:

At my gym this morning. Katy, TX off of westheimer parkway outside 99.

CROSSFIT AMAZON! WE GET SO SWOLE, NO PYTHON COULD SWALLOW US!
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
Frog will win as long as he remains bloated. Snake will give up in a few hours
Brush Country
Those sledgehammers. So tempting.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
For a little ole ribbon snake? That toad peeing on you would be more harmful than the snake.
Fairview
AG
I know a frog that would disagree with you.
Decay
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

For a little ole ribbon snake? That toad peeing on you would be more harmful than the snake.
Maybe he wants to pop that toad like a pimple?
dave99ag
AG
Texas Cobra aka Hognose

Found this little guy starting a ruckus with one of my dogs out in the backyard. Got them inside and did what anyone else would do, take photos.

He was fairly calm until I got a bit closer with my camera.

Still wasn't too pissed with me being less than a foot away and a huge flash shooting off.

Now he's pissed and playing dead.

Yeah, all the danger is clear and you can go on your way to the woods out back.

tx4guns
AG
I want a hognose as a pet so bad.
DBill
AG
Great photos Dave!
carpe vinum
AG
They are fun to find.
EFE
AG
Fishing Fools
Today's quiz! Can this South Texas Rat Snake outrun 3 dogs?

carpe vinum
AG
Cool find. They are pretty shy.
tx4guns
AG
Pretty banded krait.
OnlyForNow
AG
Seems like a long one too!
The Fife
Fishing Fools said:

Nope! I found our eskimo dog playing with one when he was a puppy. That was a fun surprise at 6 in the morning.
The Original AG 76
AG
Fishing Fools said:

Red Touch Yellow, Kills a Fellow. Red Touch Black, Friend of Jack.

12f Mane
AG
It's a great rhyme but to my knowledge there are no recorded deaths via Texas coral snake bite. Might need to google it a bit to confirm.
The Original AG 76
AG
12f Mane said:

It's a great rhyme but to my knowledge there are no recorded deaths via Texas coral snake bite. Might need to google it a bit to confirm.
because they seldom bite BUT..according to virtually everything I can find their bite is one of the worst. Without treatment it is almost certainly fatal. These critters are like cheerleaders ...beautiful BUT deadly
txags92
AG
There have been no coral snake fatalities in Texas at least as far back as 1967. There has only been one coral snake fatality in the US since then, and it was in Florida. The guy and his friend were bitten while trying to kill the snake...
ttha_aggie_09
AG
As with most snake bites, the victims tend to be "messing" with the snake or attempting to kill it when they're bitten. Statistically speaking, you're a lot better off leaving it be or setting it on fire with a flamethrower (kidding).

In regards to the coral snake, were talking about a different type of venom (neurotoxic) vs all the pit vipers of TX (hemotoxic). I know there is an antivenom out there but I suspect it is extremely hard to come by due to the low frequency of bites. I am pretty sure your standard Chrofab doesn't cover coral snakes.

O, and in before they have to chew on you to inject venom...
12f Mane
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

These critters are like cheerleaders ...beautiful BUT deadly
The Original AG 76
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

As with most snake bites, the victims tend to be "messing" with the snake or attempting to kill it when they're bitten. Statistically speaking, you're a lot better off leaving it be or setting it on fire with a flamethrower (kidding).

In regards to the coral snake, were talking about a different type of venom (neurotoxic) vs all the pit vipers of TX (hemotoxic). I know there is an antivenom out there but I suspect it is extremely hard to come by due to the low frequency of bites. I am pretty sure your standard Chrofab doesn't cover coral snakes.

O, and in before they have to chew on you to inject venom...
Read a few years ago that the last US made coral antivenom is gone. There are so few needs for it that it was not economical to manufacture since it has a limited shelf life. Supposedly there is a supply in mexico but.....well. mexico... Bottom line. DONT get bit by a coral. Very very very rare BUT very very very deadly.
Badace52
AG
Once again 12f mane is correct. There has never been a reported death from the Texas subspecies of the coral snake. The Eastern coral snake subspecies has caused deaths in Florida, but Texas coral snakes generally only cause paraesthesias. I have had one patient bitten by a coral snake in my career, and he was drunk and picked up the snake because he thought it was pretty. When it bit him, he dropped the snake, and then thought maybe I should take it to the hospital with me. So he picked it up again and got bit another time. His only symptoms were mild paraesthesias but the surgeon who admitted him made us get him antivenom. The only antivenom we could find was in the dallas zoo and it was "expired" but we used it anyway. They had to ship it to Bell County from the zoo.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Be careful what you use for bait when fishing.....
http://m.liveleak.com/view?i=189_1492028813
Fishing Fools
Didn't place a tape measure next to him but I estimate 24". Longest one I've seen here.
12f Mane
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

. Very very very rare BUT very very very deadly.

I don't think the last part is accurate. I've had several friends bitten and none of which had more than a night or two stay in the hospital.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.