Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,449 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
Stive
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks....was trying to post from my phone and had some trouble. Think I got it fixed
Badace52
AG
I'd call that a blotched water snake, but those two snakes are both subspecies of the same species of snake Nerodia erythrogaster:

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Brush Country
Wtf is this? 3-4' long, total pit viper head. Should I kill it with buckshot or is fire the only option?

txags92
AG
Can't see the head very well in the pic, but the body pattern looks like checkered garter to me.
EFE
AG
I'd fire your concrete guy
carpe vinum
AG
Brush Country said:

Wtf is this? 3-4' long, total pit viper head. Should I kill it with buckshot or is fire the only option?

bait
BuddysBud
AG
Your bricks are huge if that little Texas garter(?) snake is 3-4 ft long.
Mathguy64
AG
Brush Country said:

3-4'? Someone has delusions of grandeur.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BVdwd6MhuOD

Never seen one of these guys before. In Georgetown. Willamson county
Brush Country
Yeah my house is built of 5' wide bricks.

Seriously I was moving the tv outside to watch CWS and look down and this little guy was on my toes. It was near dark so I noped tfo of that so quick I almost dropped a 40" flat screen.
Brush Country
mathguy86 said:

Brush Country said:

3-4'? Someone has delusions of grandeur.

It was a joke.
MathNewman06
AG
So the flat screen is about as big as that snake.
Brush Country
What, you think I'm rich?
Badace52
AG
Maroonedinaustin said:

https://instagr.am/p/BVdwd6MhuOD

Never seen one of these guys before. In Georgetown. Willamson county
Ring necked snake... Harmless and their underside is very colorful:

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
AG
Brush Country said:

That's a completely harmless Texas brown snake. Too small and color not right for checkered garter.
Badace52
AG
Where exactly in Georgetown?
Badace52
AG
I guess I should mention that ring-necked snakes are slightly venomous, but have very small fangs at the back of their mouth making it very unlikely for them to deliver a venomous bite and their bite is no more deadly than a wasp sting. They are considered safe to handle.

Hognoses are another rear fanged snake with mild venom that is not dangerous to humans.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
Austin suburb. To the north about 30 miles.
Badace52
AG
I know, I just moved there I was gonna go look for one. Never seen one in the wild.
zooguy96
The difference with hognoses is that their "venom" comes from a modified saliva gland called the Duvernoy's gland. Thus, it's just saliva. The rear "fangs" are not actually hollow like pit viper fangs; they are used to hold and possibly puncture prey.
Badace52
AG
I was actually aware of the Duvernoy's gland and difference in rear fanged snake fang structure, but I thought the toad popping thing had been de-bunked for hognoses.
MouthBQ98
AG
Well, this morning I went out to get something from a stack of stuff on our carport, and as I was rummaging around I heard a faint noise at my feet and saw a bit of motion. 18" copperhead was sitting there about 8" from my bare foot trying to assess the situation. I froze a sec, then quickly moved out of range. Some steel toes, welding gloves, and fumbling for improvised snake sticks and a few minutes later, I had it in a cardboard box. Wife wanted execution, but I gave it parole with good behavior a long ways from our house. After all, I need something cutting down on rodents around the property.

Will post a pic later. Incidentally, it only struck at my stick once. Mostly it just wanted the hell outta there, and it spent a lot of time pretending to be a rattler, vibrating its tail.
corleoneAg99
zooguy96
MouthBQ98 said:

Well, this morning I went out to get something from a stack of stuff on our carport, and as I was rummaging around I heard a faint noise at my feet and saw a bit of motion. 18" copperhead was sitting there about 8" from my bare foot trying to assess the situation. I froze a sec, then quickly moved out of range. Some steel toes, welding gloves, and fumbling for improvised snake sticks and a few minutes later, I had it in a cardboard box. Wife wanted execution, but I gave it parole with good behavior a long ways from our house. After all, I need something cutting down on rodents around the property.

Will post a pic later. Incidentally, it only struck at my stick once. Mostly it just wanted the hell outta there, and it spent a lot of time pretending to be a rattler, vibrating its tail.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Post the pics!
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Maroonedinaustin said:

Austin suburb. To the north about 30 miles.

I'm dying.
Where "in" Georgetown, not "is".
MouthBQ98
AG
[url=https://flic.kr/p/VVSUAe][/url]
Chazz03
AG
AWW what a cute little guy
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
So we were at the in-laws lake house on Lake Tyler this weekend and my MIL was in the yard with a tree trimming contractor and the found a copperhead. It was in the process of eating a bird they said. The contractor crushed it's head with his boot and carried it down and threw it in the lake.

I was pretty pissed i missed the snake as well as pissed with the method of getting rid of the carcass.
Fairview
AG
Poor snake just wanted a little tweet.

ba-dum ching
SabineAg
AG
Maybe it's just me, but tossing it into the lake doesn't seem like the best disposal method...
rhtexfish
AG
PalomaPachanga said:

Maybe it's just me, but tossing it into the lake doesn't seem like the best disposal method...

I agree but it was probably just a rat snake anyway
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
My MIL swore it was a copperhead. I even showed her pictures in the handy little HEB snake identification pamphlet. I couldn't locate it in the lake to try and get it out for a photo op for TexAgs
AZAG08
AG
My parents sent me this from their place in Giddings. I think its a diamond back water snake trying to eat a catfish

SabineAg
AG
Often amazed at the things snakes swallow or at least try to

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.