Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,507 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm hung up on this one but can't convince myself it is a coral snake. I'll defer to 12fmane.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Blotched water snake if I am not mistaken
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Obviously it's a duck killing brown striped, yellow snake. You can tell by the dead duck in the background.
AggieStout
AG
Yeah I think your right.
Ag83
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I'm hung up on this one but can't convince myself it is a coral snake. I'll defer to 12fmane.
I was questioning it myself. Also would really like 12f's take....or robk's if he's still around...
Your Friend
Definitely a coral
zooguy96
Coral.
Log
AG
I'd say coral too.

If so, how common are those? Any chance you caught it?
Ag83
AG
Log said:

I'd say coral too.

If so, how common are those? Any chance you caught it?

Sorry, was pic my father in law sent. He saw it posted on next door on clear lake area.
12f Mane
AG
Ag83 said:

Black variant of a coral snake?

Coral snake. Any more details on it?
AggieAuditor
AG
Wait a doggone minute. You mean to tell me there are coral snakes that can kill me that don't follow the time-tested "red and yellow will kill a fellow"?

That's it. I'm moving to nopeville.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yeah, apparently so. Curious on the occurrence and wonder if it is prominent in a certain population/area.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
If you're curious on anything else coral snake related, this was a result of google "melanistic coral snake" search and is relatively informative. Most of the information has already been echoed here but it was a good read.

http://thevenominterviews.com/2016/06/02/mythbusting-coral-snakes/
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Are you still in Tennessee? Curious if you have access to someone or somewhere with a large population of snakes that we could get some OB guys together for. Maybe call it, "the brown shorts snake party" or "hope for the nopes"
zooguy96
Yes, I'm still in TN. You can go hiking pretty much anywhere around here and find a snake within 30 minutes or so if you know where to look. I've got a hognose that hisses and strikes that would scare some of the OB pansies.
Ag83
AG
12f Mane said:

Ag83 said:

Black variant of a coral snake?

Coral snake. Any more details on it?

Thanks. Nothing more than what I posted. He might know something more than that though. Anything in particular you'd like me to ask him?

How often are they that dark? I'd never heard of that variation before.
ursusguy
AG
I can do that in the middle of Dallas. Granted, it's going to be a simple copperhead or rat snake.
NoahAg
AggieAuditor said:

Wait a doggone minute. You mean to tell me there are coral snakes that can kill me that don't follow the time-tested "red and yellow will kill a fellow"?
Just when I'm getting better at snake ID. Next they gonna tell me there's rattle-less rattlesnakes, albino cottonmouths, and copperheads with rainbow feathers and fluffy tales.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
There actually is a species of rattlesnake without a rattle... it's just isolated on an island or two in Mexico.
Ol Jock 99
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

There actually is a species of rattlesnake without a rattle... it's just isolated on an island or two in Mexico.

Because of wild pigs, right?
dave99ag
AG
NoahAg said:

AggieAuditor said:

Just when I'm getting better at snake ID. Next they gonna tell me there's rattle-less rattlesnakes, albino cottonmouths, and copperheads with rainbow feathers and fluffy tales.
Throwout
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Without the rattles, would that just be called a snake? And I'm guessing those islands in Mexico are named Wild Pig Island 1 and 2....
jgh85Ag
AG
What's next? Lizards without legs?
Badace52
AG
Here she is, the Santa Catalina Island Rattlesnake:

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
EFE
AG
Oh no! The hogs done got to her!
Badace52
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

Oh no! The hogs done got to her!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Superdave1993
AG
List of places where I will not vacation:

1) Santa Catalina Island
agcrock2005
AG
Superdave1993 said:

1) Santa Catalina Island
Sailor
You forgot Snake Island.

Brush Country
agcrock2005
AG
Superdave1993 said:

1) Santa Catalina Island
Not even for the %$#&*@ Catalina Wine Mixer?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Thanks! I couldn't remember the name and haven't had a chance to look it up.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
This and all the other responses have me in tears
1990AG
AG
Badace52
AG
NoahAg said:

AggieAuditor said:

Just because they exist as well... Here's an albino cottonmouth:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.