Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,422 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
Ag83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just saw this little guy on the back patio. Think he might have just had a meal...

dr_boogs
AG
Mostly a lurker on the snake thread. Today I encountered a 4 ft snake, rat snake I believe (no jokes ok). This one was more gray than I have encountered around our place, but had the classic pattern. Round head, all one color. Eyes round. I use a hoe to relocate them as my wife freaks when they are around the house. Other than a defensive posture and a few weak strikes at the hoe he was docile. As I worked to relocate him into the brush he vibrated his tail like a rattle which I hadn't heard before. Made a really cool vibration noise. And then as soon as I put him down he went straight to climb a tree and went up into the jaupon canopy. I know rat snakes are climbers, but the darker gray color has me fooled. Do those behaviors and color still fit w a rat snake? Not a hog nose and not venomous. Sorry no rule 1, phone was inside during the relocation.
AZAG08
AG
did it still have the rat snake patterns?
Found this pictures online
txags92
AG
I have had a Texas Brown do the fake tail rattle thing to me before. He was doing it against a hollow core door after a cat brought him in and dropped him in the laundry room.
Badace52
AG
Bullsnakes do the tail rattle thing. Texas browns don't climb in general. What's your location?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
12f Mane
AG
Found this really good looking buttermilk racer north of Houston today

carpe vinum
AG
Cool, I've never seen one.
dr_boogs
AG
AZAG08 said:

did it still have the rat snake patterns?
Found this pictures online

Yep had that pattern but the snake's base color was much darker than your photo.
dr_boogs
AG
Badace52 said:

Bullsnakes do the tail rattle thing. Texas browns don't climb in general. What's your location?

B/CS - came to Aggieland in '94 and never left. We live on the east side of 6, south college station, right at edge of city limits and back up to the flood plain. Lots of wildlife and room. Little gray fox in the front yard this morning. Thanks for the input fellas.
dr_boogs
AG
Just spent a few minutes looking at bullsnake images on the web. Don't think it was a bull. It didn't have any of that brown/khaki color to it and the pattern was more rat snake. It was dark gray base w gray/green patterning.
rather be fishing
AG
ID help. This is Nerodia, correct?

SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Looks like a yellow belly water snake with a whopper of a headache...
rather be fishing
AG
After all of my insisting that it was either a blotched or yellow belly, my brother is adamant that it's a cottonmouth. Nephew popped it a dozen or so times with a pellet gun and my brother put a .22 through it.
SA_Ag93
AG
Checkered garter or Texas brown...1st snake in the pool...San Antonio

rather be fishing
AG
Garter
BuddysBud
AG
From your description it was a rat snake. I have seen several rat snakes shake its tail against dry leaves to sound like a rattle.
dr_boogs
AG
Thanks a buddy.
Your Friend
Your bro doesn't know snakes very well
VaultingChemist
AG
Found this one swimming in a lake in Stephens County. Diamondback water snake?

Your Friend
Looks like a western rat but I'll defer to 12f
12f Mane
AG
Ratsnake
Badace52
AG
Correct... most people would call that a yellow bellied water snake.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
1990AG
AG
THEY SWIM???
Aggielandma12
AG
so not every snake you see in the water is a moccasin?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
A good rule of thumb about identifying water moccasins in the wild with others:

If the majority of people you're with, regardless of their upbringing and years outdoors, think it's a water moccasin... it's a water snake.

*Disclaimer - don't be a dumbass... this is advice
12f Mane
AG
1990AG said:

THEY SWIM???

Just about every snake can swim and usually quite well.
AggiePetro07
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

*Disclaimer - don't be a dumbass... this is advice

Way to remember your audience.
hillcoag16
AG

Stole this from Facebook. A friend is in Rwanda doing mission work. Any clue on the ID?
magnumtmp
AG
hillcoag16 said:

Stole this from Facebook. A friend is in Rwanda doing mission work. Any clue on the ID?

Yep, that's a Tabby.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Black Momba would be my guess
OnlyForNow
AG
I'm sorry but if in in Africa or South America, every snake I come across is potentially deadly. Sorry rat snakes of other countries.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Australia is a much more lethal* place for snakes

In the sense of number of venomous species... couple of countries in SE Asia have some serious death rates by snakes. The death rate is like inflated by the availability of treatment and antivenom.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I had to look it up afterwards and found a few interesting notes. Source is Wikipedia so don't count on everything as fact...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiology_of_snakebites

Quote:

Since reporting is not mandatory in many regions of the world, snakebites often go unreported. Consequently, no accurate study has ever been conducted to determine the frequency of snakebites on the international level. However, some estimates put the number at 5.4 million snakebites, 2.5 million envenomings, resulting in perhaps 125,000 deaths.

Others estimate 1.2 to 5.5 million snakebites, 421,000 to 1.8 million envenomings, and 20,000 to 94,000 deaths. Many people who survive bites nevertheless suffer from permanent tissue damage caused by venom, leading to disability. Most snake envenomings and fatalities occur in South Asia, Southeast Asia, and sub-Saharan Africa, with India reporting the most snakebite deaths of any country.

Then this gem:

Quote:

North America, the victims are typically male and between 17 and 27 years of age

Sounds about right.
tx4guns
AG
So with those figures, cobras and banded kraits kill more people than any other snakes...?
12f Mane
AG
And on that last point, I think the vast majority involve alcohol.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.