Landcruisers

522,420 Views | 3498 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by AgCMT
Complete Idiot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sounds like a great contact and great first person account, but I've heard so many conflicting stories on their plans. Thanks for sharing, I certainly give this more weight than all the facebook posts and automotive media articles (unnamed sources) I've seen.

The value of used Land Cruisers continues to rise this year, I see shocking prices.
reddog90
AG
K Bo said:

What tires did you settle on?
285/70/18 Ridge Grapplers on factory wheels.

I was tempted to get new wheels and run a 285/75/17 since there are so many more tire options and the tires are usually cheaper. But I didn't really want to buy new wheels and I was getting a headache researching what offset to get. Rock Warriors would be great but seem unobtanium. Evo Corse DakarZero in 40mm would probably be perfect too but they are crazy expensive.
K Bo
AG
I hear you on wheels. I'll (hopefully) eventually get Rock Warriors and plan to run 285/70/17
TxAg20
AG
I don't think anyone truly knows the long term future of the Land Cruiser in the US. A few years ago Toyota sent a corporate guy and a Land Cruiser to an event in Moab. I wasn't at the event, but it was chronicled on the 200 forum on ih8mud by people who were there. The Toyota rep said the Land Cruiser will always be sold in the US and that the next iteration would keep a V8.

I do believe it has been confirmed that 2021 will be the last model year of the Land Cruiser 200 sold in the US. Some believe this is confirmation that the Land Cruiser is done in the US indefinitely, but unless I've missed it, Toyota has issued no such statement.

I have not seen it confirmed that the 200 won't be replaced with another iteration of the Land Cruiser in the US.

I believe every US offered Land Cruiser has been better than the model it replaced. I doubt Toyota ends that streak and replaces the 200 with a Land Cruiser branded Prado or some other vehicle that will be less desirable than the 200.
reddog90
AG
I tend to agree with this mainly because I have yet to see a legit announcement from Toyota. But at the same time, they only sell like 3k in the US per year. Us cruiser heads will raise hell if they get rid of the LC in the US, but clearly the bulk of the following is in the used market. I don't know how Toyota quantifies the demand cruisers bring to other models here though.
reddog90
AG
Got everything buttoned up last night. **** this thing is tall.

K Bo
AG
Awesome!! I'm sure it'll settle a little bit gonna be sick with the tires. Have you driven it, yet?
K Bo
AG
Anyone have a reco for a 200 windshield replacement in Houston?
Guitarsoup
AG
I think 1Ags place is Apple in the Hoodlands.
K Bo
AG
Suspension goodies arrived while out of town. Hopefully dropping it off at Duggy's on Thursday.
reddog90
AG
Nice!
reddog90
AG
New shoes on in time for the Surfside Cruiser Run.

Steve w/ Northwest D&F in his built 80 and Todd with Elite Land Cruisers in his HJ61. The HJ61 was imported by Land Cruisers Direct, owned by the LCD owner for a while and is in really nice condition. 12HT, H55, cable lockers, factory PTO winch, power moon roof, etc.

My buddy's FJ Co 45 next to some 40s, a PZJ70 and some 60s.
Lots of 80s and 100s there. Maybe 3 JDM diesel 80s as well. I think there were 32 trucks total this year.
Grown Pear
AG
I think we're at least another few years from buying my wife a new car but want to ask your advice. What would be your biggest selling points to convince her the Land Cruiser should be it?

She's owned 2 LC's before (like a mid 90's and then early 00's). She loved them, would drive through the snow in Colorado when everyone else couldn't. She had a Subaru Outback shortly afterwards and really really loves the Outbacks. So it would be down to getting a new Outback or Land Cruiser.

I know what you're thinking: "no question right?" Well she's not a car person, comes more from the "practical" side as in we don't "neeeed" this or that, and likes what she likes.

So how should I convince her we need the LC? LOL! I drive a Silverado 1500 for reference and would much rather have a LC as our other car
bedofbrass33
AG
Only possible answer, get both.

Buy her the Subbie.

Trade that Chebby in for a LC for yourself before those lifters explode.
Grown Pear
AG
bedofbrass33 said:

Only possible answer, get both.

Buy her the Subbie.

Trade that Chebby in for a LC for yourself before those lifters explode.
Bloody brilliant.
K Bo
AG
Bilstein 6112/5160 installed. Lowest perch so it's only about an inch in the front and kept the stock rear springs/height for now. Ride is firm and controlled as it should have come from the factory, IMO.

reddog90
AG
Nice! Did you go to Duggy's?
drmwvr
AG
K Bo-

Looks great!

Tire size?
K Bo
AG
Duggy's yes and tires are 275/70/18.

drmwvr
AG
K Bo said:

Duggy's yes and tires are 275/70/18.

Nice. I was just there today getting my 100 back from some general maintenance. Talked to him about your 200 as I'm thinking about the same setup on my 200. Thinking about pulling the trigger after the holidays so let me know pros and cons after you have driven it for a while. Thanks!
K Bo
AG
Awesome!

After having two adults in the back seat yesterday I'm considering getting OME 2720 rear springs. Unloaded, it rides like a (my) dream - Firm and controlled but not mushy or harsh. With 400+lbs the stock rear springs felt a little too mushy and loose.

If you end up going with the Bilsteins, call AJUSA.
nortex97
AG
Toyota confirms current generation is leaving the US after 2021. Buy one this year if you want a real one (new), my suspicion is...whatever they do with the name next will not make the loyalists happy.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/12/24/toyota-land-cruiser-dead-after-2021/
Garrelli 5000
AG
No "slowly unzips pants" here. They flew across the room with that last photo of all the classics lined up!
Take the trash out staff.
TxAg20
AG
nortex97 said:

Toyota confirms current generation is leaving the US after 2021. Buy one this year if you want a real one (new), my suspicion is...whatever they do with the name next will not make the loyalists happy.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/12/24/toyota-land-cruiser-dead-after-2021/

From the same article:

Quote:

Dealers who asked to remain anonymous told Car & Driver that the next-generation Land Cruiser will again be sold in the United States, though whether it will arrive in time for the 2022 model year remains up in the air. We might not see it until a little later in the 2020s.
"It's gone for 2022, but I think it'll be back soon, and way more modern and luxurious," one source said.
It's a statement that gives us another piece of the Land Cruiser puzzle. As we previously reported, credible gossip claims the next-generation model will ditch the current truck's mighty V8 in favor of a turbocharged V6. It might even gain a hybrid variant thanks to components borrowed from the Lexus LS. Going green and upmarket won't be an excuse to go soft, and we hear that the Land Cruiser will continue to offer exceptional off-road capacity.

I think the 14 years that the 200 series has been sold in the US is a record run only surpassed by the 40 series. Whatever the next Land Cruiser series is called, I bet it will be better than the 200 and I hope it is sold in the US in Toyota trim (as opposed to Lexus only). As for the TTV6, I'm a convert. I wasn't crazy about them after driving a 2.7L Ecoboost, but have been very happy with the 3.5L Ecoboost. Something like the 3.5 with Toyota reliability (and the associated Toyota step down in power and fuel economy) would be attractive compared to the 5.7 V8.
kyledr04
AG
I'm hoping they go back toward the jeep/bronco style. Simpler and more rugged. Less like a lexus.
nortex97
AG
The issue is turbo's on an off roader make little sense. Turbo gets its power boost from exhaust gases. No, most land cruisers aren't out crawling around on rocks most of the time, but the steady torque curve of the V-8 is glorious when needed.

Make no mistake, modern turbos are remarkably programmed, but the reason for their being isn't real world fuel economy, but the fact that they are cheaper to produce than larger displacement engines are; more cylinders, valves, rods etc.

I'm highly dubious the next land cruiser will be anything approaching 'better' in any metric that matters (a few MPG better by EPA estimates doesn't count.)
reddog90
AG
Added spidertrax spacers last week. I'm now about equal to the offset I would have had with Icon wheels. Almost no rubbing on KDSS arm and sway bar, little rubbing on inner fender liner that can be easily shaped out if I want. Stance is about perfect imo now and the truck rides and handles very nice.

K Bo
AG
Looks great! Glad they took care of the more severe rubbing. Long term do you think you're still going to go with more positive offset wheels?
capn00
AG
I blame all of you for even having the thought to search for Landcruisers near me, and now I may have to go see this thing in person...

https://autorideofreading.com/used-toyota/1994-toyota-land-cruiser-reading-pa-00000fzj800080686
DeadCiv
AG
capn00 said:

https://autorideofreading.com/used-toyota/1994-toyota-land-cruiser-reading-pa-00000fzj800080686
That color, though
capn00
AG
I don't mind the bright colors. I have a Solar Yellow LJ now.
DeadCiv
AG
I guess it's a little too orange for me. But that's just me. Carry on...
JB
AG
Sup fellas

Just picked up a new ride. 01 LX470 with 185k. Will get some better pics when I get home.
Oruc Reis
AG
Where'd you get the leather?
Oruc Reis
AG
Do any Dallas 100 owners have a shop you recommend?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.