Landcruisers

518,479 Views | 3492 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by TxAg20
Centerpole90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He does. The box is actually in another box. I kind of think the dent was there before he got it and they just didn't realize it.
Streetfighter 02
AG
WHAT'S IN THE BOX INSIDE THE BOX!!?
Centerpole90
AG

Bolted the 4Plus goodies on this evening. I need to put the front driveline in and charge the battery who knows.... maybe I'll set it on the ground and see if it moves under its own power this weekend. I drained the coolant - I want to add some flush stuff and try to clean out the rusty water look...
Streetfighter 02
AG
What size basket did you get?
Centerpole90
AG
Yei45, round pipe basket.
Streetfighter 02
AG
I just realized this requires removal of the bumperettes.

I'm wondering if my bike rack will clear the basket.
reddog90
AG
Streetfighter 02 said:

I just realized this requires removal of the bumperettes.

I'm wondering if my bike rack will clear the basket.
I asked Dave to add a receiver hitch to one of my swing outs specifically for a bike rack. Also added mounting points on the jerry can basket for a Frontrunner table. Best pic I have at the moment...

Guitarsoup
AG
Leather is about what you expect on a 24yo Land Cruiser.

Spend tons to replace the leather on the back seat that my kids will just trash anyway?

Nope.

$40 on a waterproof dog seat cover.

Streetfighter 02
AG
On the swing out under the basket? That's a good spot and some companies already make swing outs just for a rack. I already have one of his receivers since it will fit with the factory step. It looks like this would completely replace it.

I took the truck to a mechanic yesterday and he's thinking no blown head gasket. Adding the gasket kit(s) to the parts collection. He's tied in with a paint and body place so we are going to get the barn doors painted and mounted up and redo the cooling system after a good flush and clean up. That may be all my wallet will allow at the moment.

Toyota Parts Deal just emailed me that the radiators are now out of stock.
Centerpole90
AG
Yesterday was the day. I put the front driveshaft back in, tightened up the last of the 4plus stuff, burped the cooling system, snugged up last of the steering column, and drove to the farm for gas. I made it to right here when it ran out of gas. There was this nice windmill road turnout so I was able to get off the highway while I waited for backup to help me get going again (I had only put in a splash after I put the engine back in).

I think I'm close on tuning, but I feel I need to raise the float level in the carb. Sometimes the engine has trouble transitioning from idle to higher rpms without stumbling and has a hard time returning to idle from high rpms when it's warm. When idling the fuel level is below the window, so I am going after the obvious first. I don't think I'm TOO far off.

Streetfighter 02
AG
https://automotive.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/onoff-road-off-road/klever-rt/

It looks like Kenda has a 33 x 15 tire that is only 9.5" wide if anyone is looking for tall pizza cutters.

Streetfighter 02
AG
Anyone done a Pertronix electronic ignition conversion?

reddog90
AG
I actually don't know where the extra receiver hitch is. I would assume on top of one of the swing out arms near the centerline of the truck. Will post a picture once I get the bumpers on.
FamousAgg
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/share/305808673

How much harder would this right hand drive be to source parts?
Guitarsoup
AG
BattleGrackle said:

A lot of parts would be identical, but being 30 years old would create problems and i think RHD would be a huge PITA on a day to day basis.
Andy07
AG
I just moved to Australia, and sold my 2018 4Runner in the states before leaving. Since the 4runner isn't a thing here, I'm considering upgrading to a Landcruiser (which are everywhere).

The car market here is absolutely nuts so I'm not really in a rush to get into anything, but what would be your dream cruiser down here that you can't find in the states? I'm thinking 70 series workmate wagon like:
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/seaforth/cars-vans-utes/2012-76series-toyota-landcruiser/1291644080

but $45k (even if it is AUD) seems crazy for a 2012. Not sure if I should consider a Prado, might just wait but in the meantime I'm browsing for used cruisers all the time and though I'd get Texags thoughts.
reddog90
AG
Andy07 said:

I just moved to Australia, and sold my 2018 4Runner in the states before leaving. Since the 4runner isn't a thing here, I'm considering upgrading to a Landcruiser (which are everywhere).

The car market here is absolutely nuts so I'm not really in a rush to get into anything, but what would be your dream cruiser down here that you can't find in the states? I'm thinking 70 series workmate wagon like:
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/seaforth/cars-vans-utes/2012-76series-toyota-landcruiser/1291644080

but $45k (even if it is AUD) seems crazy for a 2012. Not sure if I should consider a Prado, might just wait but in the meantime I'm browsing for used cruisers all the time and though I'd get Texags thoughts.
A daily driver? VDJ200. A VDJ76 would be a close second. A troopy only if you are building out a touring rig imo. I have no idea what those cost there.
Centerpole90
AG
Buy one of each.
reddog90
AG
BattleGrackle said:

A lot of parts should be fine. Vendors like Valley Hybrids and Cruiser Outfitters keep a lot of 70 series stuff in stock for the US market. But you will almost never be able to walk into an auto parts store and get something, and you will probably need to learn how to use the EPC and source your own OEM parts. That PZ engine is not very desirable in a LWB truck from my understanding. I think PZs only came with an R151 instead of a H55f like HZs. RHD is another hit. I've never spoken to or read someone that owns a RHD vehicle in the US say it's bad, and the biggest issue they cite is hitting the windshield wipers rather than the blinkers. But people that import LHD 70 series are always touting how much better they are. IDK who to believe but the importers obviously have a vested interest in spreading that belief. I think a HZJ73 will be my next truck because it would be the perfect blend of the good attributes of a 40 and 60.
Streetfighter 02
AG
You have to go through the Double Quick drive-thru backwards to reach the window.
reddog90
AG
And they'll ask if you deliver mail.
Andy07
AG
reddog90 said:

Andy07 said:

A daily driver? VDJ200. A VDJ76 would be a close second. A troopy only if you are building out a touring rig imo. I have no idea what those cost there.

I don't need a car for the commute as my work and home are right next to the train here in Sydney, at least for this first year. It would take me longer to park and drive to work. So this will be used for weekend trips, and occasionaly to run errands around town.
Guitarsoup
AG
First thing to fix, new struts front and back

Guitarsoup
AG
Head unit is in, but taking it out again tomorrow to put in the backup cameras.

Single DIN in the low spot, but I may flip it to the high spot tomorrow.
Guitarsoup
AG
Camping at Lake Houston Wilderness park.

Light bar lights the whole campsite pretty well.

reddog90
AG
Andy07 said:

reddog90 said:

Andy07 said:

I don't need a car for the commute as my work and home are right next to the train here in Sydney, at least for this first year. It would take me longer to park and drive to work. So this will be used for weekend trips, and occasionaly to run errands around town.
Do you have kids? Do you need a second row? Or is a troopy with a built out interior ok?
Andy07
AG
No kids for now at least. We're hoping they'll be a consideration in the next couple years though.
'03ag
I did a thing

MR Gadsden
That's a cool camper.

I had camper envy until I saw the price tag.
Centerpole90
AG
Before we go on the epic thread derail that 03ag just kicked off (one that I look forward to!)...

Going back years ago I used to tell Reddog90 that we needed a Texags Land Cruiser meat up for an Aggie Baseball game. Our family spent this last weekend in Aggieland and as we took in the series against the Bulldogs it re-kindled that feeling that it would be a lot of fun if we could pull it off. All that's left at home this season will be potential playoff games so I think the 2022 ship has sailed, however, when 2023 gets closer I propose we pick a game and give it go. A guy can dream, right?
Guitarsoup
AG
Took the kids to Crystal Beach.

Definitely getting an awning
MR Gadsden
Centerpole90 said:

Before we go on the epic thread derail that 03ag just kicked off (one that I look forward to!)...

Going back years ago I used to tell Reddog90 that we needed a Texags Land Cruiser meat up for an Aggie Baseball game. Our family spent this last weekend in Aggieland and as we took in the series against the Bulldogs it re-kindled that feeling that it would be a lot of fun if we could pull it off. All that's left at home this season will be potential playoff games so I think the 2022 ship has sailed, however, when 2023 gets closer I propose we pick a game and give it go. A guy can dream, right?

I've already booked a place for the upcoming regional ( yet to be announced) and I hope to have the pig back from the shop by then with air conditioning fully installed.
'03ag
Free Spirit has a unit they just launched. Looks like a great design. Light weight
'03ag
MR Gadsden said:

That's a cool camper.

I had camper envy until I saw the price tag.
'03ag

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.