Landcruisers

519,917 Views | 3498 Replies | Last: 14 hrs ago by AgCMT
marcel ledbetter
How long do you want to ignore this user?

I'm in Costa Rica. There are a lot of restored fj-40s down here. I've seen several pickup versions and a couple of long wheel base fj-40's that are basically fj-40s, but several feet longer. Lot's of tow truck fj-40's also.
Centerpole90
AG
marcel ledbetter said:

pickup versions.

Keep talking….
reddog90
AG
45s and 43s
reddog90
AG
I finished my axle rebuild and got the truck back on the road a couple weeks ago. As usual in this season of life, a 3-4 day project took me about 7 weeks to get through. Cleaned up a straight front axle housing, Sumo knuckle rebuild kit, new brake hardlines on front axle, full Dobinson IMS kit, new caster shims, tire rotation and DIY alignment. I replaced almost all the knuckle hardware with new from Toyota. The Dobinson kit is really nice and I think it will drive even better when I get the front shocks in the mail in May. I've already put a couple tanks of gas through it but I won't worry about getting the stance perfectly level until this summer. I'll trim the ubolts before heading to CO in August.

Greener Acres
AG
If I get an LX can I drool with you guys on this thread? Thoughts on a 2011 with around 250k miles? Single owner, well maintained at the dealership for everything. $10k.
'03ag
2013 here with 105k. plenty of room on this thread for LX570s

Things to check the maintenance records for.

AHC function/maintenance.
Fluid -- This a 60k mile change interval so it should have been done several times at this point. This is a common miss by owners and has a large impact on the performance of the system.
Globes -- An even bigger miss than fluid changes. If it's on the original globes like 100% the system is not functioning optimally. 10 years/100k miles is all you can expect them to go with good performance. There are 4 of these(one per corner) and they're VERY expensive at the dealer. People buy OE globes JDM off ebay for the set. I paid around $600 for all 4 for which is probably 80% savings just on parts.
Shocks -- these seem to go a long time since so much of the system depends on the globes and fluid. Still 260k is a LONG time.

Radiator
I'd be shocked if it wasn't replaced once already. Extremely high failure rate at around 100-150k miles. The part wasn't updated and fixed until 2018, so if it was replaced before then you will have to replace it again at some point. Post up a pic of the top of the radiator and I can easily tell if it's the updated part.

Valley plate leak
Common source of coolant leak on Tundras and 200s. Doesn't look like an awful DIY

Cam Tower leak
oil leak that develops on the back of the cylinder head. common on Tundras and 200s. DOES look like an awful DIY.
drumboy
AG
Greener Acres said:

If I get an LX can I drool with you guys on this thread? Thoughts on a 2011 with around 250k miles? Single owner, well maintained at the dealership for everything. $10k.
That seems like a great deal. I love my 2011.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
Complete Idiot
The $10K would make me worry way more than the 250K miles.
AgCMT
AG
Still new to the LC world having picked up a 2003 100 a few months back. After driving it daily, it is clear why you need the extra gas can on the back.

The previous owner said to make sure that I used premium gas...does anyone else run premium? I've taken his word for it, but wouldn't mind being wrong.
TxAg20
AG
I run regular unleaded in my 80 and 200. I don't own a 100, but not sure why it would require premium.
Greener Acres
AG
'03ag said:

2013 here with 105k. plenty of room on this thread for LX570s

Things to check the maintenance records for.

AHC function/maintenance.
Fluid -- This a 60k mile change interval so it should have been done several times at this point. This is a common miss by owners and has a large impact on the performance of the system.
Globes -- An even bigger miss than fluid changes. If it's on the original globes like 100% the system is not functioning optimally. 10 years/100k miles is all you can expect them to go with good performance. There are 4 of these(one per corner) and they're VERY expensive at the dealer. People buy OE globes JDM off ebay for the set. I paid around $600 for all 4 for which is probably 80% savings just on parts.
Shocks -- these seem to go a long time since so much of the system depends on the globes and fluid. Still 260k is a LONG time.

Radiator
I'd be shocked if it wasn't replaced once already. Extremely high failure rate at around 100-150k miles. The part wasn't updated and fixed until 2018, so if it was replaced before then you will have to replace it again at some point. Post up a pic of the top of the radiator and I can easily tell if it's the updated part.

Valley plate leak
Common source of coolant leak on Tundras and 200s. Doesn't look like an awful DIY

Cam Tower leak
oil leak that develops on the back of the cylinder head. common on Tundras and 200s. DOES look like an awful DIY.
Thanks for this. I'll keep in mind and I'll see if I can post pics of the details if the records aren't available.
MTTANK
AG
AgCMT said:

Still new to the LC world having picked up a 2003 100 a few months back. After driving it daily, it is clear why you need the extra gas can on the back.

The previous owner said to make sure that I used premium gas...does anyone else run premium? I've taken his word for it, but wouldn't mind being wrong.
No need to run premium in a hunnid series
'03ag
Also FYI the Lexus owners website let's you see the full maintenance history that was performed at the dealer. You just need the VIN
Naveronski
AG
Looks like the upcoming Toyota Jamboree will have all of the new Toyota models on display.
RVAg02
AG
I can't decide which of the new cruisers I like. The GX is a bit nicer and has the bigger motor and towing, but I can't seem to make myself like the looks as much as the new LC.
Aggietaco
AG
'03ag said:

Also FYI the Lexus owners website let's you see the full maintenance history that was performed at the dealer. You just need the VIN
This might have changed recently, or at least the Toyota owner site. About 2 months ago I had to create a separate profile for my wife and send some Toyota CSR proof that the LC was in her name before I could access the maintenance history that I was able to see late last summer before I purchased her '21.
'03ag
Been looking at older RXs for my mom. Was just able to add one today with no issue.

I tried a Toyota a while back and it didn't work.
Streetfighter 02
AG
I was able to drive the road on Monday. Working three pedals took a little learning on the gap but was able to get up no problem on my second attempt. Never done any off-road 4x4 driving before so it was pretty exciting. We were supposed to camp at Tally but river level temps were 110-ish and we were able to retreat to a group camp site in the Chisos. I don't know how well the sprinter RV vans would've done on the river road so we didn't go for any camp sites deeper than Gravel Pit. Old Maverick was beating and rattling them to death and the River Road is less well maintained. Next time I go back I'd like to camp at Glenn Springs. I was really surprised by the amount of standing water in the road once we descended the switch backs down the start of Black Gap Rd. I bet you can see a lot of wildlife there.

Centerpole90
AG
Not pictured: A very sad FJ43 at home pouting because it was left behind.
Naveronski
AG
Streetfighter 02 said:

I was able to drive the road on Monday. Working three pedals took a little learning on the gap but was able to get up no problem on my second attempt. Never done any off-road 4x4 driving before so it was pretty exciting. We were supposed to camp at Tally but river level temps were 110-ish and we were able to retreat to a group camp site in the Chisos. I don't know how well the sprinter RV vans would've done on the river road so we didn't go for any camp sites deeper than Gravel Pit. Old Maverick was beating and rattling them to death and the River Road is less well maintained. Next time I go back I'd like to camp at Glenn Springs. I was really surprised by the amount of standing water in the road once we descended the switch backs down the start of Black Gap Rd. I bet you can see a lot of wildlife there.

Glad you made it! Looks like you enjoyed the trip?

Ref: "Old Maverick was beating and rattling them to death"
Do you have an air compressor?

Airing down your tires (and being able to air them back up for pavement makes the ride much easier.
Streetfighter 02
AG
I have a decent VIAIR but not sure it would've helped these sprinter van based RVs. The ones they rented were based on the Ram sprinter, front wheel drive and what appears to be a trailer axle in the back. I aired down for the Black Gap, River Road and Old Ore.
Naveronski
AG
I'm not sure either; never tried to wheel a sprinter van but figured it might be worth a shot. You wouldn't get the rock crawling performance out of it, but should help the tires better adsorb some of the bounces.
Silvy
AG

TxAg20
AG
Looks like legit 300 series Toyotas on a ro-ro. Are those being unloaded in the US?

Edit: just noticed the glass. Probably going to the State Department
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I was going to guess U.N. myself.
'03ag
They all look like 200s to me.
Silvy
AG
Unloading in Saudi Arabia
TxAg20
AG
You are correct.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Toyo Steel Land Cruiser Tool Box

Probably going to need to order one of these.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Unfortunately, money is an object

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-toyota-land-cruiser-fzj80-126/
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Woods Ag
AG
I bought my 97 triple locked LC for 12k. Have poured another 33k into it turning it into an off-roading/fun machine.

Still haven't rebuilt the engine/trans with 311k on it. Runs great and admittedly I've paid 15k on mechanics that promised they'd fix various issues that they didn't fix. Lot of lessons learned in that I can figure out and fix things as much as a Toyota or independent mechanic.

But I love her very much. Currently visiting projects in NM taking her down lease roads and super soft sandy stuff. Last week I was in the Ozarks on trails. Handles so well and just goes no matter what.
TxAg20
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

Unfortunately, money is an object

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-toyota-land-cruiser-fzj80-126/

Corsetti had a ~13K mile, white, FZJ80 on BaT a year or two ago. I'm curious how he's finding these mint FZJ80s.
AgCMT
AG
As I've started pouring money into this LC 100 project, I'm tempted to just grab something like this one instead...
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-toyota-land-cruiser-fj60-79/

Then I remember that I like my wife.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.