Landcruisers

516,259 Views | 3492 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TxAg20
'03ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sorry that second video is a different trail.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Pioneer trail is the one back over close to black land playhouse right?

You should go do the alpine loop between lake city/Ouray/silverton.

'03ag
That's right.

With the kids at their age I probably won't be tackling Alpine loop stuff for a while. The whole family ain't making it in a tent, and I don't think our trailer would either.

My brother has done quite a bit of that area in a Gladiator. From what I've seen it's not for me. I can't drive along moonscapes with cliff edges. As narrow and steep as the Greenie Peak trail can be, there's enough trees to give me the illusion of not driving on a steep drop. It's also relatively short. I hit my limit for that kind of driving in a day.

The switchback she's filming is here

'03ag
ChoppinDs40 said:

That's coming down right? I remember there being water there. Where I'm thinking is pretty rutted/washed out and very steep.

Maybe it's been worked on.

Just watched some YouTube videos of that trail. I feel like it's been widened and fixed in some areas. That or I'm thinking of some of the many side trails up that way.

Nonetheless, nice job to the top in a GX.

Get a little lift in that bad boy and some KO2s (and skid plates).

it's an LX. So no plans for a lift any time soon beyond fiddling with height sensors. Armor all around . . . In due time for sure.

I actually just replaced an old set of K02s with these Firestone Destination XTs. I'm really happy with how they handled the whole trip, on road and off. So far they seem like a great value and much lighter than a K02. 33" which is a little over stock. If anything my next move would be a full spare set of lower offset 17s with 35" MTs.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Alpine loop (just engineer and cinnamon pass) is a 1 day trip. A long day but 1 day nonetheless. And yeah, if shelf roads wig you out, goose lake won't be fun at the beginning.

You DEFINITELY won't want to do the alpine loop.

Go watch some jeep gopro vids of black bear pass, that'll make you pucker up at your computer chair.

There's the ATV after 14 flips. One wheel was completely ripped off. Notice the handle bars. Lol

The rest is crystal river road down into devils punchbowl. THAT is some scary stuff. I saw some red neck drive up that thing in a long bed f250 with his pregnant girlfriend. Few deaths there each year I was told.

Last pic of Crystal river mill. I think it's the most photographed site in Colorado? We came in the back way from the punch bowl. Didn't see many rigs that day.

ChoppinDs40
AG
Last 2. Gives you an idea how narrow that road on the punch bowl is.

And Here we are digging out Pearl Pass… in August!

aggiedata
AG
Centerpole90
AG
Quote:

The truck was designated a gross polluter by the state of California in March 2015

I don't know what this is, but I want one.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I hope it is like a certificate that can be framed.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Did almost the same trip about 5 years ago, Black Bear -> Imogene -> Engineer-> Devil's Punch Bowl, and a few other shorter ones in between I'm missing. It was a blast and the best way to see the best parts of the state. Narrowness of path down to devils punch bowl is very hairy. Felt way more dangerous than anything else we did.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Do you have the Fun-trek guidebook on Colorado off-road trails? That thing is an invaluable Rosetta Stone to almost 200 trails in Colorado.

GPS, mile markers, pics, advice, and very detailed maps.

Crested butte/Taylor park & reservoir are GREAT bases of operation for some of the gnarliest trails in CO.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
My brother planned out the 3 day overlanding trip, so he had something of the like.

Agree with Crested Butte area being a great jump point. My family had gone there for something like 50 years every sumner extending back multiple generations. Not quite the gnarly-ness of the San Juan's, but seems like more access to pristine rivers and ponds than anywhere in the state.
ChoppinDs40
AG
San Juans have plenty but getting to places takes forever down that way. Not a lot of good roads and it's still very remote.

We're looking at buying land around pagosa springs/Southfork. I don't expect that area will ever really develop like the I70 corridor, which is what I like.
ChoppinDs40
AG
'03ag said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

That's coming down right? I remember there being water there. Where I'm thinking is pretty rutted/washed out and very steep.

Maybe it's been worked on.

Just watched some YouTube videos of that trail. I feel like it's been widened and fixed in some areas. That or I'm thinking of some of the many side trails up that way.

Nonetheless, nice job to the top in a GX.

Get a little lift in that bad boy and some KO2s (and skid plates).

it's an LX. So no plans for a lift any time soon beyond fiddling with height sensors. Armor all around . . . In due time for sure.

I actually just replaced an old set of K02s with these Firestone Destination XTs. I'm really happy with how they handled the whole trip, on road and off. So far they seem like a great value and much lighter than a K02. 33" which is a little over stock. If anything my next move would be a full spare set of lower offset 17s with 35" MTs.
(36) Goose lake time laps, Red River NM - YouTube

video of trip up Goose lake last year. With a decent driver, you could do this in a 2wd tahoe.
'03ag
Unless they edited out all the hard bits there's not much there
ChoppinDs40
AG
Exactly. People don't know what "hard" is. Just so many flatlanders up in Red River to really see what is difficult.

That road is traveled so much there are nice little dirt tracks even in the rocky sections. The shelf road at the beginning is a little tight but you aren't going to roll it down a 2,000ft rock drop off.
reddog90
AG
A friend got some great shots of Marge and the other wagons at the BCC meet yesterday.

https://instagr.am/p/Cgf6GATMoAp
Centerpole90
AG
Alubox spotted.

Marge looks road ready!

Double wrench also doing sas?
DirtyMikesBoys
AG
Hilltop Adventures

Drove past this guy on 45 in Houston today.
JB
AG
Were yall watching this one?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-toyota-land-cruiser-fj60-44/

RNM
reddog90
AG
DirtyMikesBoys said:

Hilltop Adventures

reddog90
AG
DirtyMikesBoys said:

Hilltop Adventures

Man I just looked through their instagram and that's an incredibly well traveled family. And it's amazing they do that with two little kids. I can barely make it to the ranch for a weekend with my two.
El Sucio
This thread is awesome.
I'll have to give it a read from the beginning when I have some downtime. I love these 4wd Toyotas.
AgCMT
AG
El Sucio said:

This thread is awesome.
I'll have to give it a read from the beginning when I have some downtime. I love these 4wd Toyotas.
I've read just about the whole thing. It's been a great place for me to try to figure out which LC to jump into. Still don't know...
El Sucio
What are you thinking? I'd look into an earlier 200 series or a late year model of a GX 460. Maybe a GX470 as well but they are getting high priced and will have high miles.
AgCMT
AG
El Sucio said:

What are you thinking? I'd look into an earlier 200 series or a late year model of a GX 460. Maybe a GX470 as well but they are getting high priced and will have high miles.
I love the 62's but will probably end up going with something newer since its a daily driver. I went through a restoration project about 15 years ago with an old 75' Scout. I'm not sure my wife would be onboard this time around. Although we had to sell that one to help with a down payment on our house...so I have that card to play.
El Sucio
I love those, classic styling. It's really cool seeing older land cruisers driving around.
Naveronski
AG
OEFM is selling their 70 series:
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3304765
Centerpole90
AG
I know this isn't the entertainment board, but this is where I got the book recommendation so I'll ask:

I'm halfway through reading The Terminal List, am I good to go for watching the Amazon series after this or does the tv series draw from the next books too?
AggieGunslinger
AG
Season 1 is book 1.
Centerpole90
AG
Thank you.
Centerpole90
AG
Solid Axle Summit kicks off today. One of our own is up there wheeling it with them.

I am following this MUD thread, and peek every evening to see if I can catch a shot of Marge - to make sure her rubber side is down the the metal parts are up. This link is to the page: today.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/sas-6-official-thread-aug-1-5-2022.1274142/page-46#post-14547842
'03ag
Boy this seems like a good get for someone. 1 owner 200 with less than 90k on the clock

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2679601215517178/?ref=facebook_story_share
MTTANK
AG
Mustard cruiser sighting in watersound. On family vacation and seen plenty of Ags.

GIG 'EM
reddog90
AG
Well Marge made the trek to SAS and back just fine. I wheeled the **** out of her and she never let me down. I have a punch list for next year already but that will wait until it's not 100* in my garage and I have worked through my honey-do list. I did medano pass, mineral creek, engineer, corkscrew, california, hurricane, yankee boy, imogene, governor basin and sydney basin, many of those multiple times. I will have to hit poughkeepsie and black bear next year. I'll post some more pictures later.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.