Landcruisers

519,955 Views | 3498 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by AgCMT
RVAg02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Crap. Just when I thought I'd made the decision on the 275/70. Last question: you notice a big MPG hit when going up to those?
aggiepaintrain
AG
MPG unchanged.
RVAg02
reddog90
AG
Centerpole90 said:

Show her this. If she doesn't see the beauty in it... you may be in trouble.

https://instagr.am/p/BKwOg8FAP_l

That guy has nice taste in patina.
stevopike
AG
great thread, here is my 03 that I had for 5 years, and 08 I have currently

reddog90
AG
Any ags in Houston have a 40 that would be willing to give me a ride around the block some time? I think I want one but I haven't ridden in one before.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
reddog90 said:

Any ags in Houston have a 40 that would be willing to give me a ride around the block some time? I think I want one but I haven't ridden in one before.
I plan on pulling mine out of storage in the next month or so, and getting her cleaned up for some cooler weather.

ILikeTacos
AG
reddog90 said:

Leaf sprung short wheel base vehicle with a school bus size steering wheel. They aren't the best driving vehicles in the world but a ton of fun!
The Wonderer
AG
AG 07 said:

reddog90 said:

Leaf sprung short wheel base vehicle with a school bus size steering wheel. They aren't the best driving vehicles in the world but a ton of fun!
Neither is what I'm about to buy, but that's not stopping me.
reddog90
AG
Let me know if you are ever available to show me your truck. I'll bring you some beer.
HBCanine08
AG
The Wonderer said:

AG 07 said:

reddog90 said:

Neither is what I'm about to buy, but that's not stopping me.
What are you buying?
Centerpole90
AG
https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/2888521/last#last
HBCanine08
AG
Centerpole90 said:

GD, Tony Buzbee Jr. over here
The Wonderer
AG
HBCanine08 said:

Centerpole90 said:

There are worse shoes to try and fill.
Centerpole90
ILikeTacos
AG
We have all bought silly things that don't drive well. I once bought a fire truck on a whim...
The Wonderer
AG
AG 07 said:

We have all bought silly things that don't drive well. I once bought a fire truck on a whim...
But did you live inside the Houston loop and have the intent to daily at least a couple times a week?
ILikeTacos
AG
The Wonderer said:

AG 07 said:

But did you live inside the Houston loop and have the intent to daily at least a couple times a week?
No and no.
Centerpole90
AG
texrover91
AG
The Wonderer said:

HBCanine08 said:

Centerpole90 said:

There are worse shoes to try and fill.

Add some firepower to you purchase

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/700895220
Post removed:
by user
ILikeTacos
AG
Lol at 43 or 45 running for sub 10k
texrover91
AG
I test drove a $5kish sample for friends in dallas and I wouldn't have driven for very long without dropping a grand or more

Brakes are a big deal - ****ty old drum brakes and crappy steering are not a good combo

Also had typical rust but managable

But you're also talking pre-76/77/78 prices

I drove a great bone stock '78 for a friend and it was $14k with holes in the corners but it was all original

My advice would be go with an earlier year model and hit Craigslist

Yo can find some good examples all over but I ended up shipping two from California in the 8-10k range with no major rust - one a 76 and the other a 78

Just be prepared for moving in the slow lane if you keep them original - which is what I prefer

Centerpole90
AG
Sub $10k any FJxx is glikely oing to be a pretty big project. I glanced around Texas CL listings last night at 40s and saw very little under $10k that wasn't a major undertaking - things past the patina territory into rust bucket. Using asking price as a guide most were 10-15k before you got into projects that I'd consider starting points that were manageable if you wanted to have a driving project vs a minimally operable one.

I have seen some some on occasion that were probably neat FJs that I paid little attention to because of the SBC in them. I think most on this thread prefer the original power plant - but I've wondered if there aren't some buying opportunities there. I don't know what it would take to get the 2F back in there ($ wise) and I've often wondered - will a 235 or 250 chevy 6 go in there in lieu of the 2F?
reddog90
AG
What does a 43 with patina but no major rust, and needs some mechanical work run for?
ILikeTacos
AG
reddog90 said:

What does a 43 with patina but no major rust, and needs some mechanical work run for?
I honestly couldn't tell you, most 43's are like trying to find a needle in haystack. If I can remember right they weren't originally sold in the US, so they would have to be imported, which isn't an issue except Land Cruisers are work vehicles in most countries with left hand drive, so they are high in mileage.

I will admit my knowledge is real rusty, it has been a long time since I was in that scene. Back in 05-06 I got the bright idea to buy my dad a 40 for his birthday, he was going through some rough medical stuff at the time. I bought him a giant POS '78 from Australia because it was different, had a full float rear axle and H41 (if I am remembering the model numbers right) transmission with the actual granny gear, but over the next few years he was able to transform it into something worthwhile. He just added Fuel Injection this year to it to make it a 2FE (?) I guess you would call it. Before and after of it:

TxAg20
AG
jayelbee said:

Where would one look to get an old FJ40/43/45 that drives and needs a lot of TLC, but is in decent shape for its age (rust)? What's the about the cost? Sub $10k?

I'd really love to get one and might finally be in a position to do it once I sell my old house.

Central America
Centerpole90
AG
What fuel injection route did he go? Mine has a Hooey 4bbl and is waaaaayyyy over carbed. I've considered looking for a factory manifold and Asin carb - but could be swayed...
ILikeTacos
AG
Centerpole90 said:

What fuel injection route did he go? Mine has a Hooey 4bbl and is waaaaayyyy over carbed. I've considered looking for a factory manifold and Asin carb - but could be swayed...
https://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/product/toyota-tbi-complete-sytem/
reddog90
AG
TxAg20 said:

jayelbee said:

Where would one look to get an old FJ40/43/45 that drives and needs a lot of TLC, but is in decent shape for its age (rust)? What's the about the cost? Sub $10k?

I'd really love to get one and might finally be in a position to do it once I sell my old house.

Central America
Have you done this?
Post removed:
by user
Streetfighter 02
AG
Actually a group buy would be beneficial. You can pack at least three cruisers in a shipping container. Why send it with an empty slot?

Tu Carro Get after it.
Streetfighter 02
AG
http://austousa.com/

Or go down under.
texrover91
AG
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/1982-fj43-toyota-land-cruiser/6302013018.html

FJ43 F/S Dallas
reddog90
AG
That's an awesome cruiser and nice work. I am a little confused on the full floater rears. Only semi floaters were available in US models right? And does a full floater only give you more carrying capacity or is it more capable offroad?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.