Landcruisers

515,786 Views | 3484 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Naveronski
reddog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Excellent work CP.
reddog90
AG
Streetfighter my bumper install was pushed to next weekend.

I built a storage plate for the back of Marge to keep **** from going through my back window bouncing around in CO. I started with a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" sanded ply from Lowes and had it cut down to my desired dimension, then started with some Cardboard Aided Design.

It was nerve racking, but I drilled 4 holes for rivnuts through the floor of the truck to secure the plate. I got the plate situated perfectly and then center punched at each rivnut for anchor bolt holes.

Primed and painted the plywood to give it some protection and laid out the fridge slide, goal zero yeti and L track sections.

Centerpunched all those holes, drilled them to 5/16 and added 1/4x20 x 9/16 tnuts to mount everything securely to the plywood.

I grabbed a 6x8 "ecorug" from lowes which is a polyester indoor/outdoor rug like the indoor/outdoor carpet they sell off the roll. Glued it on with 3m hi strength 90 spray and 1/2" staples.

Favorite part was burning holes through carpet with sacrificial screwdrivers. Hat tip to CP for a clean look.

I built a fridge cord for my new Iceco fridge using 12 gauge zip cord, heat shrink solder sleeves, and anderson plugs. Put this in some 1/4" wire loom and a 10x11mm cable chain to keep the cord out of the slide.

Just have a couple more details to clean up and then it will go in the truck. It's a simple design that leaves the back open for normal daily driving and errands, and can be removed from the truck entirely pretty easily. The L track screws got blue loktite, but I am using split washers on the fridge slide screws so it can be removed from the plate easily. I might build a single drawer next year, but we will see how this system works first.
Centerpole90
AG
I've enjoyed keeping up with this. It looks professionally built!! Well done.
Centerpole90
AG
Curiously, what unit did they decide on? I've never been in a 55 and guess that I assumed the dash was like a FJ45LV which is exactly like the 40.

I'm impressed with the look and fit of the Vintage Air Gen IV... in the PROMOTIONAL PICTURES. I've heard they can be a bear. I've installed two Vintage Airs in older chevy trucks and was always impressed with the fit, finish, and performance of the units.
Centerpole90
AG
Time in the shop is about to drop to zero for a few months so it was important to me to get this back together and running before that happened. Now that's done and daydreaming will have to do for a while.

cruiserag2020
Took a trip to Big Bend last week. Already want to go back!

Complete Idiot
Big Bend is amazing, hot time of year to go
cruiserag2020
Facts. It was hot but loved every minute. Plan on going back again in November/December.
reddog90
AG
Where all did you stay? Did you do any of the river road?
reddog90
AG
Centerpole90 said:

Time in the shop is about to drop to zero for a few months so it was important to me to get this back together and running before that happened. Now that's done and daydreaming will have to do for a while.

That's a fine machine right there.
reddog90
AG
Storage deck is done. Two setup options:

cruiserag2020
Sorry just saw this today. I stayed at Chisos Basin and did day trips. Didn't make it to river road this trip but we have plans to go in the winter to spend more time in the back country.

This trip was spent on Ross Maxwell drive, a short drive down old Maverick road and the surrounding areas for short hikes/drives.
'03ag
Genesis Overland meet up in Frisco

Brought the trailer eventhough I've yet to go camping in it.

MR Gadsden
Picked up th Pig in Rowlett and drove her home to Midland yesterday. The AC was nice but the engine ran hot while it was on. I'll have to come up with a solution for that.

Centerpole90
AG
I am going to follow this very closely because it's in my plan to also do VA. Please think out loud/document your work through here. Thx.
reddog90
AG
cruiserag2020 said:

Sorry just saw this today. I stayed at Chisos Basin and did day trips. Didn't make it to river road this trip but we have plans to go in the winter to spend more time in the back country.

This trip was spent on Ross Maxwell drive, a short drive down old Maverick road and the surrounding areas for short hikes/drives.
Awesome. Let me know if you want any intel on doing the river road when you go. I've only done it once but I took some notes on the campsites we stayed at and other ones we passed along the drive. It's a much different experience than staying in the basin.
Streetfighter 02
AG
There is only one camp site on the river road with shade. It's called gauging station. It's right on the Rio Grande and the mesquites are tall enough to sit under or pitch a tent under. I recommend it. Watch out for rattle snakes in the huge boulders. My buddy from Maine practically stepped on one before the sun was up. Fortunately it was in the 30's and the snake wasn't moving.
reddog90
AG
Yeah it's a lot of this country. But it's worth it.

reddog90
AG
Got my 4plus bumpers on Marge. This was a total PITA to do honestly. Nothing complicated or technical just a lot of work and it's hot. The frame rivets fought me every step of the way. Dave missed a couple custom things I asked for and we are currently communicating on how to work that out now or after my trip to CO. The fit and finish on these things is great and I feel like it completes the truck. 10/10 will shop from Dave again.

Centerpole90
AG
Did that bumper use those rivet holes for bolting ? Maybe enlarge a few?? Or did you drill out new ones? Your basket…. Is that for 2 cans?
Streetfighter 02
AG
Damn that's nice.
reddog90
AG
Centerpole90 said:

Did that bumper use those rivet holes for bolting ? Maybe enlarge a few?? Or did you drill out new ones? Your basket…. Is that for 2 cans?
Yes. You knock out the rivets and the holes left over fit the 7/16-14 grade 8 bolts that come with the bumper. 4 per side for front bumper and 6 per side for rear.

8 rivets in front to knock off the frame horns. 8 rivets to remove rear cross member, and another 14 to remove rear frame horns and the ones that hold the body mounts on (body mounts are also welded to frame). The one circled in yellow and the rear cross member rivet holes are not used. Dave told me these 6 bolts per side on the rear bumper carry more than 50,000 lb of shear strength. I ground, wire wheeled, primed and painted afterwards. Then installed the bumpers the next day.

I'll send you a pic with my scepter cans in the basket.
reddog90
AG
Streetfighter 02 said:

Damn that's nice.
Thanks!
reddog90
AG
Last minute CO prep has included getting my rear driveshaft balanced and rebuilt locally and installing new OEM TC output seals while it was out. Fresh dust deflectors, stake nuts, driveshaft hardware and gear oil of course. No more TC leaking in my garage now.

My water pump started weeping a couple weeks ago, so that needed replaced before I make a 3,000 mile trek in this heat. But while I am in there, I might as well swap in the better 3fe green base fan clutch. And I might as well replace all 3 belts since I don't know their age. And I might as well seal up my fan shroud to the rad.

I got it all in and then broke my alternator lock down bolt.....which is NLA. ToyotaMatt has a kit for like $75 and his storefront is closed. Mud to the rescue with some random Toyota parts that are readily available to replace this assembly for $12. Will post pics of how it turns out.

K Bo
AG
RVAg02 said:

Ok, bought some different wheels (long story) and will be selling the Rock Warriors.

Give me a shout at b phillips at ydklaw dot com if you are interested.

K Bo gets first dibs.

Looking on Mud, these things are going for over 300 per wheel without tires, and over 2k if there are tires (although my tires are several years old).

This is for a full 5 wheel/tire set plus lugs and key. KO2 LT285/70/17

Here are some pictures (forgive the caliche dust). Let me know if anyone is interested and we can work something out. Rather sell here than Mud

Selling these RW's I bought from RVAg02. I was going to have them refinished but I've lost interest in that project, plus I have tons of life left in my Coopers so they're going to be sitting for awhile. I'm going to clean them up and get some pics posted tomorrow. 5 wheels, 5 tires, 4 rings w/ all bolts, and full lug nut/key set. Just looking to get what I'm in them for $1600 in Houston.
'03ag
oh no
K Bo
AG
More detailed pics can be found here.

Like I said, my plan was to have the wheels refinished. The spare/5th wheel is in fantastic condition and I likely would have had the other four finished to match that wheel. 4 new style rings with the water slot, bolts for all 5 wheels, lug nuts/keys, and 4 center caps. Tires have a little bit of tread left but based on the date codes likely need to be replaced. $1600 in Houston.
Complete Idiot
Annual beach trip to Padre Island National Seashore

Family of five and everything we need for a short three day trip, sandy beach crap on hitch carrier, cruises quietly at 90 on the toll road, AHC works fine, hit 224k on the odometer. Sucks gas of course.

RVAg02
AG
Those are amazing, GLWS.

Sorry they didn't work out for you.
Centerpole90
AG
How far North of the Mansfield jetties do you stop?
Complete Idiot
Centerpole90 said:

How far North of the Mansfield jetties do you stop?
Oh, way north - only 3.5 miles down the sand. I drive near the 15 mph speed limit and my family gets impatient when we pass wide open swaths of beach. A friend of mine drove down near to the jetty in his Jeep, I should join him on an adult only trip and make it more of an adventure.

When there are still large campers or Honda Civics going further south than you, it doesn't feel very Land Cruisey.
reddog90
AG
Do yall camp on the beach?
Complete Idiot
reddog90 said:

Do yall camp on the beach?
I have with friends, but that's not something the family would have a consensus on. We get Airbnb rentals up north on the island, and drive down each morning for the day. We spend 6 or 7 hours then we are good for the day.
Centerpole90
AG
I have long admired the folks I see camping at the North jetty of the East Cut because I know they put in a heck of a drive to get there. I've frequented it all my life, but via boat; so just a short 15 minute ride from Port.

The other day Reddog asked how far I was from PINS and I replied it's a complicated... because it's over 100 miles to get on the beach to turn around and head back south. I have this fear though, that getting that close the beach, the 40 will become a pile of rust overnight.
Streetfighter 02
AG

If you're not watching The Terminal List on Amazon Prime the main character drives a very nice FJ62. The above walkaround video doesn't show it having any swing outs on the rear but it looked to me like a 4Plus bumper in the show. It's a pretty good show. I can even get my wife to watch with me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.