Landcruisers

522,581 Views | 3498 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by AgCMT
Complete Idiot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm not a fan of it even if well implemented, I just wanted to attempt humor by suggesting that particular luxury feature would make/break a LX/Cruiser purchase and also highlight my ability to determine if it has it from the 3 photos in the ad.

I had an Audi sedan that if using the cruise it enforced dynamic cruise control. My current commuter allows you to choose dynamic or old school cruise, which I really appreciate.
TxAg20
AG
vmiaptetr said:

TxAg20 said:

TxAg20 said:

Added an FZJ80 to the garage. This will likely be my oldest son's first car. He's been dying to have something to work on, so we'll plan on this being a family project. My neighbor had this LC sitting in his garage and mentioned a couple of months ago he should sell it. I couldn't quit thinking about it and researched 80s for a few weeks before sending him an email to see if he was still interested in selling. He said he was and gave me a fair deal. Pricing on the 80s isn't easy to figure out. The ones with ~200K miles and no rust are asking $4K-$14K. The cheap ones are gone in less than a day and the expensive ones sit. Not many listed in the $7K-11K range that I could find.

The previous owner gave me a file with the last ~10 years of maintenance records. Just a bunch of leaks repaired and failed parts replaced. $500-$1,500 at a time.

On the list so far:
Repaint
Rebuild the 1FZ-FE (runs good right now with 173K miles, but no record of head gasket R&R, AC has slow freon leak, and PS pump is whining. Those are my excuses to yank motor, maybe add a turbo, but I haven't found a good bolt on kit with intercooler yet)
Replace all upholstery, recover steering wheel
Regear to 4.88 and add lockers (no factory lockers)
Add aux fuel tank or OEM sub tank
Aftermarket rear bumper (already has ARB front)

Almost 2 year update:

I was better at ordering parts than getting the parts on the Cruiser, so I decided to send it to South to North Land Cruisers (SNLC) in Idaho last summer. I shipped it up in October and things have started moving quick in the last few months. I was hesitant to post on here as I don't want to challenge Streetfighter's slow build record at Brave Motorsports. Now that the Cruiser is taken all the way apart and making steps towards coming back together, I'm a little more confident.

SNLC started a build thread on Mud if anyone wants to follow along:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1995-full-resto-build.1280394/

Well…was it worth it? I expect a full report when you get that rig back to the house. Congrats, and good on you for being patient.

It was worth it to me. I think Ian covered everything pretty well in the build thread on ih8mud. I'll leave Ian's final walkaround videos here for closure on this thread.

aggiepaintrain
AG
I have seen one other done like this, and perhaps not even as nice as this one. Congrats on a sweet sweet rig.
It was the Citadel build and I didn't think the donor vehicle was a worthy candidate and he dropped major money into it. I think he said the paint job was $10k+ and then spent $5k on Xpel (which is not something I'd do)

PS: the Land Cruiser is coming back, Toyota badged....you heard it here first
Naveronski
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

PS: the Land Cruiser is coming back, Toyota badged....you heard it here third-ish
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/comeback-toyota-land-cruiser-returning-usa
K Bo
AG
Nowhere near as awesome at TxAg20's build (I read the whole thread on Mud multiple times and wow!) but should have this back next week.

MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
It looked great. As parts continue to arrive at my house, I could see myself going the same route as you. I have enough self-awareness that my attention to detail is nowhere near his.
TxAg20
AG
Very nice!

What mods are you doing?
K Bo
AG
Nothing crazy. It's been sitting for awhile so just giving it a refresh.

Ironman 2" stage 2 lift
295/75/16 Cooper AT3 XLT
Full brake service, new rotors/pads
Full A/C service
Flush all fluids and change all filters
New windshield
Rear axle seals
'03ag
Wrenches, AC, and the US Open. Not a bad way to save $900

'03ag
Done. It looks like they've finally made a real update to the part. Raised section has a much more low profile and more fillet around the edges. Should last beyond my ownership now.

Woods Ag
AG
I have gone out twice today to overview putting in an upgraded headlight wiring harness and walked away.

I've turned so many 1 hour jobs into 1 week jobs that I am gun-shy at the moment.

Drinking a beer at a local brewery by myself (wife and kid are sick) and watching YouTube videos for inspiration.

Took the LC here
drumboy
AG
Not as cool as a RTT or ADV camper, but that is an air conditioned yurt. Splashway campground, wife is probably never camping again....

reddog90
AG
drumboy said:

Not as cool as a RTT or ADV camper, but that is an air conditioned yurt. Splashway campground, wife is probably never camping again....

Is that by accident or design?
aggiepaintrain
AG
Will this hit $150k?
97 unlocked with 4700 miles

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-toyota-land-cruiser-fzj80-70/
TxAg20
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

Will this hit $150k?
97 unlocked with 4700 miles

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-toyota-land-cruiser-fzj80-70/
I'll guess $130-140K.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
This thread is dangerous
Centerpole90
AG
I told you so.
reddog90
AG
https://instagr.am/p/Ctx_pBsuEys

Cool driving footage in this.
CenterHillAg
AG
Is it just me or has the older Land Cruiser market cooled off? I've been casually looking at buying an FJ 60 to tinker with the last couple months, and it seems like prices have stagnated then dropped in a matter of weeks. What would y'all think the bottom would be as far as prices?
Centerpole90
AG
I don't know if everyone caught JeremiahJohnson's thread on Overlanding Designs. This may not exactly be a 'collaboration' since I didn't do anything but take the truck apart and put it back together - but JJ and his AI magic make it look like something right out of National Geographic. So cool.

MTTANK
AG
Centerpole90 said:

I don't know if everyone caught JeremiahJohnson's thread on Overlanding Designs. This may not exactly be a 'collaboration' since I didn't do anything but take the truck apart and put it back together - but JJ and his AI magic make it look like something right out of National Geographic. So cool.

Love your cruiser man, never get tired of new pictures of it!
aggiepaintrain
AG
$165k plus fees

Centerpole90
AG
That is kind to say. Lots of limitations with the old girl - most related to speed and operator comfort… few with her capabilities. I appreciate the compliment.
reddog90
AG
Is your truck done yet?
reddog90
AG
Will your highland 60 support a family of 5 (three littles) for a week off grid? Unlimited mileage so I can pull it to CO and back?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

$165k plus fees

Judging by name of seller, he was probably off loading this in order to purchase something that could do at least 88 mph.
K Bo
AG
reddog90 said:

Is your truck done yet?
No. LC of H had some setbacks getting it buttoned up. I will be very disappointed if I don't get it back by Saturday.
'03ag
reddog90 said:

Will your highland 60 support a family of 5 (three littles) for a week off grid? Unlimited mileage so I can pull it to CO and back?
The highland 60 is not mine, it's my brother's. Did you see him post it somewhere? But yes it is unlimited mileage. Someone interested in buying one for themselves just rented it and took it to Silverton and Ouray for over a week. They visited the builder while they were there.

Tough for me to say about the family of 5. Depends on the family and the kids ages. I'd reach out to my brother(Brian, hedges1 TA handle) and see what he thinks.

I have my Conqueror 490 listed as well. Had a family of 5(kids 9 and under) take it to Ouray for 10 days. Have another guy taking it to Silverton for a week soon.
Centerpole90
AG
CenterHillAg said:

Is it just me or has the older Land Cruiser market cooled off? I've been casually looking at buying an FJ 60 to tinker with the last couple months, and it seems like prices have stagnated then dropped in a matter of weeks. What would y'all think the bottom would be as far as prices?

Just read back and saw this post CHA. I haven't been looking at LC much on marketplace but every now and then a 40 series will show up in the 'For You' offerings - I think those have definitely come down from a couple years ago. Not sure about the 60 series - they still seem to be enjoying the surge of popularity.
TxAg20
AG
I've been watching super nice Land Cruisers and 911 GT3s on BaT for about a year andI'm perpetually $30K low on what I think they're worth.

Looks like prices are still going up.

There was an 11,000 or 13,000 mile, white, FZJ80 on BaT a few months ago that went in the 130's. If 7-9K miles makes a $30K difference, I would be afraid to drive it.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Going to list my 03 LX470 with 150k
in B/CS next week before I carpet bomb the internet. Over 70 Carfax records. Undercarriage clean. Michelins. Powder coated 06/07 wheels, Wet Okole front seat covers. Ceramic tint all the way around.
TB/WP done at 125k
$23k
aggiepaintrain@gmail.com

CenterHillAg
AG
Centerpole90 said:

CenterHillAg said:

Just read back and saw this post CHA. I haven't been looking at LC much on marketplace but every now and then a 40 series will show up in the 'For You' offerings - I think those have definitely come down from a couple years ago. Not sure about the 60 series - they still seem to be enjoying the surge of popularity.

Yeah it seems hit and miss on the 60's, I was watching one on BAT today that sold for several thousand more than I expected, and then you'll see other auctions that looked like it was a steal. The 40's have definitely dropped, there's one local that I've heard the owner wants to sell, I haven't run into him yet to find out. I was gung ho on buying one pretty quick, but my wife called me out for lack of storage for another vehicle. Fine… I guess I'll have to build a barn.
K Bo
AG
spoke to LC of H yesterday and they expect the truck to be aligned today and ready to go. Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to pick it up til Saturday. I'll post plenty of pics when she's home.
Centerpole90
AG
Quote:

but my wife called me out for lack of storage for another vehicle. Fine… I guess I'll have to build a barn.

Hangar. What kind of pilot are you? Y'all all keep your cool sh*t at the hangar.
CenterHillAg
AG
I'm one of those self-hating pilots, I try not to draw attention to my flying or associate with pilots outside of a few fellow ag pilots. Flying for a living turns you crusty and bitter in a hurry, don't get me started on farmers...

But yes, it'll house my Husky in the front, with plenty of workspace/toy storage in the back. I've got 750 ft to get airborne before I get to the dirt road, that'll be plenty of space.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.