Landcruisers

522,618 Views | 3498 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by AgCMT
reddog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2024-lexus-gx-first-look-review?slide=23

Lots to like here
TSJ
AG
I had no expectation they would knock it out of the park so well.
aggiedata
AG
So beautiful if this is the new US Land Cruiser based on the new GX.

K Bo
AG
I really want to like the new GX but the styling just isn't quite doing it for me, yet.
ILikeTacos
AG
Lots of Defender vibes here and I am not mad!
'03ag
Uh oh
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I'm gonna be honest. I have no idea what I am looking at.
aggiepaintrain
AG
'03ag said:

Uh oh

I believe it's the dreaded hairline radiator crack in a 200 series
'03ag
aggiepaintrain said:

'03ag said:

Uh oh

I believe it's the dreaded hairline radiator crack in a 200 series

Yeah and I'm not messing around with that. Big colorado trip planned at the end of July. No loose ends.
MTTANK
AG
That's odd, doesn't even show any discoloration from heat cycles like the 100's get. Good eye on your part
reddog90
AG
Man good eye, very hard to see that one. I assume you have gone through the mud thread on this and will do all the other "while you're in there" items as well?

What year and mileage?
'03ag
2013, 99k.

I'm only on page 15 or so of 80+

So far was just planning on the radiator plus some hoses. I've seen some talk about water pumps but I wouldn't call that a while you're in there job.
Centerpole90
AG
That's the thing about mud. It's is such a research stockpile that is so expansive it can be hard to digest it all.

When I was in the weeds in mud working on my 40 I'd often find I was reading posts over 10 years old. That's when I came to the realization (at least with the older models); if you shut it down today and never allow another post - you wouldn't miss a thing… IT'S ALL THERE. It's crazy. There are few other platforms that enjoy such an expansive and accessible knowledge base.
drumboy
AG
What all is recommended when replacing the radiator? Mine was replaced 30k miles ago and they replaced the water pump, belts/tensioner, and starter at the same time.

Thanks PO…
reddog90
AG
Yeah that thread is a bit overwhelming. This post is helpful:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2008-2018-radiator-failure-and-public-service-announcement.917447/page-56#post-13317020
reddog90
AG
Here we go!

https://fb.watch/l88GAiGvs5/

https://instagr.am/p/CtasgURO6UO
reddog90
AG
Well the caption isn't showing above, but it reads: "Nothing better than a comeback story. The legend returns… #LetsGoPlaces"
Centerpole90
AG
Clearly -

The 40 series is BACK!!!!
reddog90
AG
That would be cool. Who knows what subtle hints they are implying with the 40 series badges and colors. I think I saw a pig in there as well.
Centerpole90
AG
I did too. I was making a funny. I'd anticipate future ads w other badges.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/comeback-toyota-land-cruiser-returning-usa

EDIT: Don't judge me by using Fox News as the source. I just google Toyota Land Cruiser, and it was the first news report that popped up.
'03ag
Wish we were getting a legit 300, but the GX looks like a homerun so I'm sure this will be cool.
Aggietaco
AG
'03ag said:

Wish we were getting a legit 300, but the GX looks like a homerun so I'm sure this will be cool.
It may be. Since they are supposedly sold out of the 300 through 2026, maybe they are ramping up production to add the 3-4,000 they'll ship to the US as a 2026 MY.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
TxAg20 said:

TxAg20 said:

Added an FZJ80 to the garage. This will likely be my oldest son's first car. He's been dying to have something to work on, so we'll plan on this being a family project. My neighbor had this LC sitting in his garage and mentioned a couple of months ago he should sell it. I couldn't quit thinking about it and researched 80s for a few weeks before sending him an email to see if he was still interested in selling. He said he was and gave me a fair deal. Pricing on the 80s isn't easy to figure out. The ones with ~200K miles and no rust are asking $4K-$14K. The cheap ones are gone in less than a day and the expensive ones sit. Not many listed in the $7K-11K range that I could find.

The previous owner gave me a file with the last ~10 years of maintenance records. Just a bunch of leaks repaired and failed parts replaced. $500-$1,500 at a time.

On the list so far:
Repaint
Rebuild the 1FZ-FE (runs good right now with 173K miles, but no record of head gasket R&R, AC has slow freon leak, and PS pump is whining. Those are my excuses to yank motor, maybe add a turbo, but I haven't found a good bolt on kit with intercooler yet)
Replace all upholstery, recover steering wheel
Regear to 4.88 and add lockers (no factory lockers)
Add aux fuel tank or OEM sub tank
Aftermarket rear bumper (already has ARB front)

Almost 2 year update:

I was better at ordering parts than getting the parts on the Cruiser, so I decided to send it to South to North Land Cruisers (SNLC) in Idaho last summer. I shipped it up in October and things have started moving quick in the last few months. I was hesitant to post on here as I don't want to challenge Streetfighter's slow build record at Brave Motorsports. Now that the Cruiser is taken all the way apart and making steps towards coming back together, I'm a little more confident.

SNLC started a build thread on Mud if anyone wants to follow along:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1995-full-resto-build.1280394/

Well…was it worth it? I expect a full report when you get that rig back to the house. Congrats, and good on you for being patient.
Naveronski
AG
TxAg20 said:

TxAg20 said:

Added an FZJ80 to the garage. This will likely be my oldest son's first car. He's been dying to have something to work on, so we'll plan on this being a family project. My neighbor had this LC sitting in his garage and mentioned a couple of months ago he should sell it. I couldn't quit thinking about it and researched 80s for a few weeks before sending him an email to see if he was still interested in selling. He said he was and gave me a fair deal. Pricing on the 80s isn't easy to figure out. The ones with ~200K miles and no rust are asking $4K-$14K. The cheap ones are gone in less than a day and the expensive ones sit. Not many listed in the $7K-11K range that I could find.

The previous owner gave me a file with the last ~10 years of maintenance records. Just a bunch of leaks repaired and failed parts replaced. $500-$1,500 at a time.

On the list so far:
Repaint
Rebuild the 1FZ-FE (runs good right now with 173K miles, but no record of head gasket R&R, AC has slow freon leak, and PS pump is whining. Those are my excuses to yank motor, maybe add a turbo, but I haven't found a good bolt on kit with intercooler yet)
Replace all upholstery, recover steering wheel
Regear to 4.88 and add lockers (no factory lockers)
Add aux fuel tank or OEM sub tank
Aftermarket rear bumper (already has ARB front)

Almost 2 year update:

I was better at ordering parts than getting the parts on the Cruiser, so I decided to send it to South to North Land Cruisers (SNLC) in Idaho last summer. I shipped it up in October and things have started moving quick in the last few months. I was hesitant to post on here as I don't want to challenge Streetfighter's slow build record at Brave Motorsports. Now that the Cruiser is taken all the way apart and making steps towards coming back together, I'm a little more confident.

SNLC started a build thread on Mud if anyone wants to follow along:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1995-full-resto-build.1280394/

Very neat browsing the build thread this evening.

And recognizing a couple other screen names doing the same.
Centerpole90
AG
@vmiaptetr

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CspFRG5Oa_R/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==
Guitarsoup
AG
I miss my 100 but flew to Vegas and rented a car to make some quick hits to rack up some national parks with my 8yo son.

Just phone pics:

North Rim Grand Canyon National Park

Zion (River and B&W). We got stormed out in the afternoon

Bryce Canyon National Park

Horseshoe Bend

Antelope Canyon

Hover Dam

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
You gotta add these to the national park thread on the Travel board.
Guitarsoup
AG
Didn't know that existed.

I'll look it up once I get the real pics off my camera
Aggietaco
AG
Nice 2011 LX popped up on Austin CL yesterday:

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/manchaca-2011-lexus-lx570/7632239723.html

'03ag
That's a nice one
Complete Idiot
Missing dynamic cruise control, hard pass!
'03ag
Complete Idiot said:

Missing dynamic cruise control, hard pass!
having it on my 2013 . . . I wish i didn't. It's just not a good example of the technology.
drumboy
AG
Aggietaco said:

Nice 2011 LX popped up on Austin CL yesterday:

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/manchaca-2011-lexus-lx570/7632239723.html

Best year for the LX.

What's this "sensor lift"?
'03ag
Moving the height sensors at each corner so the computer thinks the truck is sitting lower than it really is.

Raises the ride height in all modes. I can't remember how much but it's at least an inch, maybe 2. Tons of info on Mud

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.