Landcruisers

522,664 Views | 3498 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by AgCMT
TarponChaser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I forget which specific model of Lexus "Land Cruiser" it was but a friend in Florida bought one with 140K miles and in excellent shape off one of his retired friends over there for $7500. I told him if he ever comes across one in the same condition and price range he damn well better call me and I'll cut a check then and there for it.
Aggietaco
AG
Still shopping for something for Mrs. AT. We're down to LC and LX after an extended test with the Sequoia and then having every minivan salesman we talked to steer us away from minivans...

I'm pushing hard for the LC, but hard to justify $6-8k more than a comparable LX, and the LX looks are finally growing on me.
'03ag
The LX is great. I think the LC is better looking too, but not worth the extra coin. And personally I think the AHC is superior in a number of ways.
Aggietaco
AG
The few things I don't like about the LX are still the motorized second and third rows, the roof rails that make dropping the head liner a requirement to install a real rack, and having to chop up or replace the rockers for some decent sliders/steps.

We're probably going to end up LX though. The LC's are just too few and far between on the used market.
'03ag
LX and LC roofs are identical. Only reason I can think of that you'd need to drop the headliner is if you drop the hardware through the holes, which is the same problem you'd have on a LC. Go slow, be careful.

I'm with you on the sliders. I think you saw I have some LC rockers to swap in. What year/mileage range you looking at?

Don't think I've posted yet but here are my TKOs waiting on install

Aggietaco
AG
Roofs are identical but the rails on the LX 200 series use different points than the LC, so you have to drop the head liner to install the mounting hardware. Not that we need a real rack right now, but not having the ability without some major work is mildly annoying.

And we're looking at 18+ LX and LC with as low of mileage as possible. Again, you can find a lot lower mileage LX's vs LC's.
'03ag
Ah I see this is 2016+ issue

I swapped to LC rack on my 2013 and it's all done easily from the top.
K Bo
AG
I'm not sure your timeframe but there's a greater than 50% chance my '21 LC with just under 30k mi will be for sale in the next few months, once I get the 80 up to snuff.
reddog90
AG
I admit my bias but I would hold out for a LC. Prices seem to still be coming down. I would think that trend will continue and we will see more become available when we finally see what version of LC we will get in a year or two. I think 20 and 21s will always demand a premium though. What is your reasoning for ruling out 16 & 17s?
Woods Ag
AG
That 80 will take your heart…

I'd like to sell my 250 Diesel and get something older for hauling bc I want to everyday drive the 80 now
K Bo
AG
haha, it's trying! I also might be a glutton for punishment.
Woods Ag
AG
yessir... me too. Every dang project I've taken on started out "simple. it'll only take a couple hours" and turned into me cussing for 4 days and taking 72 trips to O'Reilly's

I'm on day 4 of installing this "simple" snorkel. It took me 3 days of cussing to get the air intake rubber hose to connect to the snorkel, but once I figured it out it's really simple... Now I need my arm to grow 4 feet so i can reach back there and connect all the bolts.
Aggietaco
AG
I agree with you on the price trend, I've seen it live over the past 4 months. We do need a new car for Mrs. AT before the end of the summer, but would rather check that box sooner, we'll see. Deals didn't pan out yesterday for end of month, so we'll probably wait until end of June to pick things back up unless the right one pops up.
MTTANK
AG
Yes please!

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/98lxyBdd/1996-toyota-mega-cruiser
GIG 'EM
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Same place I got my LC from. He has a civilian one also for sale on their website.

https://northeastautoimports.com/263807/1996-Toyota-Megacruiser
reddog90
AG
If you're open to pre-18 there is a brandywine mica on mud that's been for sale for a little while.
Aggietaco
AG
I talked to him several weeks ago. Long drive, but it's still in consideration.
MTTANK
AG
I was thinking that might the place, I remember you speaking highly of him. 185k for the one you linked is crazy!
GIG 'EM
CaptnCarl
AG
Seeking some wisdom from this board…

Wife has given me the 'okay' to buy a Landcruiser. I'm looking at LX 470s and 100 series in the $12k range. There's quite a few all over Facebook marketplace, but they don't provide great info.

My knowledge goes as deep as undercarriage rust and timing belt replacement. Does anybody have any advice on where to shop and what to look for?
Guitarsoup
AG
CaptnCarl said:

Wife has given me the 'okay' to buy a Landcruiser. I'm looking at LX 470s and 100 series in the $12k range. There's quite a few all over Facebook marketplace, but they don't provide great info.

My knowledge goes as deep as undercarriage rust and timing belt replacement. Does anybody have any advice on where to shop and what to look for?
I bought mine off ih8mud from a guy in Phoenix.
CaptnCarl
AG
Did you fly to phoenix or mail a check?
Guitarsoup
AG
CaptnCarl said:

I flew to Phoenix, went to the bank and got a cashier's check and drove home.
aggiepaintrain
AG
CaptnCarl said:

autotrader
mud
ebay

FB is a waste of time.

Caution: A $12k cruiser is gonna need thousands in work. Look for oil leaks, much more to worry about than timing belts.
Rust is a no go
CaptnCarl
AG
Thanks for the input. Looking at something like this.

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/624562819554023/

There's plenty in the $25k range that I feel are overpriced for the pride factor and don't actually want to sell.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I got mine off of Cars and Bids.

ETA: Your money will go a lot further if you can handle getting a RHD model.
Woods Ag
AG
Bought my 80 series off Facebook searching in Colorado.

Flew in and had owner take me to the bank for a cashiers check once I checked it out,
'03ag
Wish me luck
'03ag
2nd trip to the hardware store in progess.

This is the swap to 2016+ LX brakes. Steering knuckle must be drilled out and I F'ed up my step bit immediately
'03ag
Success. All 4 mounting holes enlarged. No just need to move the lines over and bleed.
Centerpole90
AG
'03ag said:

No just need to move the lines over and bleed.
Let us know how that works out for ya.

ETA, seeing you work over that carpet makes me feel like I'm watching Pat Green perform live. Are you barefoot?
'03ag
It's my brother's garage. Which is tiled for some reason so he uses an old rug to protect it. It's a rental.

Everything seems good now.
Aggietaco
AG
I was interested in your flooring choices as well, but I really wanted to make sure you knew that doing your own brakes was DANGEROUS!!!
reddog90
AG
CaptnCarl said:

https://sleeoffroad.com/tech-zone/100-series-newbie-guide/

This is an excellent starting point for 100s
CaptnCarl
AG
Thank you!

I am currently eyeing a 100 and LX 470 on BaT. The LX has 77k miles.
Shane431
AG
CaptnCarl said:

Thank you!

I am currently eyeing a 100 and LX 470 on BaT. The LX has 77k miles.

You won't be getting a 77k 100 series for 12k.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.