Landcruisers

522,570 Views | 3498 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by AgCMT
Naveronski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
texrover91 said:

What's a triple locked '96 100 80 series with 150k worth

Paint is good but a few rough spots, some rust underneath but not terrible. AC is cold and electrical looks good (signals/indicators). OD and ECT work. T-case shifter heavy. Interior is stellar for its age but front seat motors need help and seats were recovered in PU.

Pretty bone stock and good mechanically but it was used on a ranch to carry hunters around in OKLA

Lockers check out but did notice a clunk on rough pavement at speed under the tunnel

are you buying or selling?
texrover91
AG
Buying hopefully
Centerpole90
AG
^
This is the spirit of an Ag that REALLY wants to come to the thread meat up!
Naveronski
AG
I also want to come to the meat up… but Jambo.

Centerpole90
AG
I know, I know. We will plan better in the future.
texrover91
AG
Hey I'm down - would enjoy meeting everyone and my kids would get a kick out of it
K Bo
AG
https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/houston-toyota-land-cruiser/7596606372.html
texrover91
AG
Is that more collectible than a FJ 73? Pricier for sure - I looked at a '92 for $22,5
texrover91
AG
So I pulled the carfax - it's a '93 not a '96

I'm going to assume a '93 is slightly less desirable than a '96 (?)

I'm at $19k now but I'd like it for less
Woods Ag
AG
Finally found what I was looking for for a decent price. Goal of the vehicle is to eventually create a part-time overland vehicle for the family and I to get out in the mountains a couple of times a year. I like to backpack, and hope to continue, but a lifetime of injuries is starting to add up and I don't know how muc more I got in me.

97 Land Cruiser - Stock - 300k miles - Picked it up for $12.5k
Triple Locked

Everything works except the driver and passenger seats need some help. Runs great. Much more to follow as I start tinkering with this thing.

First up I'll be taking the axels apart and re-sealing/gasketing them.

Opinions on Dobinson, OME, Ironman4x4 suspension lifts? I was going to go with a 2" lift, but others are saying I should go 3-4".

I'd post pictures, but I vowed to never give TexAgs a dollar anymore until they purge the miserable *******s from the premium forum. So imagine a black stock 97 LC for now.
Aggietaco
AG
Post to imgur and share link here.
Centerpole90
AG
1. Welcome to the party.
2. Let me know when you want to upgrade LC's.
3. Man, you're going to have to get an image shack account because the bleeders on premium are pretty entrenched.

ETA - I know my experience may vary because it's on a 40 series, but I could not be happier with my OME springs. Ride quality was recognizably better on first drive. I've been as heavy as I've ever had my truck loaded - and went over Imogene in that configuration…. 100% happy. Only rubbed once or twice on my 33s and those were in TITE spots.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I went with OME 2" lift. It's the perfect stance for me.
Naveronski
AG
For now.

Don't fight the temptation for 35's.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Yeah. No 35's for this. Pretty sure I would need to re-gear if I did that.
BTHOB-98
Guitarsoup
AG
My PO went went the largest tire he could fit in the spare tire thing, because the swinging rear tire is too much of a pain plus expense. I think they are 33s or so.

https://instagr.am/p/Cjd9m9SuDW7
Centerpole90
AG
My son's classmate growing up goes to Wake Forest and I guess they were out on spring break last week because he sent me this picture from Costa Rica while he was kicking around.

WTF kind of suspension has that rear been converted to? Is that a trailing arm with airbags or springs? I mean, the leaves are gone....

Naveronski
AG
That's what I would guess, trailing arms with springs.
'03ag
Things are happening.
Centerpole90
reddog90
AG
Centerpole90 said:

My son's classmate growing up goes to Wake Forest and I guess they were out on spring break last week because he sent me this picture from Costa Rica while he was kicking around.

WTF kind of suspension has that rear been converted to? Is that a trailing arm with airbags or springs? I mean, the leaves are gone....

They just need to softshell turtle that thing and send it up here with a $65k price tag.
reddog90
AG
Hidden winch mount or is this the beginning of a full bumper replacement?
reddog90
AG
Woods Ag said:

Finally found what I was looking for for a decent price. Goal of the vehicle is to eventually create a part-time overland vehicle for the family and I to get out in the mountains a couple of times a year. I like to backpack, and hope to continue, but a lifetime of injuries is starting to add up and I don't know how muc more I got in me.

Triple Locked

Everything works except the driver and passenger seats need some help. Runs great. Much more to follow as I start tinkering with this thing.

Opinions on Dobinson, OME, Ironman4x4 suspension lifts? I was going to go with a 2" lift, but others are saying I should go 3-4".

I'd post pictures, but I vowed to never give TexAgs a dollar anymore until they purge the miserable *******s from the premium forum. So imagine a black stock 97 LC for now.
Where in TX are you?
Dobinsons IMS is supposed to be excellent. OME is also tried and true but a lot of people say it's stiff. I have OME on my 60 and Ironman FCP on my 200 and have been happy with the way both are set up. I would personally go with as little lift and biggest tire possible. But 80s on 35s look perfect. You certainly don't need that to pound out highway miles to CO to go hike though.
'03ag
Hidden winch for now. Not sure I'll ever head down the full replacement path. Not worth the weight for me
'03ag
About done. Need to button up the bumper a bit and wind it up under load.

ATL Aggie
AG
reddog90 said:

Woods Ag said:

Triple Locked

Where in TX are you?
Dobinsons IMS is supposed to be excellent. OME is also tried and true but a lot of people say it's stiff. I have OME on my 60 and Ironman FCP on my 200 and have been happy with the way both are set up. I would personally go with as little lift and biggest tire possible. But 80s on 35s look perfect. You certainly don't need that to pound out highway miles to CO to go hike though.
I actually think 33"s look better on the 80 with a ~2" lift. 35's look a little cramped whereas 33's look proportionate for the scale of the truck.

I pulled the following images from ih8mud https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/post-up-your-80-series-2-inch-lifts-16-wheels-only-trying-to-get-an-idea-for-tyre-sizing.909585/:

35's:

33's:
aggiepaintrain
AG
33"s with 2" lift is the best look IMHO
Centerpole90
AG
Mine too.
aggiedata
AG
AggieGunslinger
AG
they use the word "reportedly" a lot in the description.
Woods Ag
AG
Just ordered Ironman FCP 4" kit and Im guessing 35s

I'm not in TX anymore. I'm up in Missouri. This rig will be used for over landing and camping trips here and in CO and anywhere else we venture to with family.
mrmill3218
AG
Looking at a stick shift 07 FJ Cruiser. Seems like I can get it cheaper than an 80/100 for my camping rig.

Thoughts?
Guitarsoup
AG
I was looking at those but I'm glad that I got my 100. More room and you don't have to deal with the suicide doors
Woods Ag
AG
I just don't like the look of the FJs. Not real sure on offroad capability.

I went 80 because I wanted solid front axle and factory lockers. Truth is, unless you're going on the far end of backcountry driving/offroading you'll be fine with whatever you choose. I'm just a dork.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.